• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does non-drowsy Dramamine really work?

My sister and I both take Dramamine before we fly and then on any days we go to the park where we might be prone to motion sickness. It does tend to knock me out about 8-10 hours after taking it, but a short nap does wonders. The first time I flew we had taken some before the flight, which was from Detroit to Chicago, we had gone to Navy Pier and the zoo. Once we checked into the hotel we were going to go swimming then go shopping on Magnificent Mile, but we both made the mistake of laying down on the beds. My sister had MTV on. I think it was MADE and we both were just knocked out. We woke up much later and decided we had better get up. We laugh about it now. We were sad when we saw that Disney doesn't have MTV on their cable lineup. How were were suppose to take our Dramamine induced nap without MADE! :lmao: :rotfl2:

Even the non-drowsy dramamine makes both DH & I drowsy. It helped with the motion sickness but missed the fun because we had trouble keeping our eyes open.

We found that ginger tablets work for us. Especially DH who has always had motion sickness. He was able to ride Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, and Splash Mountain. He wouldn't even go near them before the ginget tablets.

The non drowsy Dramamine works great. I get vertigo and motion sickness pretty easy. We went on The Disney Cruise Line 2 years ago. I was pretty nervous but I didn't want to not go. So I got the non drowsy. I wanted to be able to have one of those umbrella drinks. You have to be really careful if you take the regular Dramamine and have a cocktail. The regular dramamine will make you drowsy and if you have a cocktail it will make it worse. The non-drowsy dramamine I didn't have that trouble. You could still feel the movement of the ship. But it did not bother me. I started taking it 2 days before the trip and took it 2 days after I got off the ship. It worked great.

Unfortunately non-drowsy Dramamine still makes DH and I sleepy. We took it early in the morning so we could ride Mission Space. DH was snoring through the American Adventure and the French film in Epcot. It was not from boredom; we couldn't keep our eyes open. :faint: We were zonked until early evening. Never Again! Maybe try it prior to going to see how it effects you.

Rides like Star Tours and Mission Space really get to me, but the Less Drowsy Dramamine helps a ton. I took it before MS and was fine, my BF opted to skip it and was green for an hour. As others have said by the end of the day you'll feel a lot more wiped out, but I actually like that because I can fall asleep more quickly. Without it I'm too excited thinking about what we get to do the next day! ;)

Meclizine products do work, but they make me as drowsy as dimenhydrinate products (which is Dramamine, regular). I swear by crystallized ginger.

The one that I use most is the chewable formula. I haven't checked to see if it's non-drowsy, but it doesn't make me drowsy. I use it, because it seems to work a LOT faster than any of the others. The benefit of that is I don't have to plan ahead... I can realize "oh my, I'm about to do something that I'm going to get sick from". Then I chew it, let it fully dissolve in my mouth (my tongue goes numb), but the effects are almost immediate once it's dissolved.

Myself, and 2 DD age 5 and 4 all suffer motion sickness. WE all take the dramamine chewables, 1/2 a tablet and we do fine. However, I have never taken it and tried the teacups...still afraid to do that... HA HA HA - however my baby girls says she wants to ride the teacups this time, and I said, NO WAY!:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter