Disneyworld needs updated to better attract tweens and teens

smj2610

Ready for my theme park fix
I was wondering how many people feel as I do that disney is missing out on a substantial opportunity by not adding more to attract the tweens and teens(okay alot of thrill seeking adults too) I have 3 daughters one of them grown but also a 10 and 15 year old who are really losing their desire to go to disneyworld as they say that there is not enough stuff that they like to do. They only really like splash mountain and big thunder mountain railroad at Magic Kingdom, TOT and Rockin Rollercoaster at the Studios. They are finally telling me they don't really care to go to disney anymore which is heartbreaking for me as I love the place. Then again I can understand them as they love Islands of Adventure and Busch Gardens for you guessed it Thrill rides. Of course they have also outgrown the princess stage to my horror. I think it is time that disney created more thrill rides based on the villians, which I will admit are my favorite characters. How does anyone else feel? My daughters know about change.org and actually asked for me to get a petition going so disney will know how they feel but I do not want to just jump on that bandwagon

Disney, as it exists now, is fine as it is, IMHO. There are plenty of places to go for thrill rides, like IoA but Disney is going for a different type of atmosphere - for famblies....

If they are into thrill rides, there are lots of places for them to pursue that interest. The intention of Disney World was to have attractions that everyone could do together. It's the atmosphere as much as the actual "ride." They will probably get over it and come back to the fold when they stop being teenagers. (Although I have to admit I still loved WDW as a teen.)

Why? Tweens don't have much money. Tweens would prefer to go somewhere that only focuses on rides.

Disney wants families to come, stay on resorts, eat at restaurants and buy big vacation packages.

There is a certain segment of teenagers that are going to rebel against anything that even seems slanted towards kids. Disney has little shot with them anyway.

Disney is doing fine as they are.

Disney's niche is not thrill rides for teenagers. It's for families. Plus, teens don't have the disposable income, the parents do. If Disney thought that teens were a powerful enough demographic to determine most families' vacation destinations, then they would have opened their own version of UA.

I think Disney is quite aware that no single theme park can be all things to all people, and that it would be pointless to even try. Turning WDW parks into one thrill ride after another would kill the whole point of the parks.

I think instead of adding the Seven Dwarves Mine Train which is another low thrill coaster which WDW already has a lot of, they should have built a major thrill coaster at Epcot to appeal to thrill seekers. I'll admit that I like rides like Dragons, Hulk, Kumba, Montu and Sheikra more than any other coaster that Disney and would be happy with 1 of those types of coasters in WDW. One drawback is the height requirement though since it would likely be 54" and that those types of coasters are also more restrictive than anything at Disney even factoring in that all those coasters I mentioned have modified seating for people who aren't able to fit in the standard seats.

My 15 year old got to go to Universal a few weeks ago. According to her she still prefers Disney World. She said once you look past the few big rides at Universal what you essentially have is a poorly imagineered park with unhappy employees.

Disney isn't for everyone. I've been going yearly since 14, and I'll be going again in a month for my 21st. I LOVE Disney because its more about the experience than going on rides over and over again. In fact, I just got back from a month long stay two weeks ago and and there are things I missed that I wanted to do. Disney isn't all about running from ride to ride and trying to make ADRs. My favorite memories were when I just sat back and enjoyed the little things Disney had to offer.

If you still want to go, and they dont...take a solo trip! :thumbsup2

There's some aspects of this in Carsland which may be coming to DHS (the racers) and Avatarland which may be coming to AK. But they probably still aren't going to target directly to teens or put in any major thrill rides that won't accommodate kids younger than teens. Disney's target audience is families, the biggest subset being families with younger children.

Don't get the horror with outgrowing princesses. I spend lots of time at WDW and I avoid princesses.

I agree with several opinions in here. Yes, don't do anything major to DL but this does bring up a good point as I see this ALL THE TIME with my close friends and their kids. There are just some people that aren't into Disney parks except for the most aggressive ride technologies and themes. These families don't go to DL like the far majority of the rest of us and I think a villain's park or at least a substantial themed area in the next Disney park could bring in a lot of people who attend theme parks but not Disney parks. This would in return bring more $ into the Disney machine, more $ means more expansions, more rides, more Disney! Yeah!

I was wondering how many people feel as I do that disney is missing out on a substantial opportunity by not adding more to attract the tweens and teens(okay alot of thrill seeking adults too) I have 3 daughters one of them grown but also a 10 and 15 year old who are really losing their desire to go to disneyworld as they say that there is not enough stuff that they like to do. They only really like splash mountain and big thunder mountain railroad at Magic Kingdom, TOT and Rockin Rollercoaster at the Studios. They are finally telling me they don't really care to go to disney anymore which is heartbreaking for me as I love the place. Then again I can understand them as they love Islands of Adventure and Busch Gardens for you guessed it Thrill rides. Of course they have also outgrown the princess stage to my horror. I think it is time that disney created more thrill rides based on the villians, which I will admit are my favorite characters. How does anyone else feel? My daughters know about change.org and actually asked for me to get a petition going so disney will know how they feel but I do not want to just jump on that bandwagon

What exactly would you be petitioning? For them to cater more towards teens? For them to add more thrill rides? For teenagers to be in charge of what Disney decides they bring to the park?

I grew up going to Disney. I've gone every year since I was three and I never for one moment during my teenage years didn't want to go anymore because it wasn't "thrilling" enough for me.

You're the adult. If you love going to WDW and they complain about it then leave them home. If you would enjoy Islands of Adventure and Busch Gardens then go there. But Disney DOES NOT need to change. Because if they did then they wouldn't be Disney anymore and they would lose everything they stand for.

ETA: I understand that there are certain parts of certain parts that need an overhaul. That's not what I mean by not needing to change. Because I'm all for getting rid of LMA and the Backlot Tour for Pixar Place!

To me it's not about going and getting on thrill rides. It's about looking at the faces of kids as they see the castle for the first time. Or the couple who just got married and is there on their honeymoon. Or the people who are there celebrating their parents wedding anniversary or birthday. It's about people like my boyfriend who have never been before and when they get there they finally understand why it is so wonderful. It's about families and not worrying about everyday life and all the stress it brings. I would trade everything that is considered a thrill ride at WDW for everyone to understand this fact.

So either tell they they can go or stay home or change where you go on vacation. Just don't change Disney. Because that would mean that people like me would feel the magic leave.

I understand what you mean by diversifying for teens and people who like thrill rides. I would love more thrill rides at Disney.

Disney for my family is more appealing to us for the nostalgia than the state of the art technology. We love thrill rides and appreciate IoA/US for the thrill rides, Six Flags and/or BG, but we do not have any nostalgia or magical feelings about these parks. Somehow Disney, for us, just has that magic that pulls my heartstrings and makes us go back with our teens.

Disney has always been a park designed for the entire family. There's a little bit for everyone. In my opinion, it's good the way it is, and I believe the numbers at the turn stiles are pretty much proof. On the other hand, I do believe that they missed the boat completely with Animal Kingdom. In my opinion, an animal based park was a huge mistake. They're just too expensive to maintain. Vet. bills are a killer and people can see animals at any zoo. It should have been Disney's thrill attraction park. They had a chance to blow Universal out of the water, but blew it.

Disney has always been a park designed for the entire family. There's a little bit for everyone. In my opinion, it's good the way it is, and I believe the numbers at the turn stiles are pretty much proof. On the other hand, I do believe that they missed the boat completely with Animal Kingdom. In my opinion, an animal based park was a huge mistake. They're just too expensive to maintain. Vet. bills are a killer and people can see animals at any zoo. It should have been Disney's thrill attraction park. They had a chance to blow Universal out of the water, but blew it.

Our family loves DAK.

My soon to be 14 year old daughter still loves Disney World. As a matter of fact we went to Universal with her class last year and she looked at me and said this is okay, but its not Disney. The thing we like about Disney is at has so much for us to do together as a family. I would love to see Disney add more new things but I dont think it necessarily needs to be thrill rides to attract tweens and teens. Of couse that is easy for me to say no one in our family is crazy about big thrill rides we like our thrills a little milder. Big Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain are thrilling to us. :cheer2:

I don't agree. Disney World's demographic is not thrill rides. It is not teens touring alone in screaming bundles waiting to drop from some obscene height. Its demographic is families. Rides are theatrical experiences, not just a pit in your stomach while you briefly wonder if you might die. That's Universal Studio's demographic.

I think there's an element of maturity needed to appreciate Disney World. Wonderful for small children. Teens who object to the lack of thrill rides will probably grow to understand that there is more to Disney's method than thrill.

In the meantime, the disappointed teens can go to Universal Studios and we will welcome them back to WDW when they come to their senses :wizard:

One size does not fit all,but Disney does a fine job of catering to their market.

What suits one tween/teen will not suit another,happily they're all different.
If you choose your vacations around your children's wishes,then wdw May not be the right choice.
If that's where you want to go,then go-have fun!:goodvibes

In our family- we have older teens 16&19-who still love wdw-in fact,we are all very happy to vacation at wdw,it's a family vacation-precious together time- and its wonderful.:cool1:

My oldest two are 14yo & 16yo and WDW is still their #1 vacation choice!! They love the thrill rides, but they also LOVE it for everything else that it is. They are both currently planning their senior trips with their friends and guess where they want to go? Yep, WDW!:lovestruc

THANK GOODNESS they didn't attempt to "blow Universal out of the water"!! AK is an AMAZING park, they've done a phenomenal job with it.
Who needs another Universal, Six Flags, etc. ;)

My kids still love Disney(DD22 & DS 17).Our trips are not the same as when they were little. Maybe you should try looking into things you haven't done before.
Parasailing
Jet skis
Backstage tours
Seasonal Events (We are going to Star Wars Weekend this year)
There are many things that lots of people over look. Think about what interests they have and see what you can find. No matter what a vacation should be about enjoying time together as a family, Thrill rides are a plus. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter