Do you ever hold off telling others about your love of Disney

I am a single mom so I often get judged by what I want to spend MY money on. For this upcoming trip with my daughter, I have told nobody in my real life other than my ex-husband. He gets it, I have taken him there before! My parents, sisters, brother, best friend... nobody else is even aware.

It's funny, even though I always have been the breadwinner, all was okay with everyone when I took trips while married. Now if I even do a weekend getaway it's *gasp* "How can you afford that?" The truth is, I SAVE and I BUDGET! I am a penny pincher! Sigh, I just find it easier not to talk about it.

As far as liking Disney in general, I just don't discuss it with anyone. Again, people can be so judgmental. Apparently you cannot be an adult and enjoy Disney.

Clearly, I am bitter but I have every right to be!

I'm a young married 20-something with no kids and at our family Christmas gathering one of my family members told me it was probably best to hide my 'Disney obsession'. But why? I think of people who are super into sports, for example, who may have a shirt/jersey for all of their favorite players and go to several games per season. Or maybe they have season tickets! And I hardly hear anyone say how it's childish to be so 'obsessed' with something that's just a game. (Note: I do not believing that following sports closely or attending however many games makes you happy is a childish/irresponsible thing, I'm just using it as a parallel).

There will always be people who don't understand why you enjoy the things you do. But that doesn't mean you should enjoy them any less :)

This is what I choose to spend my (well-earned) money on! It makes me and my DH happy and that's all that matters.

This is a problem for me. I still make excuses and spin lies about my trips. It's so weird because I'm very open and honest about everything else. Oh well. It will take some time, but I'll get used to telling people the truth.

My disney obsession started about 5 years ago and if it came up in conversation I'd happily talk to others about why I love Disney parks and Disney in general. Some people didn't really get it but could appreciate my love for it anyway.

However some others not only didn't get it, but would actually try and make me feel bad about liking it. "But you don't have children", "It's for children, are you sure you wouldn't rather xyz". Or "what a waste of money ". It's normally friends of friends but even some family members.

Now I'm very selective what I discuss to whom. Does anyone else do this?

No. Not anymore. I waited too long to do it, but this past June of 2016 I took the plunge and moved to Central Florida. I now live 2 miles from the Magic Kingdom. It was the best thing I've ever done for MYSELF. For once! I'm not a Cast Member, but it's lovely to at least be so near to people I know love Disney as much as I do.

My biggest struggle has been finding a partner that is willing to try to enjoy it. I don't go to Disney everyday, but it's so nice to be able to see & do the things I could not before without planning a big trip. This year, I'll finally get to see Epcot during the Flower & Garden Festival, take a Disney Cruise, attend both MNSSHP & MVMCP, and race at least 3 Run DISNEY races. Doing it solo can get lonely, but I don't hold back my love of Disney anymore!

I simply tell people: It is Magic. You just get it, or you don't.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter