Do you put TSA approved locks on your luggage?

Yes, I don't want the zippers in it to open. One time I saw a bag literally spilling it's contents on the pickup carrousel. Plus I have seen airport luggage handlers drop baby carries to the floor even when they are supposed to be careful. The less chance my bag has of opening up the better.
This!!!! We use the tsa locks, but really just to make sure our suitcases stay closed. We also once saw a suitcase come down the chute to the carousel, opening up, and clothes spilling out. I felt so bad for whoever owned the bag, as their clothes and open suitcase went around & around.

I’ve never locked our luggage and I’ve been traveling for 50 years. I carry any valuables with us.
Same. I don't think I've locked a suitcase in 30 years. But our suitcases are pretty much just clothes, maybe some snacks for the room if it's Disney. Anything personal or valuable goes in a carryon.

I will never understand why people put valuables in checked luggage. Everything (medication, pictures, keys, etc) that would be awful to lose goes carryon.

We also use packing cubes for everything we pack, so it's super easy to switch the small cubes out if one bag is overweight. Sometimes I even pack an empty light duffel bag for just in case.

Never bothered to lock my luggage and not had any issues. The soft-sided type I have would probably be fairly easy to cut open using any type of knife so I don't see any point in locking. Once my luggage has been checked it is in the secured area of the airport. While things can happen, I would assume most who have access to my checked luggage also have some sort of security clearance provided by the airport. I also never put cash/valuables in the luggage and always carry those things with me.

Never bothered to lock my luggage and not had any issues. The soft-sided type I have would probably be fairly easy to cut open using any type of knife so I don't see any point in locking. Once my luggage has been checked it is in the secured area of the airport. While things can happen, I would assume most who have access to my checked luggage also have some sort of security clearance provided by the airport. I also never put cash/valuables in the luggage and always carry those things with me.
I hate to break it to you, but those people are exactly the ones that are stealing from everyone's bags. They are the only ones that have access to it when it is out of your control, who else would it be? Locking is more of a deterrent. They will be more likely to bypass a locked bag for one that they can easily zip open quickly.

Unless they want the clothes/toiletries that are in my luggage, I am not sure what the issue here really is. Never had anyone steal things from my luggage, so it seems like more of a theoretical threat then reality. Secured areas also have plenty of surveillance cameras and while I am sure someone will say those can be defeated, I feel more secure at airports then most other public places.

Unless they want the clothes/toiletries that are in my luggage, I am not sure what the issue here really is. Never had anyone steal things from my luggage, so it seems like more of a theoretical threat then reality. Secured areas also have plenty of surveillance cameras and while I am sure someone will say those can be defeated, I feel more secure at airports then most other public places.
"Theoretical threat"? I don't know what to do with that statement, it is so patently false. Why do you think that they have all of these luggage locks to begin with? I have not had anything stolen either, but that does not mean that I don't understand the reality of it. It is not about being defeated, it is about understanding what is going on around you. To claim that baggage theft is "theoretical" is just denying reality.

I was expressing my opinion which is what the OP asked for. Apparently you don't agree, so I am not going to argue with you.

Locking is more of a deterrent. They will be more likely to bypass a locked bag for one that they can easily zip open quickly.
So, the thief unzips my bag looking for something to steal. What do they find? Clothes. If they want my clothes, they must need them more than I do. Your locked bag? You don't think a thief could easily get master keys? Heck, a 5 second search on Amazon returned the following: https://www.amazon.com/Luggage-Univ...pY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1
I'm sure further searching the internet would find others. As for this...
Why do you think that they have all of these luggage locks to begin with?
To make the customers feel safer.

I tsa lock every time now. I used to only do it sometimes and then I realized when I didn’t lock it my suitcase was much more likely to be throughly gone through to the point I could tell it ( stuff mixed up in the wrong spots). Since I started always using the TSA Lock, hasn’t happened since. I guess they’re more careful in a manual or review or, more likely Imho, they don’t like to bother with unlocking 😂

So, the thief unzips my bag looking for something to steal. What do they find? Clothes. If they want my clothes, they must need them more than I do. Your locked bag? You don't think a thief could easily get master keys? Heck, a 5 second search on Amazon returned the following: https://www.amazon.com/Luggage-Universal-Approved-Suitcase-Password/dp/B0BRZZLZBF/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=36HU96ER3ECMB&keywords=tsa+lock+key&qid=1683501334&sprefix=tsa+lock+key,aps,199&sr=8-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyTVFEMTMzVlczNTJVJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjk0MzI4MUpQQVJCNUFSNDY2UyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNDI2MDg0M1BTSVZISlVYTkZCMSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1
I'm sure further searching the internet would find others. As for this...

To make the customers feel safer.
Yeah, it is dumb to put anything of value in your checked bag. But to fair, some beauty products are extremely expensive and can not be brought in your carry on because of the liquid/gel bans. Locking is a small deterrent if someone just wants to take their chances at a quick grab. It is faster to just unzip a bag than it is to fuss with the lock. It is exactly like locking your car doors. It stops the person just passing by, but not anyone intent on breaking in anyway.

It is exactly like locking your car doors. It stops the person just passing by, but not anyone intent on breaking in anyway.
You can easily buy a TSA master key, Sam supplied an Amazon link.

Can you buy a master key that opens any car? It's not the same.

I pack an empty duffel bag. I fly Southwest. If I need extra space coming home I'll pack the duffel with dirt clothes. I use zip ties, to prevent accidental opening, not for security.

I was given luggage straps on a.tour. I use them. It offers protection if an old suitcase opens. Makes it extremely easy to find bags on the carousel. I got the straps for free, not sure they're worth buying.

But to fair, some beauty products are extremely expensive and can not be brought in your carry on because of the liquid/gel bans.
I can understand that. I would think the odds would be against a thief looking for beauty products, but maybe not.
It is exactly like locking your car doors.
Not really. While I don't keep anything of value in my car, the car ITSELF has value. I lock my car doors to deter someone from stealing the car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter