DLR Kids

Unions at Disney are a little odd, just speaking in general.

Case in point, the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, which normally represents things like Truck Drivers, also represent WDW Character Performers.

I actually understand that more, Teamsters are a common union to see on film sets/touring concerts. SEI, not even remotely an entertainment union, unless you count that SOME of it's workers work at amphitheaters/arenas.

Interesting article regarding a union and a walk out yesterday.

http://ocresort.freedomblogging.com/2009/12/07/disney-hotel-workers-stage-first-walkout/27393/

This is completely unrelated but I just wanna thank you, Glendalais for always answering every question. You're extremely helpful and the details are awesome. It's very difficult to find information on the innerworkings of the program and it's kinda scary to move 3000 miles into the unknown. I know the DLR CP isn't as well regarded as the WDW one but hopefully it's on its way to finding some kind of a balance there...

I really deeply do not want to get into a political discussion, but Unite Here 11 has been steadfastly making the most uncalled for demonstrations and whining and complaining fests in Disney history.... back in the day, when DL CMs went on strike, they had the "Friendliest Picket Line on Earth", and now you have Unite Here 11 who have been disrupting the guests magical days by purposefully blocking traffic on harbor blv, making massive demonstrations in front of the D23 expo, vandalizing the sign in front of Disney's Paradise Pier hotel*, among other things.

Basically, I'm just posting this to give a heads up to any CPers who might be employed under this union. I don't mean to say anything politically on the subject one way or another, but I just had to say there have been times Disney magic has been at jeopardy.

*=I cannot confirm or deny 100% this was courtesy of the union demonstration in front of the Paradise Pier Hotel, but the vandalism did happen the same day

I really deeply do not want to get into a political discussion, but Unite Here 11 has been steadfastly making the most uncalled for demonstrations and whining and complaining fests in Disney history.... back in the day, when DL CMs went on strike, they had the "Friendliest Picket Line on Earth", and now you have Unite Here 11 who have been disrupting the guests magical days by purposefully blocking traffic on harbor blv, making massive demonstrations in front of the D23 expo, vandalizing the sign in front of Disney's Paradise Pier hotel*, among other things.

Basically, I'm just posting this to give a heads up to any CPers who might be employed under this union. I don't mean to say anything politically on the subject one way or another, but I just had to say there have been times Disney magic has been at jeopardy.

*=I cannot confirm or deny 100% this was courtesy of the union demonstration in front of the Paradise Pier Hotel, but the vandalism did happen the same day

Last edited:
It does seem a little strange that they staged a walk out over new sheets and pillows in the first place... But who am I to judge?

This has been going on for quite a while now. It's really hard to explain the whole issue in anything smaller than a short novel, but suffice it to say that new sheets and pillows are just one of many things, not all of which are work- and wage-condition related, going on with them. There's a lot of internal politics involved that aren't really readily visible.

Most Cast Members can see where they're coming from - we all want to have good, safe jobs that we can support ourselves and our families with and which won't kill or injure us in the process. At the same time, I would say that most CMs don't really agree with the way Local 11 is going on about it.

All in all, Labor Relations at Disney tend to be pretty good. I wouldn't be all that concerned with this affecting your programmes - it should all work itself out eventually - not necessarily anytime soon, but eventually.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter