Do you ever get apprehensive?

Missypyxi

Mouseketeer
Leaving your home for 7 days, disconnected from the world, to cruise on a ship in the open sea...Do you ever get apprehensive? It's a long time to be so far away. Anything could happen.

I'm not trying to be a downer, but the thought is there in my mind as we just hit 99days til our cruise! Our last one was just a 3 day to Nassau, so not so intimidating!

If something is going to happen, it will happen regardless is you know about it the day it happens or a day later.

No! No mobile or Internet for a week is bliss!! We leave the ship number with someone who we know would only contact us in an absolute emergency and make the most of it. Not many things are that important that they can't wait a week until we are back on shore, at least in our life.

IF this were 1700 and I was sailing on a small wooden sailing ship--maybe.

But certainly not today!!

Never! I am a bit of a news junkie, but the disconnection is one of the things I most look forward to on our cruises. It is incredibly freeing and relaxing.

No! No mobile or Internet for a week is bliss!! We leave the ship number with someone who we know would only contact us in an absolute emergency and make the most of it. Not many things are that important that they can't wait a week until we are back on shore, at least in our life.

Agree--

Yes! I NEED that occasional week of being "disconnected" - for the sake of my sanity! When cruising I only use my smartphone or (7") tablet to access DCL's Navigator app (shipboard network only) and listen to music or read a downloaded book during my downtime - on my verandah or lounging on Deck 4. I am MOST grateful to be disconnected from the Internet, email, texting and cell.

I go a step further. I don't even watch TV when sailing, so I don't keep up with "news of the world." There is nothing to do about any of it. Why would I want to spend ANY of my cruise vacation thinking about what's happening on land? And if something were to happen at home, the situation would probably not improve in the slightest if I cut my vacation short and flew home from some island. No. I want to be UNREACHABLE and out of touch for that week!

That said, it is different if you have a situation at home that you are deeply concerned about but you are cruising anyway. In that case, you can leave the ship's number with someone for a dire emergency. If you MUST remain "connected" and not totally on vacation, you can purchase Internet time or cell access.

Yes. I do I know that it might sound odd to many people but I do. I worry before hand do I have it all arranged correctly correctly. Will the flights and transfers be on time did I forget anything. Etc add nauseum. When that happens I call DCL and tell them that I am nervous and could they please go over my reservation with me, and it really does help. The 7 days at sea issue I also understand. My first cruise was a 7 night and I worried about that. Then I remembered that were not "at sea" the whole time. You dock at ports. And you will get emergency contact information for those at home (that is the part that can get to me, what if something happens when they can't reach me). But it helps to remember that they can reach you. And G%d forbid something happens to you on the cruise (it won't) there is medical staff on board and I always buy the insurance.
Hang in there. When you are actually on the ship, I bet your apprehensions melt away.

No. What's going to happen? You mean something happening at home, or on the ship? You can be contacted by folks onshore in emergencies, if you have an emergency onboard you can contact the shore, and it would be pretty rare for something to happen to the ship. If you really can't stand not to be in constant contact, you can pay the cell phone charges (which are pretty huge) or buy the internet time.

Anything can happen even if you are not on a ship.

Love being disconnected from the world for a week. You can still get the national news on the ship board TV system. If you must be connected in some way then pay the charges required if that is your version of a vacation.
As PP stated, just leave the ship's phone number with someone you trust, have your mail held for the week, have someone you trust watch the house, and then you can relax.

Leaving your home for 7 days, disconnected from the world, to cruise on a ship in the open sea...Do you ever get apprehensive? It's a long time to be so far away. Anything could happen.

Amen to that! That's what I LOVE about it! (Except I haven't gotten to do a 7 day DCL yet, but maybe some time. But I have done 7 day cruises for years.)

When you are actually on the ship, I bet your apprehensions melt away.

^ This. I stress about EVERYTHING before our trips - the weather, will my son get lost, will we get left in some foreign country, etc. But once I'm actually ON vacation, none of these fears ever cross my mind again.

I also like being disconnected from the world. But you can get news on the ship. My parents always had the TV on in their room and were constantly calling us over to show us the flooding in Colorado last September (it all happened while we were away and we're from Colorado).

No, I've been far away from home with limited contact possibilities for much longer times.
Things can happen with me being home and being away, but the probability of something really bad happening is low anyway, so no real reason for me to be worried.

Not being able to use a phone without incurring high cost is the one thing that makes my husband go on cruises, I like that.

I'm not trying to be a downer, but the thought is there in my mind as we just hit 99days til our cruise! Our last one was just a 3 day to Nassau, so not so intimidating!

Anything can happen while you're at home too.
I know someone who never vacationed because he feared something would happen to the home while he was gone. What a sad way to live, being held hostage by things you can't let go and have no control over. Unfortunately, this same person has been mugged in the building where he lives and had his apartment broken into. I myself have been in a car accident 2 blocks away from home. Things happen. No one wants them to happen, but they do. Do I worry? Of course, I do. We all do to some extent or another. But I'm not going to let it take over my life. I can't. Being on vacation doesn't mean throw your common sense and safety practices out the door. Do the best you can to protect yourself and try to relax. It's good for you. It's actually good for your health to get away and let go for a while. There are reasons why labor laws requires employers to give their employees vacation time...worldwide.

In this day and age, I worry more about trying to NOT show up on the Internet and being NOT too connected than being disconnected from the world.

If something bad happens, I'd rather be gone when it does...? (As long as it isn't people or pets. Nothing else is that important to me.)

Not at all for me. We did leave the ship emergency number with family just in case there was an emergency at home and someone needed to get a hold of us.

I actually felt more disconnected when we spent 3 1/2 weeks in Japan. There was media there, but I couldn't understand it. And I didn't have much time or opportunity to get on the internet other than to upload pictures.

Not really... we go on trips often enough that it isn't a huge deal in our minds. Our pets are boarded. Our home has a security system and in the end everything in it is just "stuff" once we and our pets are safely outside of it. Even if it burned down.. well, thats what insurance is for - and I'll be very happy I wasn't in danger when it happened. :thumbsup2

Honestly the thing I was most referring to was sinking. :/ I have been having lots of foreboding cruise dreams lately...

I totally stress about work when I am on vacation, so I purchase internet minutes and log on to my work email a few times a day so I can keep on top of my workload. Of course I also stress about work when I take a sick day that I stay home, and end up spending the day on my laptop and blackberry responding to emails.

When I'm on vacation, I try my best to keep a 7/10 rule - I work before 7 in the morning and after 10 at night, and try to not think about it in between.

The only thing i worry about is whether our adult children are taking care of the pets. They aren't very happy about doing it. We have two of our children stay at the house and the third lives blocks away. We leave emergency numbers for repair people and the insurance company. The kids know how to turn off the main water and gas lines if need be. If anybody gets in legal trouble they can sit in jail till after we get home.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter