Does David's tell you if the renter cancels?

wuzzles

Mouseketeer
With everything going on, I'm just wondering...

I know they don't offer refunds so there is no reason that they would have to tell you, but I am just curious if anyone knows if David would notify the point owner that the renter is canceling a trip?

I cant imagine why they would not let you know the renter has decided not to go. This way, you can cancel the reservation from your account. Granted, the renter gets no benefit or a refund for doing so, but the way I look at it, the owner might.

I have a rental checking in in 3 weeks. I know David's tells his clients to purchase trip insurance in case of cancellation because he does not offer refunds. However, if WDW closes and the reservation is cancelled, the points that typically go into holding......wonder if Disney will waive that rule due to park closure. So, is it possible the owner may benefit from getting the full rental fee and their points back into their account?

I have a rental checking in in 3 weeks. I know David's tells his clients to purchase trip insurance in case of cancellation because he does not offer refunds. However, if WDW closes and the reservation is cancelled, the points that typically go into holding......wonder if Disney will waive that rule due to park closure. So, is it possible the owner may benefit from getting the full rental fee and their points back into their account?

Yes, that is a real possibility.

So, is it possible the owner may benefit from getting the full rental fee and their points back into their account?

I have banked points (Feb UY) rented out through David’s for a June reservation. I know it’s 3 months away, but if the renters decide to back out, I sure hope David’s would let me know. I wouldn’t mind contacting the renters directly to see if they want to move their vacation. I won’t be able to use them and there’s no sense for them to expire.

Wow, some people sound greedy. If you get your points back why wouldnt you refund or reschedule for renter. That would be the decent thing to do. That just seems wrong. If Disney does right by the owner you should also follow suit. Even with insurance it doesnt cover a pandemic and cancel for any reason has not been available for weeks.

I have 4 reservations rented thru David’s this week. Terrible time for this to happen to all the renters. I just checked my account and there are no points in holding, or extra points in the account. And no updates from David’s. And all these reservations used borrowed points, so I have little flexibility to reschedule. Definitely a terrible situation for renters.

Wow, some people sound greedy. If you get your points back why wouldnt you refund or reschedule for renter. That would be the decent thing to do. That just seems wrong. If Disney does right by the owner you should also follow suit. Even with insurance it doesnt cover a pandemic and cancel for any reason has not been available for weeks.

In some cases, owners may not be able to rebook a renter for when they could go Because points might expire

Yes, I am sure that some owners would try. I would. But, if I couldn’t rebook a renter, even if I had points back, I would not be willing to refund the money. It’s a risk of renting and again, this is unique which is why I would bet many owners would try to make changes for them, which is not typical.

Even before this, if a renter cancels, an owner may end up with points a d no refund is given. So that wouldn’t really be anything that hasn’t happened in the past. It’s just with this, it’s going to be a lot more.

I received this email today from a broker (not David's) that I have used to rent points, and have some current rentals scheduled with (none for March, though):

Valued DVC Member,
Given the current outbreak of COVID-19 and the impact it’s having globally, we have numerous guests that are reaching out to us with concern about their upcoming Disney trips. We are closely monitoring Disney’s response to the virus and have communicated to guests that we will try to find viable solutions.
With that said, if you have an outstanding reservation that you’ve booked for a guest, there is a possibility that we reach out to you if your guest is concerned about traveling. This correspondence will simply be to see if we can work out a solution for the guests (i.e. moving dates, changing guest lists, etc.).
Rest assured, your payments are not in jeopardy, we will just work to find a solution that works for everybody.
Again, we value you as our members and our priority is open communication with you. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.
Take care,

Seems reasonable and I would certainly have no problem with trying to change dates etc. I would never attempt to make a windfall profit from this unfortunate situation.

My situation is that I was just curious.

This was my 1st time renting out points. We always run short but had some troubles with the online system vs phone reservation last year and about 30 points got stranded in this use year. David rented out the 30 points for us. Unfortunately, check in for the reservation is Saturday. Doubly unfortunate for our renter, we have an April use year so I don't think there is anything we could do for them unless Disney decides to be super generous with the pixie dust.

I received this email today from a broker (not David's) that I have used to rent points, and have some current rentals scheduled with (none for March, though):

Valued DVC Member,
Given the current outbreak of COVID-19 and the impact it’s having globally, we have numerous guests that are reaching out to us with concern about their upcoming Disney trips. We are closely monitoring Disney’s response to the virus and have communicated to guests that we will try to find viable solutions.
With that said, if you have an outstanding reservation that you’ve booked for a guest, there is a possibility that we reach out to you if your guest is concerned about traveling. This correspondence will simply be to see if we can work out a solution for the guests (i.e. moving dates, changing guest lists, etc.).
Rest assured, your payments are not in jeopardy, we will just work to find a solution that works for everybody.
Again, we value you as our members and our priority is open communication with you. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.
Take care,

Seems reasonable and I would certainly have no problem with trying to change dates etc. I would never attempt to make a windfall profit from this unfortunate situation.

Definitely! I can’t imagine any owner not at least being willing to help get it rescheduled. My renters aren’t scheduled until August so I figure by then it will be fine.

I understand if the points were expiring or if Disney did not allow the owner to recoup the points. And i get if a renter cancels for some other reason. I just think if the owner was made whole by Disney , they should at least offer to pass that on. This is not a normal situation and so many could take a financial hit. If the parks and resorts are closed , it seems reasonable that Disney would be accommodating to members. I am sure there would be owners that would want to do right by the renter.

I have banked points (Feb UY) rented out through David’s for a June reservation. I know it’s 3 months away, but if the renters decide to back out, I sure hope David’s would let me know. I wouldn’t mind contacting the renters directly to see if they want to move their vacation. I won’t be able to use them and there’s no sense for them to expire.

Please only contract the renter through David's.

I rented out borrowed 2021 points. If Disney refunded and unbanked my points, I would be happy to fully refund the renter (the amount I received from David's). Of course date/guest changes are no problem.

Your intention to offer to move dates for the renter is the decent thing to do. However, if despite your efforts, the dates still don't work out for them, or parks are closed for much longer than currently announced, disappointed people can turn angry. You don't want to receive hundreds of emails/calls for trying to do the right thing. Do it through the intermediary so your details stay private. Unfortunately no good deed goes unpunished!

I understand if the points were expiring or if Disney did not allow the owner to recoup the points. And i get if a renter cancels for some other reason. I just think if the owner was made whole by Disney , they should at least offer to pass that on. This is not a normal situation and so many could take a financial hit. If the parks and resorts are closed , it seems reasonable that Disney would be accommodating to members. I am sure there would be owners that would want to do right by the renter.

The only glitch is that some owners may no longer have the money paid to them to refund the renter. An owner is made whole with points being returned but that is really no help the renter.

So yes, I agree that owners should do the best they can to reschedule but I can’t fault any owner who isn’t able to make a renter whole by returning the money.

Please only contract the renter through David's.

I rented out borrowed 2021 points. If Disney refunded and unbanked my points, I would be happy to fully refund the renter (the amount I received from David's). Of course date/guest changes are no problem.

Your intention to offer to move dates for the renter is the decent thing to do. However, if despite your efforts, the dates still don't work out for them, or parks are closed for much longer than currently announced, disappointed people can turn angry. You don't want to receive hundreds of emails/calls for trying to do the right thing. Do it through the intermediary so your details stay private. Unfortunately no good deed goes unpunished!

Agreed. Thank you for the advice!

Side question, though. Does my detail stay private to the renter? I was always under the impression that I know his details as much as he knows mine. After all, I forwarded a room request confirmation email to David's that has my contact information on it. But I am not sure if they forwarded it to the renter.

Agreed. Thank you for the advice!

Side question, though. Does my detail stay private to the renter? I was always under the impression that I know his details as much as he knows mine. After all, I forwarded a room request confirmation email to David's that has my contact information on it. But I am not sure if they forwarded it to the renter.

They have your names on the rental agreement. If the renter is motivated enough, most of us are Googleable I guess. David's does not give your contact details to the renter.

Reactions: EYL
The only glitch is that some owners may no longer have the money paid to them to refund the renter. An owner is made whole with points being returned but that is really no help the renter.

So yes, I agree that owners should do the best they can to reschedule but I can’t fault any owner who isn’t able to make a renter whole by returning the money.
Or even if they have the money, they may need it for something important, such as food, rent, or expected medical bills. Many people live paycheck to paycheck and we are in uncertain times.

No one is trying to be greedy here. Of course, an owner would try to attempt to reschedule. I have my own trip to reschedule as well. However, I don't think Disney is going to refund my dues if I can't travel due to this pandemic. At best, I can hope there is availability to reschedule at a time I can travel.

Maybe I misunderstood the sentiment in the post. This could go round and round. My point was it did not seem as if there were concern for the renters financial loss.
i agree there are many people who live paycheck to paycheck or save years for a Disney vacation. And by no means do I think an owner should put themself in a deficit, just hope they would be as flexible as possible. Just hope this is short lived and much to do about nothing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!