Do You Hunt?

As to what would happen to the animals if the numbers weren't kept down by hunting - if you look at some of the studies done on places (like animal preserves) where hunting is stopped, the natural balance will resume over time. The numbers will increase to the maximum capacity and then decrease. New predators will move into the area. And predators take the sicker, weaker animals rather than going for the biggest, most impressive ones.

This type of utopia can only take place on a massive scale, and even then it is a rarity when it works. Controlling deer in a suburban area could never work with a hands off approach. And even in extremely rural areas, removing man from the equation can be disastrous - example, the anti fur campaign has resulted in many species of bird being driven to near extinction. Man has harvested fur for thousands of years & these animals depend on man to control their numbers. The lack of such control has caused a boom among those animals and they've decimated more delicate species.

In Africa, elephants left unchecked would destroy their habitat, turning it into a desert incapable of supporting elephants for hundreds of years. Were they allowed to roam the whole of Africa, this wouldn't be a problem. But, that's not realistic.

The fact is because man has altered the habitat, it is man's responsibility to maintain the balance.

None of this is "why" I hunt. But, it is "why" I will never apologize for hunting.

My friend is an avid hunter and when we were roommates I would sometimes wake up in the middle of the night to the smell of venison cooking. The whole house would emerge eager for a taste of his night's journey...he left the kitchen a mess, but it was worth the treat :-)

I had a brother who used to hunt with his in laws. I was pretty much the only one who would eat his deer meat. He would make sausage and jerky. He was actually killed on a hunting trip 3 years ago supposedly by an inexperienced hunter he was teaching. Now I cringe when I hear about people going hunting. He was a careful hunter but accidents happen.

I don't hunt unless you count fishing but that rarely happens these days.

I live in a hunting area and for the most part people are responsible hunters. Sadly there are still those morons that get a kick out of shooting koalas and other Australian wildlife (illegal, only legal for kangaroos with a permit) rather than sticking to deer, ducks, rabbits, foxes, and wild pigs. The same morons also go hunting in National Parks (illegal) and also go spot lighting (also illegal). I know it infuriates the responsible hunters as it gives them all a bad name.

I can't stand the taste of game. I actually can't eat meat of any kind straight up without any kind of dressing/sauce.

OH yeah, I know that corn is not the same as what we consume. However, I still find the argument to be valid in terms of the environmental impact and the actual space it takes to grow the corn, since the person I was responding to was making a point about how vegetable farms can impact animals habitats.

Sorry if I came off as aggressive, I was originally responding to one poster who seemed like they were considering vegetarianism, so I just wanted to encourage them :flower3:

I'm not considering it. I just think killing an animal is gross and I wouldn't do it if push came to shove. This is assuming I'm not lost in the wild and it's a deer or me.

In Africa, elephants left unchecked would destroy their habitat, turning it into a desert incapable of supporting elephants for hundreds of years. Were they allowed to roam the whole of Africa, this wouldn't be a problem. But, that's not realistic.

The fact is because man has altered the habitat, it is man's responsibility to maintain the balance.

None of this is "why" I hunt. But, it is "why" I will never apologize for hunting.

Are you in some way attempting to state that the slaughter of roughly 30,000 African elephants each year is for the good of the species?

ETA: Nevermind. We'll leave it there. I can't see this going anywhere productive and it's not worth my time to argue with someone as set in their beliefs in one direction as I am in the opposite direction.

Last edited:
Me and my daughters love hunting, mainly for pheasants lately but my oldest now wants to try out deer hunting. I have hunted many animals and it is a great time, teaching my kids about nature and how not to waste anything and how nature actually works. My own 2 cents is for all those that say hunting is evil and horrific or bad I have no problem with your opinions but, Nature is far more cruel than any responsible hunter ever could be.

Are you in some way attempting to state that the slaughter of roughly 30,000 African elephants each year is for the good of the species?

ETA: Nevermind. We'll leave it there. I can't see this going anywhere productive and it's not worth my time to argue with someone as set in their beliefs in one direction as I am in the opposite direction.

Obviously, the encroaching human population plays a huge factor here. As I stated, were elephants allowed to roam the whole of Africa, the cull wouldn't really be necessary. The elephants would destroy one area and simply move on.

But, that is not the reality of Africa in 2017. The fact is, elephant habitat is shrinking and if elephants are permitted to overpopulate, their habitat will shrink even faster. So yes, for the good of the species, it is absolutely critical to cull the excess.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

70869d2e9419255908f263acdb3950a9722e762669dd89b9a8de34bd435737ca.jpg

I'm not considering it. I just think killing an animal is gross and I wouldn't do it if push came to shove. This is assuming I'm not lost in the wild and it's a deer or me.
Well I guess I was just a bit confused since you are clearly expressing that you think "killing an animal is gross"... and so I do apologize for making an assumption that you were considering it.

I'll just say I know first hand how easy it is to dismiss the things you don't see going on behind the scenes. That's of course just my perspective on the situation and I'm not expecting to convert anybody over an online Disney forum :)

Totally but Milton is a very urban area not in the least rural or boonies. It is actually a bordering community to Boston.

I literally live a 10 min drive to Blue Hills. I grew up here too. I still don't actually know anyone who hunts there. It sounds like they must given what you are saying, but it still seems in my experience that it must be a small amount of the population from this area who do it or maybe people come from western Mass or further away to hunt here. I just don't know anyone who hunts or talks about hunting and I have lived here forever. So, it might be a thing, but it definitely isn't common like how others are describing in other areas.

Well I guess I was just a bit confused since you are clearly expressing that you think "killing an animal is gross"... and so I do apologize for making an assumption that you were considering it.

I'll just say I know first hand how easy it is to dismiss the things you don't see going on behind the scenes. That's of course just my perspective on the situation and I'm not expecting to convert anybody over an online Disney forum :)

No apology needed. :)

I literally live a 10 min drive to Blue Hills. I grew up here too. I still don't actually know anyone who hunts there. It sounds like they must given what you are saying, but it still seems in my experience that it must be a small amount of the population from this area who do it or maybe people come from western Mass or further away to hunt here. I just don't know anyone who hunts or talks about hunting and I have lived here forever. So, it might be a thing, but it definitely isn't common like how others are describing in other areas.

I grew up in West Roxbury, lived 35 years in the downtown area of Boston. There are tons of hunters & gun owners they just tend to be more discreet due to the politics of the area. Don't know how old you are but believe me the applications for the BH hunt are mostly local & so are the protesters lol!!!

I don't. Everyone around here does though. And thank goodness. We would be overtaken by deer if they didn't. Even now, they are every where. Way too many car accidents due to the deer. They travel around a lot. It used to be only when it was cooler temps but not anymore, I wonder if it's due to less food.

We have a small herd that stays close to our house. But it's getting bigger and bigger. My sister is having a heck of a time with her garden this year due to them. She has tried every trick in the book and nothing is keeping them out. If some of them don't move on, dh and bill may have to do some hunting.

Yep, same thing here. I detest them! We live near a large lake (reservoir) with Corps of Engineer easement around it so the deer have a field day. There are lots of hunters here, but can't go on that easement. I've had so many close calls nearly hitting them - one actually 'hit' dh's car in the side as he was driving.

As for the gardening and flowers, don't get me started. Tell your ds to use 'Liquid Fence' from gardening depts. It smells rotten, but does work when sprayed around where the deer are. They don't like it! I spray it directly on roses, hostas, pansies, tulips, etc.

Bring on the hunters!! Something has to thin the population.

Yep, same thing here. I detest them! We live near a large lake (reservoir) with Corps of Engineer easement around it so the deer have a field day. There are lots of hunters here, but can't go on that easement. I've had so many close calls nearly hitting them - one actually 'hit' dh's car in the side as he was driving.

As for the gardening and flowers, don't get me started. Tell your ds to use 'Liquid Fence' from gardening depts. It smells rotten, but does work when sprayed around where the deer are. They don't like it! I spray it directly on roses, hostas, pansies, tulips, etc.

We bought this house three years ago and it came with lots of wildflowers a laurel hedges. DH wants to rip them out but I won't let him b/c they attract deer to the yard and I like having them. :rotfl2:

We bought this house three years ago and it came with lots of wildflowers a laurel hedges. DH wants to rip them out but I won't let him b/c they attract deer to the yard and I like having them. :rotfl2:

Boo Hiss!! :goodvibes

'Nothing' comes between me and my flowers!! :upsidedow

One ran into dd's car like that. Luckily he didn't do much damage. Antlers scratched the window and there was some hair caught in the door. Maybe a scratch or two on the actual car. All she could say was "Seriously, deer" when she heard it hit. Lol. She was lucky though.

Ds hit one and totaled his car. Thank God for seat belts and air bags.

One ran into dd's car like that. Luckily he didn't do much damage. Antlers scratched the window and there was some hair caught in the door. Maybe a scratch or two on the actual car. All she could say was "Seriously, deer" when she heard it hit. Lol. She was lucky though.

Ds hit one and totaled his car. Thank God for seat belts and air bags.

I was coming home from an event one night and taking back roads. One was near our hunting lease and I KNEW it was the field where all the hogs went so I slowed down to crawl before I even got there. Sure enough, pigs all over the road. One wandered my direction and all I can explain it as is that it "stubbed" its head on the moving tire, squealed as if to say "d'oh" and carried on.

I grew up in West Roxbury, lived 35 years in the downtown area of Boston. There are tons of hunters & gun owners they just tend to be more discreet due to the politics of the area. Don't know how old you are but believe me the applications for the BH hunt are mostly local & so are the protesters lol!!!

I'm 39. You are probably right about their discretion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter