Do you still play the Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah in your home?

Buzz Rules

To Infinity and Beyond
Do you still play the Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah song in your home or is it not allowed to be played anymore in your household? Not trying to cause controversy, just genuinely curious. Thanks.

I have a music box that plays it (obviously without lyrics). It looks like this:

1656270040609.png (photo from Google search)

and it not themed to Splash Mountain. My DH gave it to me years ago as a gift, so I have no intention of getting rid of it.

There have been rude words and harmless words to that tune over the years, but I expect that is true of many melodies, and I think it's up to us to filter out the bad in things in keep the good. (I would, of course, not play the song around someone who is personally bothered by it.)

I have a set of Disney music vinyl LPs from the late 70’s/early 80’s covering the history of Disney music and the song is included on them. I was without a turntable for more than 20 years, and recently received one for my birthday. I allow the album side with the song to play without interruption. But since I try not to bug friends with my Disney addiction, I am the only one who hears it.

Well, it isn't prohibited, but it isn't on my play list. I always feel sorry for the family of the star of Song of the South, James Baskett. The controversy has overshadowed an amazing performance. James Baskett died just 2 years after the movie came out.

My middle son is obsessed with Song of the South in general. We were gifted a version of it, so he has actually watched it. I am not offended by it in the least. We have had some amazing conversations regarding race, racism, and how far the film industry has come.

My middle son is obsessed with Song of the South in general. We were gifted a version of it, so he has actually watched it. I am not offended by it in the least. We have had some amazing conversations regarding race, racism, and how far the film industry has come.
I have always felt that making something a teaching moment, instead of a controversy works better.

I hear it when it comes up on my playlist of parks music, often as part of the parades that I like to listen to - some are from Tokyo Disney. I will still listen to it.

Always thought of it as some popular Disney song with some non-sense lyrics. No idea what the supposed controversy is and don't really care. I would imagine someone on some social media site found yet another thing to be 'outraged' about............LOL.

Always thought of it as some popular Disney song with some non-sense lyrics. No idea what the supposed controversy is and don't really care. I would imagine someone on some social media site found yet another thing to be 'outraged' about............LOL.

That's somewhat accurate. Obviously the movie is problematic of course, and that's well known, but the article tracing the song's origins does make some leaps, though logical to some extent, which can't really be proven. Of course, I can understand why Disney would want to err on the side of caution, because really if it offends anybody - regardless of if anyone thinks that it should - then there's no problem with removing it. It's just a song after all.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter