Do you receive a Christmas (or Holiday, or End of Year) Bonus from your Employer?

I got an annual bonus in Oct. based on profits and DH will (hopefully) get one in Feb. also based on profits, not holiday related at all. My Christmas lunch was today (no booze), DH's will be Friday night, lots of booze :thumbsup2

I'm a SAHM, DH works for a large oil company. No Holiday bonus. They do get a bonus in February, based on company earnings. Typically, its large. For the holidays they host a concert for the families. This year its Restless Heart. No booze, cookies and punch, Santa. Its very nice. Its tomorrow night!

I work at a public library, no bonuses. We do a potluck though.

what is a "potluck"?

we're in the uk, and neither me nor dh, nor the majority of people we know receive any bonus payments, anytime of year.
we consider ourselves lucky to be employed. :)

For me, there's an annual bonus each year (paid in late January for performance over the previous year). It's based on a percentage of salary, and is rather substantial.

For the actual holidays, typically in December we are given a non-cash gift (~$400 value) and the company pays taxes on it as well.

One thing this thread is making me think about, is there a difference between a holiday bonus, an annual bonus, and an end of year bonus? I'm thinking a holiday bonus is something very different from the other two. In my mind at least, annual bonuses are typically something that are spelled out in writing right alongside salary and benefits, whereas a true "holiday" bonus is something that is extra, above and beyond any contractual obligations. I realize the net-net of it might be all the same to the recipient, but at the same time I know I've heard of cases where an annual bonus that is part of compensation is sometimes masqueraded as a "holiday bonus" as though it's some kind of gift. I'd feel a bit annoyed by that.

I agree that there is a difference, and mine is definitely an 'annual bonus', based on performance and the results for the year. However, just to clarify, it is not contractual. They completely have the option to give us nothing at all.

Speaking of above and beyond, the week after Hurricane Sandy, my company gave anyone who lived in a Sandy-affected area who was displaced $2500. I thought that was pretty generous! I think about 250 people were given it.

My DH does not get a bonus. His company throws a holiday party, but this year and last year, it was over an hour away to get to it, so we skipped it. Previous years, they had a lunch during a work day, but since my DH is on the technical end, he is always out in the field so has never been able to participate in the lunch. Basically, I think his company has these parties for the "front office staff"- you know, the folks who make the big bucks...

Bolding mine.

I resent the implication that front-office employees are overpaid and thoughtless.

At my company, our "field employees" are union personnel, and based on the rates that the newspaper published during their last strike, each of them makes 3x per hour what I do, plus we pay their health insurance and pension contribution.

Regardless, I organized the holiday party that they were all invited to, and I will organize the Christmas luncheon for them on the 21st.

No, I am not expecting a holiday bonus. My boss did re-gift me a Honeybaked Ham certificate, though.

what is a "potluck"?

we're in the uk, and neither me nor dh, nor the majority of people we know receive any bonus payments, anytime of year.
we consider ourselves lucky to be employed. :)

Everyone attending the party brings a dish of something they enjoy. A "true" potluck has no sign up sheets and it truly is luck if everyone brings something different. In most office parties, though, there is a sign-up sheet so that the party organizers know that not everyone is bringing pie.

Everyone attending the party brings a dish of something they enjoy. A "true" potluck has no sign up sheets and it truly is luck if everyone brings something different. In most office parties, though, there is a sign-up sheet so that the party organizers know that not everyone is bringing pie.

oh, i see.thanks.
but not with any assistance from employer though?

scrooge seems as though he's hard at work at some places, and others have amazing holiday cheer, if only life was equal and balanced! :goodvibes

No bonus here at our FORTUNE 500 software company but it was just announced that our private venture capitalist owner group is going to borrow a quarter of a billion dollars and pay it out in dividends to themselves.

Makes that 1.43% raise we've recieved over the last 2 years worthwhile.

One thing this thread is making me think about, is there a difference between a holiday bonus, an annual bonus, and an end of year bonus? I'm thinking a holiday bonus is something very different from the other two. In my mind at least, annual bonuses are typically something that are spelled out in writing right alongside salary and benefits, whereas a true "holiday" bonus is something that is extra, above and beyond any contractual obligations. I realize the net-net of it might be all the same to the recipient, but at the same time I know I've heard of cases where an annual bonus that is part of compensation is sometimes masqueraded as a "holiday bonus" as though it's some kind of gift. I'd feel a bit annoyed by that.

At my company the "annual" bonus and "holiday" bonus are one and the same. Our fiscal year ends June 30th, by the time the numbers are crunched and they know if they will pay a bonus (and if so how much) it's August. Rather than pay it in August or September, they wait and give it to us the first week or two of December. But they let us know in August what the bonus (if any) will be so we can plan our holiday spending accordingly (No Griswald "Jelly of the Month Club" situtation for us! :) ).

I agree that there is a difference, and mine is definitely an 'annual bonus', based on performance and the results for the year. However, just to clarify, it is not contractual. They completely have the option to give us nothing at all.

Speaking of above and beyond, the week after Hurricane Sandy, my company gave anyone who lived in a Sandy-affected area who was displaced $2500. I thought that was pretty generous! I think about 250 people were given it.

I just wanted to say this is very awesome of your company.

I work in publishing and the first company i worked for did not have any bonuses (one year we got $50 and 1 share of stock) but the new company gives a bomus if you at a certain level and the company does well. I am happy to say i am at that level this year!!! :dance3:

My friend works in finance and usually gets a bonus equal to her yearly salary.

I am a case manager working for an NPO.

Last year I got a raise, which they pro-rated to July 1st, so that was a nice chunk of change as well as a gift that keeps giving. We also got bonuses from the board. That was my first christmas with them, so I am not sure what to expect this year. For the past two years (as long as I have been here) we have also gotten great bonuses in the summer. I am keeping my fingers crossed until our holiday luncheon :)

Pffft!! NO!!! :confused3 I wish we got something....
My DH works for a big/well-known phone company and no they do not give bonuses...or have a party...no gift. Nothing!!! :mad: The company gets more and more greedy every year on top of that... I've told him several times I wish he could get a better position somewhere else...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter