Does non-drowsy Dramamine really work?

Sinderelli

DIS Veteran
I am prone to SEVERE motion sickness. I ususally sit out while DH and DS go on the rides, but this trip I want to go all out. I hate always missing the rides and would love to experience RNR, BTMR, TOT, etc. I have gone on a few of those in my younger days, but now...:sad2:

I would consider giving some of the attractions a try if the non-drowsy Dramamine works. Currently, I get sick even WATCHING a carousel!!

Anyone?

It works great for me. I usually take half of one. About 12 hours later, I do start to get a little drowsy, but by then, I'm usually ready for bed. I've tried sea bands, bonine and ginger capsules, but the only thing that works for me is Less Drowsy Dramamine.

The non-drowsy dramamine really helped my husband on the rides. He won't go again unless we get more;)

I am prone to SEVERE motion sickness. I ususally sit out while DH and DS go on the rides, but this trip I want to go all out. I hate always missing the rides and would love to experience RNR, BTMR, TOT, etc. I have gone on a few of those in my younger days, but now...:sad2:

I would consider giving some of the attractions a try if the non-drowsy Dramamine works. Currently, I get sick even WATCHING a carousel!!

Anyone?

Hi,

It works for me. It is actually called Less Drowsy but for me it gets the job done and I do not have to worry about nodding off in the middle of a client meeting or sales presentation.

I use the less drowsy dramamene. It works great. I take an entire pill and it doesn't make me sleepy. Don't get me wrong. I'm dragging by the end of the day, but that's because I've been walking and standing so much!

Less drowsy Dramamine is AKA in the medical field as Antivert. The vert in it stands for vertigo. It really does help. I have had something called BPV or benign positional vertigo, which is an inner ear problem that comes and goes occassionally and when I have it, I don't know which way is up. The less drowsy dramamine really helps. My doctor explained that dizziness and motion sickness happens when someone's brain overreacts to sudden position changes. Not everyone's does that, but in patients whose brain's overreacts, causing vertigo and nausea, the less drowsy dramamine calms that part of the brain down so you don't react as badly. I've not tried it for rides. I would love to ride more rides also. I'm on the sidelines for those.

Two years ago we went to DW and after my son and DH rode Star Tours, they came off of it and said it was a mild ride and that I could ride. I went on with them and wished I hadn't. We had reservations at Hollywood and Vine and I could barely eat. I was sitting in the restaurant still spinning. :rotfl:

Works great for me. :) My son takes it for long car rides and doesn't suffer any serious sleepiness from it. I second the comment about feeling more tired than usual later in the day, which I think is slightly enhanced by the Less Drowsy Dramamine, but as the other poster said, I'm usually ready for bed by then anyway.

Less drowsy Dramamine is AKA in the medical field as Antivert. The vert in it stands for vertigo. It really does help. I have had something called BPV or benign positional vertigo, which is an inner ear problem that comes and goes occassionally and when I have it, I don't know which way is up. The less drowsy dramamine really helps. My doctor explained that dizziness and motion sickness happens when someone's brain overreacts to sudden position changes. Not everyone's does that, but in patients whose brain's overreacts, causing vertigo and nausea, the less drowsy dramamine calms that part of the brain down so you don't react as badly. I've not tried it for rides. I would love to ride more rides also. I'm on the sidelines for those.

Two years ago we went to DW and after my son and DH rode Star Tours, they came off of it and said it was a mild ride and that I could ride. I went on with them and wished I hadn't. We had reservations at Hollywood and Vine and I could barely eat. I was sitting in the restaurant still spinning. :rotfl:

I have BPV too. It can really throw you for a loop when it hits. When I'm suffering from a bout of it, I can't even turn over in bed without feeling sick. I tried Star Tours in June. It is the closest I have come to being sick in public. Never again.

My doctor recommends meclizine for me which you can get in 12.5 mg or 25 mg over the counter. I get the lower dosage because too much of the higher dosage can wipe me out. Meclizine is the active ingredient in products like Bonine.

Bonnie works well for me. It made me a little drowsy the first time I had it, but it never did again. Ginger works well too, but the only bad thing is you have to take it several times a day. If you get severly motion sick, you should probably ask you doctor if he can prescribe something for you.

Oh boy do I feel for you!!! Motion sickness is the WORST. I suffered terribly from it for a long time, still do on long car rides or spinning rides of any kind. If I'm not careful i can get woozy on The Haunted Mansion or Spaceship Earth!

The Less drowsy dramamine has worked very well for me. It does wipe me out good by the end of the day, but it doesn't knock me flat like regular dramamine does.

I hope it will work for you. Part of the magic of Disney is the fun thrill rides and it's just no fun to have to watch from the sidelines!

good luck!!!:goodvibes

Dramamine Less Drowsy, Bonine, Antivert and meclizine are all the same thing! Meclizine is the generic name while Dramamine Less Drowsy formula, Antivert and Bonine are brand names.

I have used it both for preventing seasickness and for spinning rides which concerned me. (I can handle roller coasters, but the teacups, Mission Space and anything that spins gets to me.)

I definitely think it helps. It seems that most people have very limited, if any, sides effects.

My DH and I are also big fans of Bonine. He takes one before he flys(I take regular Dramamine while flying as I like to take a nap)and we both take one every morning while at WDW parks so we can go on whatever rides we want. I still won't do motion simulator rides(Space Tours or Mission Space),but don't fear the roller coasters anymore.

Yes, Less-drowsy Draminine works great! I'm a "Huffa-lump" size girl so I take 2. I do get a bit drowsy at the end of the day but it's time to wind down by then anyway!

Dramamine Less Drowsy, Bonine, Antivert and meclizine are all the same thing! Meclizine is the generic name while Dramamine Less Drowsy formula, Antivert and Bonine are brand names.

I have used it both for preventing seasickness and for spinning rides which concerned me. (I can handle roller coasters, but the teacups, Mission Space and anything that spins gets to me.)

I definitely think it helps. It seems that most people have very limited, if any, sides effects.

It sure is! I was so happy to find out that you can get Meclizine over the counter. Why some doctor's don't tell you that, I'll never understand. My OB/GYN tries to save me money all of the time, but my family doctor will write a prescription for plain ol' cough syrup. I'm like, yeah right! Then I toss the prescription and get it off the counter.

Allison - I have to take half a pill also because I'm easily knocked out by medicine. I had never heard of BPV before and when it hit me, I thought I had a major problem with my brain! I was so scared, but to find out that I simply had rocks loose in my ear, well, my husband said he already knew that! LOL! :lmao:

It sure is! I was so happy to find out that you can get Meclizine over the counter. Why some doctor's don't tell you that, I'll never understand. My OB/GYN tries to save me money all of the time, but my family doctor will write a prescription for plain ol' cough syrup. I'm like, yeah right! Then I toss the prescription and get it off the counter.

Allison - I have to take half a pill also because I'm easily knocked out by medicine. I had never heard of BPV before and when it hit me, I thought I had a major problem with my brain! I was so scared, but to find out that I simply had rocks loose in my ear, well, my husband said he already knew that! LOL! :lmao:

It is scary! I had all sorts of testing done-MRI's and everything. I ended up seeing a neurologist.

I recommend people buy meclizine because it is so much cheaper than the brand name products. It's funny that my doctor didn't tell me it was OTC but my pharmicist did.

It work for me to, but even half a tablet makes me sleepy. You should try it before going on vacation to see how much or how little are affected by it.

It work for me to, but even half a tablet makes me sleepy. You should try it before going on vacation to see how much or how little are affected by it.

:thumbsup2 Great idea!

Thanks for the responses everyone- glad to know those with experience can give me their take! I was hit with a severe case of vertigo in my senior year in college- I was sick for about a month. I was OK for a while, and then during my second year of teaching I perforated my right eardrum. I swear, I haven't been the same since. I used to be able to go on roller coasters but not rides that spin. Now, I can do neither.

I will not try rides like Star Tours or Mission: Space, but maybe now I can go on Splash Mountain without getting sick on the drop!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter