• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does Disneyland have magic bands?

Minuet888

DIS Veteran
I know magic bands were going to be introduced at Disneyland. Were they ever? We go in about 48 days. Should we purchase some? We are just buying tickets though not a hotel or package or anything

I know magic bands were going to be introduced at Disneyland. Were they ever? We go in about 48 days. Should we purchase some? We are just buying tickets though not a hotel or package or anything

MagicBand+ can now be used at Disneyland. I used mine yesterday. They aren’t necessary but I thought mine was convenient.

Yes, you can purchase and use Magicband+ only, at Disneyland resort. It doesn't have all the same functions as at WDW. There is no: unlock resort doors, tap to pay, or tap to enter parks.
At DLR, CMs have to scan your band with a handheld scanner, and it's slow.

I can’t find a place to purchase them online? Is it only until you get to the park that you can purchase them?
I saw amazon has a magic and shop but I wasn’t sure

I can’t find a place to purchase them online? Is it only until you get to the park that you can purchase them?
I saw amazon has a magic and shop but I wasn’t sure

Shopdisney.com

You can buy them at various locations at the Disneyland resort. They have a ton of them.

Which is why I’m confused. Someone here said you can’t tap to enter parks but it clearly shows on the website you can tap to enter parks. So it does hold something. That’s why I’m wondering if it holds a DAS as well

Which is why I’m confused. Someone here said you can’t tap to enter parks but it clearly shows on the website you can tap to enter parks. So it does hold something. That’s why I’m wondering if it holds a DAS as well
We are getting them because they work with DAS. You book your DAS time on your phone. Then when it is your turn to ride, the DAS person has to scan their ticket or they can scan their Magicband+. Then, each member of the party has to scan their ticket or Magicband+. We are a party of 6, so I wanted everyone to scan their own Magicbands at each ride instead of me having to get out my phone and scan everyone’s tickets.

The cast member at the gate does tap/scan your band with their handheld scanner. It was a little slow when the bands were first rolled out as it seemed some CMs were getting used to tapping the bands. But I've used my band many times now to enter the parks and find the process very quick.

You can also use it for PhotoPass, but only with a photographer. There's no way to tap and get photos from the monitors after getting off an attraction.

I love it even as is just for entry (we hop between parks a lot) and Genie+ when we get it. If they do actually add parking entry and Magic Key discounts scanning (I don't even need to pay with the band, I just want to use it to get my discount applied), that'd be a bonus for me.

The not tapping to enter a park just meant they don’t have those fancy light up Mickey readers with the fingerprint things like they have at WDW. But you can still enter the park with your MB+ without getting out your phone.

I wish it could do the hotel room key. Don’t care much about tap to pay.

At WDW there are tap points at the turn style, along with the finger print scan. At DL, tap points are not installed. The CMs at the turnstiles scan the MagicBand+, it takes two scans with their handheld to register entry. My DD has one, though t's not lickety split I still find it convenient for me to only have to scan in myself & DH with the app.

I've used mine on 2 trips. It was very convenient and fun on the first one because my sister and I both had one and entering the parks was much nicer (not having to have my phone out).

The best thing to me was using it for Photopass. The photographer just tapped my band and voila, the pics were there.

But this last trip, I had one, my 6-yo grandson got one the first day, and my DD did not have one. DD and DGS had comp tickets (different one each day) which essentially rendered DGS's band useless at the turnstile when first entering, even though we tried to enter his ticket code. While he greatly enjoyed the pulsation and colors and figured out quickly that if he tapped the middle twice it would light up, he didn't really get much good out of it. He did get a lot of compliments on it which made him very happy (he chose Lilo and Stitch).

I personally love having one. I think it depends on how often you go, whether or not you have photopass maybe?, and how it fits into your budget. I anticipate, or maybe hope is a better word, that they will add more functionality over time. DLR is very slow to roll out new tech, though.

And speaking of slow, I cannot seem to break the habit of checking my band to see what time it is. I'm older and grew up wearing a watch. I have the Disneyland castle MB+. My dd would see me look at my band and say, "Is it still Castle o'Clock?" Amazing how many times I did that and I haven't worn a watch in several years.

MB+ is like an old iWatch for DLR.

Buy: As DLGal already pointed out - buy on shop.disney.com They have occasional sales on them too, so keep an eye out for that. Yes, they can be used both at DLR and WDW -- they link differently like everything between the two sites.

DLR specific: MB+ links TO A TICKET/PASS, as does everything DLR these days. DAS is ticket/pass specific too. So wherever that ticket is, so does the MB+ function go with it. If CM scans the MB+, it's looking up the ticket and the specifics liked to that ticket -- DAS, Genie+, Fastpass/LL, reservations.

Rides/Turnstiles:
All the park specific scanners can scan the MB+ -- and it is 'SLOW'. The reset between scans takes a sec or two; so scanning in our party of four at the turnstiles or entry to ride takes about twice as long as an experienced holder scanning the party with their phone. ALAS, our DS loves it. Being the DAS holder, he scans first, answers the stairs inquiry and rest of us tap in too to follow and show him the color acknowledge on the tap -- all fun!

Rooms/tap to pay: Not yet. Waiting for this! 'soon'.

I do wish they didn't do the proprietary charging cord. Adding to the mess of cords we already travel with.

It is VERY slow tapping in at rides. It is much faster to insert one phone with all the loaded tickets and simply swipe as each one is scanned. Takes us 5 seconds to scan 4 barcodes on the phone. We were behind a family of like 10 last weekend at Big Thunder LL who all had bands and it took them FOREVER to all scan in and they were all congregated around all the other machines. A CM was yelling at them to proceed through after scanning in but they weren't listening. Held up everyone behind them.

It is VERY slow tapping in at rides. It is much faster to insert one phone with all the loaded tickets and simply swipe as each one is scanned. Takes us 5 seconds to scan 4 barcodes on the phone. We were behind a family of like 10 last weekend at Big Thunder LL who all had bands and it took them FOREVER to all scan in and they were all congregated around all the other machines. A CM was yelling at them to proceed through after scanning in but they weren't listening. Held up everyone behind them.
I'll never understand this!! I've seen so many groups scan and not move like there is an actual gate blocking them, no mater how many CM's are yelling and motioning to move after scanning in. It would be like going through turnstile and just stopping in middle of turn. 🤷‍♂️

And speaking of slow, I cannot seem to break the habit of checking my band to see what time it is. I'm older and grew up wearing a watch. I have the Disneyland castle MB+. My dd would see me look at my band and say, "Is it still Castle o'Clock?" Amazing how many times I did that and I haven't worn a watch in several years.
Haha, same here. I found NOT having the time on the silly band to be super irritating. If someone comes up with a slide on clock I'd add it so I did not have to keep pulling out my phone to check the time - sort of defeats the purpose of the band if you have to do that all the time anyway. I would trade the "fancy lights up" features for a clock any day!

Last edited:
I'll never understand this!! I've seen so many groups scan and not move like there is an actual gate blocking them, no mater how many CM's are yelling and motioning to move after scanning in. It would be like going through turnstile and just stopping in middle of turn. 🤷‍♂️

I honestly don't think it has anything to do with Magic Bands vs. Phones. People are just gonna... be people. (I swear, Disney is such sensory overload for people, that they lose their brains.) It's like they're waiting for directions and don't realize they can just go once it turns green.

The thing that makes me laugh is when you walk up and see people lined up at one scanner and completely ignoring that there's a second one. I just walk up to the free one, boop, and go and I'm like... silly silly people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter