Do you charge family and friends?

Having been a member for over 20 years, I no longer invite extended family or friends to travel with us. I would book their rooms with DVC points, and then they would complain that their room wasn't in the perfect location, etc. Never did anyone even think about buying us lunch or dinner -in fact, they usually expected us to pick up the tab for all of their meals. Each time I picked up the check I would grow more irritated. This happened with the same people on more than one trip. It got to the point where I started to resent them and dread these trips - these same people all make more money than I.

I didn't buy DVC to take family, I bought DVC because I Like Disney, and I want to go to Disney. I've used thousands of points taking family and friends in the past years - and I'm done. I honestly think they assume that the DVC rooms do not cost me anything.

My advice is to charge/ not charge what you are emotionally ready to deal with ( that's not the best terminology, but it's late) - if you can afford to use the points without any return ( money, dinner, etc.) and will feel happy about it - then do it. If, however, if you expect them to show any gratitude ( buy you lunch, etc.); then it's probably best to be upfront about your costs.
We’ve always been upfront with guests, telling them at the very first invitation what the conditions were. For our adult kids, we provide the room and one TS meal a day, while they’re responsible for transportation and tickets. For other adults we provide the room and share costs of meals, again we tell them that when we invite them, so they can take it into account when deciding whether to accept or not.

We went for years with in-laws (will always love OKW) and they blew so many points on us, forever grateful. We’ll be paying it back if they ever want to go back (they sold their points), but also doing the same if we’re lucky enough to have grandkids. Tickets were always our job (they had APs) and we’d buy our meals, some of theirs when they’d let us, and a thank you gift.

We have not charged and charged people with us on different occasions. I see no issue with people being charged. We used to say to our guests We charged. “Deluxe resorts at All Star prices”.

For us it really depends on the family member. We don’t charge anyone, but some insist on paying. In those cases, we usually let them buy a dinner or two, or give us $100 or something small (comparably). As others have said, we wanted DVC to spend time together with family, not start a side business.

If I OFFER to take someone to Disney, then I just assume that I am covering the DVC Rooms and the cost of them. I only make those offers to family members who probably couldn't afford to go anyway, such as some of my children WITH my grandchildren.

If I am planning to go and stay somewhere and I have extra room, I will often tell family members about it and let them decide if they are interested in going. In such a case I don't 'charge' them, since I was going anyway, but if they OFFER to help pay the cost of the room, then that is nice. I let them do it. But even if they offer, if they don't come up with any money (this happens frequently) then I never mention it.

IF a family member or friend comes to me and asks if I have DVC points and could make them a reservation, then I generally tell them that I charge Family and Friends about half price. This is typically about $10 per point. I have, unfortunately, had a number of family members (and a few friends) who offered to pay for this, but then either didn't pay, or only paid SOME of the cost. That is fairly common. I have found that if I haven't received the money BEFORE their trip, then I never receive it. In such cases, I often consider it 'a gift' and I don't hound them for it, afterwards. I fact, I generally don't mention it at all, but I REMEMBER those times and if those people want to have me make reservations for them again in the future, then I MAKE SURE that they understand the cost, that I have FEES that I need to pay, that it isn't just FREE, and they need to make sure to pay me for whatever they are using.

Again, it is NEVER my plan to make money from family and friends, and, clearly, I most often LOSE money, but I think asking them to pay a reasonable amount, to cover Membership Fees and other expenses is a very reasonable thing to do. UNLESS it was my plan from the beginning to make it a gift.

If I OFFER to take someone to Disney, then I just assume that I am covering the DVC Rooms and the cost of them. I only make those offers to family members who probably couldn't afford to go anyway, such as some of my children WITH my grandchildren.

If I am planning to go and stay somewhere and I have extra room, I will often tell family members about it and let them decide if they are interested in going. In such a case I don't 'charge' them, since I was going anyway, but if they OFFER to help pay the cost of the room, then that is nice. I let them do it. But even if they offer, if they don't come up with any money (this happens frequently) then I never mention it.

IF a family member or friend comes to me and asks if I have DVC points and could make them a reservation, then I generally tell them that I charge Family and Friends about half price. This is typically about $10 per point. I have, unfortunately, had a number of family members (and a few friends) who offered to pay for this, but then either didn't pay, or only paid SOME of the cost. That is fairly common. I have found that if I haven't received the money BEFORE their trip, then I never receive it. In such cases, I often consider it 'a gift' and I don't hound them for it, afterwards. I fact, I generally don't mention it at all, but I REMEMBER those times and if those people want to have me make reservations for them again in the future, then I MAKE SURE that they understand the cost, that I have FEES that I need to pay, that it isn't just FREE, and they need to make sure to pay me for whatever they are using.

Again, it is NEVER my plan to make money from family and friends, and, clearly, I most often LOSE money, but I think asking them to pay a reasonable amount, to cover Membership Fees and other expenses is a very reasonable thing to do. UNLESS it was my plan from the beginning to make it a gift.
This 100%.

I’m planning on taking my parents and sister and her husband next year and am planning on writing out something about the stay and wrapping it up as their Christmas gift. I’m nervous they might be disappointed they aren’t getting anything tangible for Xmas though….

I’m planning on taking my parents and sister and her husband next year and am planning on writing out something about the stay and wrapping it up as their Christmas gift. I’m nervous they might be disappointed they aren’t getting anything tangible for Xmas though….
I honestly don’t mean to sound snarky, but if grown adults, (with children of their own) are upset that they didn’t get that new fire truck or doll that they asked Santa for (particularly in light of receiving a vacation worth hundreds if not thousands of dollars), then it both flies in the face of the true meaning of Christmas, AND suggests you’ve got some bigger familial relationship issues to deal with.

I honestly don’t mean to sound snarky, but if grown adults, (with children of their own) are upset that they didn’t get that new fire truck or doll that they asked Santa for (particularly in light of receiving a vacation worth hundreds if not thousands of dollars), then it both flies in the face of the true meaning of Christmas, AND suggests you’ve got some bigger familial relationship issues to deal with.
I agree but I don’t think they realize what a cost it is to us having to pay dues on the points for their room. I think they just think that it’s a type of thing where we paid for our contract and that’s it and now we have a free hotel for 50 years. I don’t really know how to bring that up (thinking that’d be tacky but also don’t want them to think I’m being a cheapskate on Christmas ). My parents understand but not sure about my sister and her husband.

I agree but I don’t think they realize what a cost it is to us having to pay dues on the points for their room. I think they just think that it’s a type of thing where we paid for our contract and that’s it and now we have a free hotel for 50 years. I don’t really know how to bring that up (thinking that’d be tacky but also don’t want them to think I’m being a cheapskate on Christmas ). My parents understand but not sure about my sister and her husband.
Just bring it up in conversation, like, "My DVC saves so much money compared to the same room for cash, even considering the annual maintence fees. For instance, our room costs XXX points, dues are $X per point, initial buy in was $XXX per point when amoritized over X years so this room cost us $xXXX compared to $XXXX cash price."

The people I take routinely know how it works. And to show their appreciation, they always pay their own park tickets, and buy me a couple of nice meals, as well as my flight (when we fly) or pay the motels on the road, and buy the gas when we drive. One of them takes me out to lunch once a week all year long. When I travel with someone that is retired military, if I don't have an AP, they buy my park ticket (military gets a good discount).

Last edited:
Just bring it up in conversation, like, "My DVC saves so mush money compared to the same room for cash, even considering the annual maintence fees. For instance, our room costs XXX points, dues are $X per point, initial buy in was $XXX per point when amoritized over X years so this room cost us $xXXX compared to $XXXX cash price."

The people I take routinely know how it works. And to show their appreciation, they always pay their own park tickets, and buy me a couple of nice meals, as well as my flight (when we fly) or pay the motels on the road, and buy the gas when we drive. One of the takes me out to lunch once a week all year long. When I travel with someone that is retired military, if I don't have an AP, they buy my park ticket (military gets a good discount).
Bringing it up in that matter sounds perfect! Thank you for the suggestion!!

Just bring it up in conversation, like, "My DVC saves so mush money compared to the same room for cash, even considering the annual maintence fees. For instance, our room costs XXX points, dues are $X per point, initial buy in was $XXX per point when amoritized over X years so this room cost us $xXXX compared to $XXXX cash price."

The people I take routinely know how it works. And to show their appreciation, they always pay their own park tickets, and buy me a couple of nice meals, as well as my flight (when we fly) or pay the motels on the road, and buy the gas when we drive. One of the takes me out to lunch once a week all year long. When I travel with someone that is retired military, if I don't have an AP, they buy my park ticket (military gets a good discount).
Excellent poiints

I agree but I don’t think they realize what a cost it is to us having to pay dues on the points for their room. I think they just think that it’s a type of thing where we paid for our contract and that’s it and now we have a free hotel for 50 years.
I guess I still don't get it. I find greater value in gifts created from nothing: artwork from driftwood or hand-thrown pottery or maybe cheese or preserves made from ingredients from a garden or farm. The value is in the intent of the giver and the happiness and use the receiver gets from the gift. I mean, even if you re-gift a pair of slippers from last Christmas, whoever you're giving them to still has a new pair of slippers...LOL.

I guess I still don't get it. I find greater value in gifts created from nothing: artwork from driftwood or hand-thrown pottery or maybe cheese or preserves made from ingredients from a garden or farm. The value is in the intent of the giver and the happiness and use the receiver gets from the gift. I mean, even if you re-gift a pair of slippers from last Christmas, whoever you're giving them to still has a new pair of slippers...LOL.

I dunno. I've been given homemade preserves before, and while I enjoyed them and was touched by the gesture, I don't sit around spending time posting on online forums about how much I liked homemade preserves. I'd take the free trip to Disney World.

Lol well all I can say is you are much different than my brother in law. Fancy things and status symbols like Rolex watches and vacations on yachts are all he cares much about. Not really a warm and fuzzy guy. I’m with you though, heartfelt gifts mean everything to me.

Lol well all I can say is you are much different than my brother in law. Fancy things and status symbols like Rolex watches and vacations on yachts are all he cares much about. Not really a warm and fuzzy guy. I’m with you though, heartfelt gifts mean everything to me.
Well, you have to own the farm to make the cheese, you just don't have to give everyone a cow.

We recently did a big trip that had seven of us in all, our four and our friends and their daughter. I think it worked out to $9-something/point and they paid for half the point cost for the room. I think I did it based on dues/pt and cost per point divided by number of years? I don't recall for sure but it made sense to both of our groups.

We did a 2 bedroom which we wouldn't have needed if it was just us, and it still ended up being less than if they stayed at Caribbean Beach.

I don't expect we will charge them the same way in most future trips. This one they insisted on paying since originally we were going to end up in probably two separate rooms somewhere like Caribbean before we joined DVC since we have been planning this trip since basically before COVID, but the 2 bed at Riviera was better for all of us and this was an all-out trip since it was our first Disney trip with the kids.

In the future if they decide to go again when we go and they want to just stay at AoA or something but I offer to have them stay with us again in a 2-bed, I probably wouldn't charge them since I would be inviting them to stay with us instead of us having to find a way to group up every day. Like others mentioned I think the context of the situation matters. We also talked about using points to book them a couple nights at Animal Kingdom in a Savanna View because we know they would love seeing the animals and that was really cool when my wife and I did it. So something like that we would definitely "gift".

I think my view on charging would be even more "generous" if we had multiple contracts or tons of points. But 200 points with a family of 4 means just for us we have to be careful or we burn through two years on one reservation. If we had 500 points and were going to be renting out half of them each year anyway, I would be far more willing to just "gift" reservations to friends/family.

We have yet to take our first DVC trip, which we just booked today for August 2023. We had talked about inviting my in-laws and we were just going to provide them with a room for their stay. They declined due to health reasons. We decided to do DVC because our boys are still young and we want to create more memories with them. We also discussed inviting family friends on future trips with the idea of treating their stay. Disney is already expensive enough and every family we have discussed inviting in the future has never been before, so I'm sure the sticker shock of the plane tickets, park tickets, and meals would be a bit much without adding on the cost of the stay. I guess if I was going to charge someone for a stay, I would prefer to just rent them to someone I don't know.

When we only had 225 points, I really wasn’t going to bring other people. That was for my wife and I to enjoy a week at WDW every year. Now that I have 550 points, we may or may not use them all, but I don’t mind bumping up accommodations and bringing others along. I have not charged them.

facebook twitter