Do you ever hold off telling others about your love of Disney

I definitely hold things back, mostly from my colleagues. My close friends and family know and are all okay with it - probably why they are friends, right? I went a few times with my family when I was a kid, which is why it's nostalgic for me, but I remember each trip being really stressful and crazy. My DH never went as a kid, so I had always promised him we'd go together. We went the first time together in 2009, even though we didn't have a lot of money, and we've been back a couple times since - each time we had a blast and now we're addicted and keep returning together.

But I notice since we're in our early 30's with no kids that when I tell some people we're going to WDW on vacation, or even when we went to Tokyo Disneysea for one day of our two week Japan trip, that I get the "but you don't have any kids!" or "why would you want to go to Disney???" comments. DH and I, at least at this point, agree that right now Disney is better WITHOUT kids - we can ride every single thrill ride without midday naps, go to all the nice restaurants, drink alcoholic beverages, etc. We appreciate the theme-ing and the beauty and the magic - Disney is not just a place for kids. DH never even got to experience it as one, so he knows more than anyone.

It feels unfortunate to hold my feelings and plans back, and even against my personality to do so. But then I don't have to deal with those comments right now in my life. I'm hoping eventually though, people will learn better? But maybe they won't learn unless I speak up. A thought to ponder from this thread, for sure...

I never hold back my love for Disney, but I maybe keep it in moderation when meeting new people. I was ridiculed for it a lot in middle/high school, and then a lot of professors in college would go out of their way to diss Disney (not because of me, it was just part of their usual lessons). At work though, it's never been a problem. When I worked in a toy store it really came in handy because I could give advice to customers who were planning trips with kids, and they never seemed to question my going often. Then I left for a job at a startup, and some people found it weird but quickly accepted me as the Disney Guy. Now I have my own business, but working for others and loving Disney was never a problem. As others have said though, while I love Disney I'm also gay and an artist, so if I'm ever judged for something by a stranger it is rarely for being a Disney fan. I will say, however, that when I put those three together people seem to "get it," like being a gay animator who loves Disney makes more sense to them than any of those traits by themselves.

My disney obsession started about 5 years ago and if it came up in conversation I'd happily talk to others about why I love Disney parks and Disney in general. Some people didn't really get it but could appreciate my love for it anyway.

However some others not only didn't get it, but would actually try and make me feel bad about liking it. "But you don't have children", "It's for children, are you sure you wouldn't rather xyz". Or "what a waste of money ". It's normally friends of friends but even some family members.

Now I'm very selective what I discuss to whom. Does anyone else do this?
I absolutely agree. No one I know (including my husband) can understand my obsession with Disney. I like wearing matching t-shirts and ears and roaming the parks. It is nearly impossible to find someone to go with that can keep up with me and that loves it as much as I do.

I was very fortunate to grow up going to Disney and as a child my parents took the brunt of the "going to Disney again?!" comments. Though as I got older I started to understand and honorably defended my "homeland":laughing: Lots of PPs are correct & from my experience, most people who are disgusted by my love of Disney are people who have never been or have been there once and had a terrible experience. My own grandmother is one of these people, she's never been and thinks it sounds awful. But I am fortunate to have had and continue to have great BFs/BFFs who are so intrigued and want to experience what I love so much and ask to be brought by me. This year I bring 4 more newbies and as I collect moneys from them at work, others who decided not to come(cuz they "hate" Disney) are getting more & more jealous as the trip gets closer. I think it just spawns from a feeling of inclusion, like all things humans grow to love & find comfort in, Disney is just what we have chosen:grouphug:

Your friends are 100% correct. Disney is for children. That is why my wife and I, both in our 60's, go to Walt Disney World every year to re-experiance our youth. I am a large booster for WDW. I love to discuss our trips, the planning it takes, especially with those who have never been. Nothing wrecks a vacation more than not making the proper plans. As for those who don't "get it", I trully feel sorry for them. Nothing make me happier than to see the arch proclaiming you are entering the Magic Kingdom. Tears come to our eyes every time we first walk into the MK and see the castle. WDW is for children. You're darn right it is. I just happen to be a 63 year old child when I visit and I am not ashamed to admit it.

I am super selective, especially when it comes to family. I am young-ish (23) and my family is always teasing me about how I need to 'grow-up' in regards to Disney. I work hard for my Disney trips! I like to think about it more positively so I just leave it out.

This made me laugh because I do the same thing...whenever I start a new job I feel like I have to break the news slowly...maybe say I'm going to Florida...but then eventually I just come out with it...plus I tend to have lots of Disney merch with me at all times so they'll find out eventually...haha
HAHA! This is my life! My job allows for me to take quite a bit of time off (we work a lot of overtime which we can turn into days off) so I have been on 3 trips since I started here. Now when I am like "see you in a few days I am am off next week" they just assume I am in Disney!

I love that I've become a Disney freak within the last 1.5 years. We're both platinum plus AP and DVC.

I am rather selective about how much I discuss it. But just like Mackenzie, if I say I'm having a long wknd, coworkers always assume Disney. They joke and poke fun, but ultimately they've all said they're happy I found something I/we enjoy so much. Now I'm the go to guy for anything Disney related lol.

I'm a total foodie and my DH is kind of one lol. Since exploring Disney, I've had some of the best food and most memorable dining experiences in my life!

We're addicted to the runDisney events, so that helps combine two thing I love.

I will say the only thing I've really been questioned about was being a gay couple with no kids going on the Disney Cruises. But with all the adult only options, and upgrading to concierge, it's amazing as just a couple. There's a reason that almost 30% of all Disney cruisers are adult only bookings!

My co-workers are world travelers, and to be honest their trips are impressive. They always talk about their trips to a Thailand elephant reserve, or the Paris Eiffel Tower, or touring the old castles in Europe. And of course its hard for me to then brag about my plaster theme park experiences, with fake domestic versions of each of these things, which feels terribly uncultured by comparison.

It's not that they haven't been to Disneyland or Disney World. But they're older than I am and take their kids out of a sense of duty, bemoaning the horrors they had to endure out of love for their children. (And how the girl insisted on stopping for the fireworks, and there wasn't a single gin and tonic to be had to get them through the agony of the Magic Kingdom... barbaric!). And they're doing it all wrong, but I don't want to correct them and reveal how much I know about ADRs, FP+, rope drop, etc.

Here's an actual conversation:
They say to me, "I want to go back to Croatia. It's so beautiful. Bryan, you really need to take a vacation. Where are you going to go?"
Me: "Well, a friend of mine and I were thinking of going to Orlando for a week."
"No, no don't go there. Go somewhere good!"
"Oh we'll probably go to Epcot. They have this Food and Wine Festival each year."
"Ooo, that part sounds kind of interesting."

I honestly talk to whoever about it. My in-laws think I'm ridiculous, but they are friends with one of my friends on Facebook and love everything she posts so go figure. I'm all about making myself happy, so if other people don't like where I vacation or what I want to talk about, then that's there problem.

I don't really talk to strangers so I guess I am selective. Anyone who knows me knows I love Disney and I do not hold back on talking about it.

I like to be open & talk about my love for Disney but sometimes I will hold back. I've had too many experiences with people going "Really? You don't have kids!/Isn't that boring?/You're missing out!" when I tell them I go to Disney World at least once a year. Now I try to gauge the audience. I recently started hanging out with a new group of friends and I was a little worried the first time they came to my apartment, with all my Disney stuff around -- they kept mentioning how awesome it was & how it was so me; I was worried for nothing!

Never! It's even easy to tell that I'm Disney obsessed because anyone who visits our home has a clear view of my 17" doll collection that is on display as soon as you walk in the front door. :tongue:

My husband rags on me all the time and tells me I have a problem, but that's only because I'm in the process of working him over to love Disney and the parks as much as I do.

Thankfully all of my friends are equally as obsessed and at the parks just as frequently as I am, so I have no qualms about hiding the slight addiction I have.

Yes. All of this. I grew up about an hour from the parks and loved going to Disney as a kid/teenager, those are some of my fondest memories! Now that I'm an adult in my twenties and I have an AP, my coworkers think its very bizarre. If they ask what I did this weekend and I say "O, Disney...." they think I'm crazy. I also agree with other posters on this thread that it is more fun to go as an adult vs with children. The parks are just an enjoyable place to be, IMO.

Wow, I found this thread at the right time...

I never used to hold back on how much we (mostly I) enjoy Disney... but now I might consider doing so.

Earlier this week I got an earful from a coworker when they heard that I was going back yet again (third trip in three years, 6th total in 12 years), and solo this time (wife and daughter are taking trip to grandparents that I an unable to attend due to work).

She just started in on me how "it's for children", "why don't you go to (too many places to name) instead", "aren't you worried that you will make families uncomfortable seeing an adult male walking around by himself, going on rides by himself or eating by himself?". Worst part is that by this time she was quite loud and other coworkers could now hear her.

I've never felt so uncomfortable in my life.

So yeah, I will now have to consider who I mention my love of all things Disney to :(

Wow, I found this thread at the right time...

I never used to hold back on how much we (mostly I) enjoy Disney... but now I might consider doing so.

Earlier this week I got an earful from a coworker when they heard that I was going back yet again (third trip in three years, 6th total in 12 years), and solo this time (wife and daughter are taking trip to grandparents that I an unable to attend due to work).

She just started in on me how "it's for children", "why don't you go to (too many places to name) instead", "aren't you worried that you will make families uncomfortable seeing an adult male walking around by himself, going on rides by himself or eating by himself?". Worst part is that by this time she was quite loud and other coworkers could now hear her.

I've never felt so uncomfortable in my life.

So yeah, I will now have to consider who I mention my love of all things Disney to :(

Sexism, not just for women anymore.

Thankfully I've never had a bad experience with regards to being a solo guy at Disney yet. I am sure it is coming.

I don't hid anything I like. I am the person who has seen every best picture nominee and also is Ryno levels excited for Power Rangers. I love so many different things. My interests and tastes run from high culture to Pokemon. I am getting too old to care about other people and their hangups.

Sexism, not just for women anymore.

Thankfully I've never had a bad experience with regards to being a solo guy at Disney yet. I am sure it is coming.

I don't hid anything I like. I am the person who has seen every best picture nominee and also is Ryno levels excited for Power Rangers. I love so many different things. My interests and tastes run from high culture to Pokemon. I am getting too old to care about other people and their hangups.

Normally I don't let any of this bother me... I've been a self professed nerd long before it became popular. I like what I like and make no apologies for it. I was just shocked at the vitriol that she came at me with.

It's taken a day or so, but I'm over the comments and back to liking what I like no matter what anyone says.

I have to say that reading this thread helped a lot.

I do not hold back. Everyone can see my Disney World Pandora bracelet, full of (only) Disney charms, Alex and Ani bracelets, Mickey diamond earrings, watches...etc:earsboy:
At work, I write with one of my many Disney pens, it all makes me very happy and I know I light up when people ask me about my love/obsession for all things Disney; some understand, most do not, but I have never had a negative reaction.
:hmghost:

Pretty sure my Alice in Wonderland vans give me away anyway....
I don't hold back. I also think ppl know better than to even start saying anything negative to me about Disney. Everyone knows I love it. I am an open book - what you see is what you get. I do have young kids, but ppl know that I go as much for me as for the kids. My 6 and 8 year sons have been so much that they could probably find their way around MK and EP easily without a map. I have 2 Disney obsessed neighbors so that is fun. We joke about just wearing our mouse ears around town. Actually, we are going to St Petersburg and Universal this April vacation, not Disney. People have been like "Whoa, you're not going to Disney at all this year?!"

Now I will admit the whole not going at all this year is literally hard for me and I've been low-key looking at flights for a quick long weekend at WDW in Dec.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter