DLR Guests: Get Up & Go Power Walk

Thanks. Does the power walk still begin early enough to walk through DCA, and still take advantage of EE over at DL?

Yes. That's my plan too. You can walk from 7 to 7:30, shower and get dressed and eat breakfast before the 9am EMH at DL. I want to be at White Water Snacks at 8am. Then again, I can get ready pretty quickly.

I got up and did this power walk this morning. And I'm glad I did. The gentleman cast member who takes you on your DCA journey is Dave from Anaheim, and he is very nice and talkative. One note ... they say to get to the Grand DCA entrance at 6:55am to sign a waiver before your 7am start. Do not be late! We left about 30 seconds after 7:00am. The CM who stayed back at the gate told us 4 folks showed up just a minute or two late, and unfortunately missed it.

Anyway, it was Dave, me, and one other guest, and we set off on a counter-clockwise trip around DCA, going around Paradise Pier, through Pacific Wharf, into Cars Land. Then past Luigi's into Bugs Land and past Tower of Terror and the Monster's Inc ride. Then off to Soarin' are past our starting point. Then we went through the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail (including over the rickety wooden bridge), and back past the Painted Ladies towards Ariel's ride, and then left to the Carthay Circle restaurant and Soarin' again. Here we ended back at the hotel. Dave told us we went 1.8 miles, and that once Grizzly River Run opens, the walk will make one loop around the Grizzly Trail to make it 2 miles.

We were back at 7:27am or so, and the extra loop would have taken an extra few minutes had it been open.

I highly recommend getting up for this. They tell you no cameras, but Dave let the other person in our party take a Cars Land picture, since the picture wasn't of anything "backstage". So you likely can bring your camera.

We did see a dozen or more cars and trucks on the roads, especially in Cars Land. And several of the doors to behind the magic were open, allowing a glimpse or two behind the facades that aren't normally there.

You do not need a park ticket, so you can do this on your departure day if you don't have any days left. Call ahead and reserve your spot, although I think you'd be fine if you just showed up at 6:55am.

Thanks for reading. I hope this helps.

That sounds like a very cool walk. Hopefully it will be available when I visit in a few weeks. I love seeing places like this when they are empty. Pace sounds quick. I can usually do 2 miles on the track at my gym in about 35 minutes.

Thanks for reporting back! Hope it continues through DCA in early December!

That sounds like a very cool walk. Hopefully it will be available when I visit in a few weeks. I love seeing places like this when they are empty. Pace sounds quick. I can usually do 2 miles on the track at my gym in about 35 minutes.

Thanks for reporting back! Hope it continues through DCA in early December!

No problem! Dave said he thinks the DCA walk on Tuesdays and Thursdays is here to stay, especially when the park opens to guests at 9am or later. So check your park times for Tuesdays and Thursdays before you arrive.

Good idea to do on departure day, especially before a long flight or car trip. Was it a real "power walk" pace, or more like a brisk walk? Did Dave give you information about the park while you walked? Sounds really fun, glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for the tips!

Good idea to do on departure day, especially before a long flight or car trip. Was it a real "power walk" pace, or more like a brisk walk? Did Dave give you information about the park while you walked? Sounds really fun, glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for the tips!

I did it in jeans since I did not bring exercise pants, and I was fine. I would say it's a brisk walk. Faster than a child could walk, so that might be one reason why it's 14 and up. Dave said it was 14 and up so it would be in line with the same age restriction for some of the work out facilities.

Dave was very knowledgeable about Disney. We talked about many things, from the number of CMs at DLR to Disney Cruise Line ships. I think he'd have an answer to pretty much anything I wanted to know. He told us that while other CMs may be the Power Walk leaders through the resort on those days, that he will always be the person going through DCA, barring illness/vacation of course.

He mentioned that there might be the occasional weekend day this year, where the walk goes into DCA. One of those things to look up when you get your hotel schedule at check-in.

ValpoCory, thanks for the report. I look forward to trying this when we are at the GCH Feb 24-Mar 1. Are you going to do a post-trip report?

I have stalked you on the forum for years, due to your knowledge of the HEB gift card deals, and you've saved my family tons of $$$. Thanks.

ValpoCory, thanks for the report. I look forward to trying this when we are at the GCH Feb 24-Mar 1. Are you going to do a post-trip report?

I have stalked you on the forum for years, due to your knowledge of the HEB gift card deals, and you've saved my family tons of $$$. Thanks.

Thanks fbb! I love H-E-B. Another great story about them that just happened today ... our family had bought one of these nice Disney ear balloons:
images

We took it to Guest Services on our check-out day, and asked about deflating them. The CM wasn't sure how to do it, but offered me a pair of scissors. I managed to cut off the clip and safely deflate the balloon.

Once home, I knew the inflation would be tough, so I took it to Party City, where they refused to even try. I then went to H-E-B, and the employees there considered it a challenge, and I got to help blow up the ears first, then the body, and then finally blow up the outer balloon. We had fun doing it, and my DD7 walked out with a huge smile on her face, holding the balloon.

I'm so glad to hear they are working to incorporate the DCA Power Walk into the schedule. It is one of my favorite perks of staying at the GCH!

Call ahead and reserve your spot, although I think you'd be fine if you just showed up at 6:55am.

As long as other people have signed up, I think you'd be fine, too. I actually tried just showing up a couple of years ago, along with another guest, and because no one had signed up, they had cancelled it. :sad: So sad!

Now I make sure to sign up no matter what! I figure I can always call to cancel if I can't make it, but don't want to risk missing out!

This sounds like a cool experience! This is available for any Disneyland hotel guest, right?

We're staying Wednesday-Tuesday on an upcoming trip, first at VGC, then Disneyland Hotel. I'm hesitant to do this on Thursday, because it would be my very first time stepping foot into any Disneyland park. Tuesday we fly home, which would work okay, but we'll be at the DLH.

This sounds like a cool experience! This is available for any Disneyland hotel guest, right?

We're staying Wednesday-Tuesday on an upcoming trip, first at VGC, then Disneyland Hotel. I'm hesitant to do this on Thursday, because it would be my very first time stepping foot into any Disneyland park. Tuesday we fly home, which would work okay, but we'll be at the DLH.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. Yes, the power walks are open to any DLR guest, not just the GCH guests.

I did the PowerWalk twice this week. You need to be a guest at one of the resort hotels . You have to make a reservation (it was full the first two days I tried). You have to check in at 5:45 am. You must wear athletic shoes—no flip flops. Watched a woman get turned away when she showed up in flip flops. No taking pictures. We ran into a few groups working, and the guide made a wide detour around them, and reminded us we were not to take any pictures. It’s a fast walk, but a unique experience, especially fir a non-park day. Totally enjoyed it.

I did the PowerWalk twice this week. You need to be a guest at one of the resort hotels . You have to make a reservation (it was full the first two days I tried). You have to check in at 5:45 am. You must wear athletic shoes—no flip flops. Watched a woman get turned away when she showed up in flip flops. No taking pictures. We ran into a few groups working, and the guide made a wide detour around them, and reminded us we were not to take any pictures. It’s a fast walk, but a unique experience, especially fir a non-park day. Totally enjoyed it.
How do you make a reservation? We are staying at PPH in a few weeks!

Dialed “0” from the room, but I would try to call and book in advance based on reservation. I think you could also show up day of, they only turned away walker who came in flip-flops. Neither of my days were super crowded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!