Disney's ride down time higher then it's ever been

After losing our ILL on Rise due to downtime, and hopping back to DHS solely to try again, only for it to be down again when we entered the park... the downtime can be an incredibly frustrating experience. It's got to have a souring effect on repeat trips, CM morale, and the number of people they have to staff at Guest Relations.

But, that being said, we waited (in the rain!) a half hour and it did come back up, so we did get to ride it. Now we can see why there's so much downtime on this ride. Everyone here is used to Disney rides having preshows, but this was next-level. There's a whole pre-ride, effectively; it genuinely surprised me when the shuttle experience didn't just open to a new door on the other side like the stretching room. Then the role-playing, the cell block, the breakout. There are so many layers to this "ride" that I totally get it now. The ride vehicles having to go in elevators, lock in for a motion-simulating portion, etc. ... I'm not sure how they could pull it off a whole day with 0 downtime.

Before riding I was doubting it being worth the frustration to even do it, but now I've been won over. It's part-ride, part immersive experience. I'm sure they could have built it in a way that would result in less downtime & resets, but I don't know if I'd want the experience to be less good because of it. Best "ride" yet, just with the worst reliability?

This is one factor that has me thinking that we will need at least 6-7 park days when we make it back to the parks.

After losing our ILL on Rise due to downtime, and hopping back to DHS solely to try again, only for it to be down again when we entered the park... the downtime can be an incredibly frustrating experience. It's got to have a souring effect on repeat trips, CM morale, and the number of people they have to staff at Guest Relations.

But, that being said, we waited (in the rain!) a half hour and it did come back up, so we did get to ride it. Now we can see why there's so much downtime on this ride. Everyone here is used to Disney rides having preshows, but this was next-level. There's a whole pre-ride, effectively; it genuinely surprised me when the shuttle experience didn't just open to a new door on the other side like the stretching room. Then the role-playing, the cell block, the breakout. There are so many layers to this "ride" that I totally get it now. The ride vehicles having to go in elevators, lock in for a motion-simulating portion, etc. ... I'm not sure how they could pull it off a whole day with 0 downtime.

Before riding I was doubting it being worth the frustration to even do it, but now I've been won over. It's part-ride, part immersive experience. I'm sure they could have built it in a way that would result in less downtime & resets, but I don't know if I'd want the experience to be less good because of it. Best "ride" yet, just with the worst reliability?

Do you buy a new model car with modern tech and expect it to fail frequently because it's new?

Do you buy a new model car with modern tech and expect it to fail frequently because it's new?

This is nothing to do with it being new, but rather the sheer number of potential failure points. It's like performing one song / act live on-stage versus performing an entire concert or play. Odds are pretty good you'll make it through one song without a mistake. Getting through an entire play without a hitch is harder. There's a lot going on in this "ride."

I don't know what the actual common failure points are. If part of it was, say, getting the trackless ride vehicles properly secured for the motion-simulating segment, you could change that part of the ride, simplify it, and just have the vehicle gently go down the elevator. But it wouldn't make it a better ride (well... I suppose it would for people who get motion sick :)).

This is nothing to do with it being new, but rather the sheer number of potential failure points. It's like performing one song / act live on-stage versus performing an entire concert or play. Odds are pretty good you'll make it through one song without a mistake. Getting through an entire play without a hitch is harder. There's a lot going on in this "ride."

I don't know what the actual common failure points are. If part of it was, say, getting the trackless ride vehicles properly secured for the motion-simulating segment, you could change that part of the ride, simplify it, and just have the vehicle gently go down the elevator. But it wouldn't make it a better ride (well... I suppose it would for people who get motion sick :)).
I think the overarching point is that it would make it a better ride if it worked in the first place. Forget motion sickness… Need for the ride to work as the priority first to get on it 🤷‍♀️

All they got to do is charge you more than you ever seen before. Then you wont worry about rides breakIng down, all the time.

If it’s a Tesla 😆

In all seriousness, our trip in October we met up with my mom and her boyfriend, and every single ride they rode broke down at some point while they were on it or waiting in line. It was so bad that they started joking that we shouldn’t go on rides with them because they were cursed. I’ve never suggested to someone that they should go to guest services for a ticket refund but they literally did not make it through a single ride that day without getting stuck for some period of time. For the ticket prices they are charging, it’s just unacceptable.

Why is it so hard for many of you to accept the things that are happening and so quick to defend them?
I can answer this. For many people Disney is their identity. They are park regulars and feel anything bad about the parks reflect badly on them for loving them.

The do not question what they love.

Its a bit cultish in a way, I understand the love of the parks, I love them also, but blind love and faith is a very bad thing.

I can answer this. For many people Disney is their identity. They are park regulars and feel anything bad about the parks reflect badly on them for loving them.

Its a bit cultish in a way, I understand the love of the parks, I love them also, but blind love and faith is a very bad thing.
Exactly this. I love visiting and still enjoy my time there. But I’m not afraid to call them out on their nonsense when applicable, like the example set forth in this article

Wonderful headline. Too bad there is no nexus between admission prices and attraction down time. Attraction down time might be more about the complexity of new attractions or the age of old ones. Either way, it has nothing to do with ticket prices.

The correlation is that you are paying more and getting less in return.

Why is it so hard for many of you to accept the things that are happening and so quick to defend them?
To many people, Disney can do no wrong. Even when they are wrong, they will defend them. I call it "The Cult of Disney." Until folks vote with their wallet, Disney isn't going to care.

In 2018, my family and I had a really lousy trip to Disney. 30 minute Fast Pass waits (yes, 30 minute FP waits), etc., etc. I got pilloried when I posted on my experience on disboards. The problem must be me and my family, since St. Walt can do no wrong. After that, we haven't been back, and I don't post much on these boards anymore.

In general, we live in a society where people take disagreements very personal. Essentially that is what you are saying and I am agreeing with you, I am just being more direct. Instead of accepting that what they "follow" has fallacies, a different viewpoint is seen as a personal attack on their choices. It is indeed cultish. "Disney can do no wrong" My MIL will agree Disney is greedy, but anything beyond that she gets upset and walks out of the room.

In general, we live in a society where people take disagreements very personal. Essentially that is what you are saying and I am agreeing with you, I am just being more direct. Instead of accepting that what they "follow" has fallacies, a different viewpoint is seen as a personal attack on their choices. It is indeed cultish. "Disney can do no wrong" My MIL will agree Disney is greedy, but anything beyond that she gets upset and walks out of the room.
Thats kind of typical when people cannot justify their feelings.

Wonderful headline. Too bad there is no nexus between admission prices and attraction down time. Attraction down time might be more about the complexity of new attractions or the age of old ones. Either way, it has nothing to do with ticket prices.
Too bad there's a paywall I can't get past to read the article! lol

Thats kind of typical when people cannot justify their feelings.
Sometimes ppl also just not have the spoons to hear others **** on the one thing bringing them happiness in a really nasty world. I know for me it depends on how well everything else around me is going, if it's good I will be there critiquing too, if it's not thought, for the love of anything nice just let me have this one happy thing.

The last time I was there there were a ton of rides down, like nothing I've ever seen. We only had like one or two successful rope drops on a 9 day trip. Seven dwarfs was down 2 mornings, Remy was down, and rise broke down while we were on it, then throughout the day toy story mania was almost constantly down, little mermaid down while we were on it, small world down while we were on it, the land, and haunted mansion all had interruptions in service while we were on it. I was baffled and I'll whole heartedly admit I'm a Disney defender til the end. I understand you get high prices when you can't beat people away with a stick. But that trip was shocking, they need more maintenance workers obviously. I mean it's as plain as day.

The last time I was there there were a ton of rides down, like nothing I've ever seen. We only had like one or two successful rope drops on a 9 day trip. Seven dwarfs was down 2 mornings, Remy was down, and rise broke down while we were on it, then throughout the day toy story mania was almost constantly down, little mermaid down while we were on it, small world down while we were on it, the land, and haunted mansion all had interruptions in service while we were on it. I was baffled and I'll whole heartedly admit I'm a Disney defender til the end. I understand you get high prices when you can't beat people away with a stick. But that trip was shocking, they need more maintenance workers obviously. I mean it's as plain as day.
This is the only thing I am putting some hope in Iger for. I think a lot of this is because Bob Paycheck was "fire happy". I am hoping Iger realizes that they do not make money if people cannot enjoy themselves and as a result he hires people back. Total shot in the dark, I'm sure. :(

Last edited:
This is the only thing I am putting some hope in Iger for. I think a lot of this is because Bob Paycheck was "fire happy". I am hoping Iger realizes that they do not make money if people cannot enjoy themselves and as a result he hires people back. Total shot in the dark, I'm sure. :(
I do believe Iger is more apt to hear complaints and act on them. I also know there just seems to be a shortage of workers. Paying engineers and maintenance more will certainly help, but sometimes the people just aren't there to hire. I'm a teacher so I see that reality every day.

I do believe Iger is more apt to hear complaints and act on them. I also know there just seems to be a shortage of workers. Paying engineers and maintenance more will certainly help, but sometimes the people just aren't there to hire. I'm a teacher so I see that reality every day.

There is a shortage of workers (and teachers) who want to work for less than they are worth. That is accurate. If Disney wanted to cut into the bottom line and fix the problem, they could.

There is a shortage of workers (and teachers) who want to work for less than they are worth. That is accurate. If Disney wanted to cut into the bottom line and fix the problem, they could.
Low money to pay bills is better than no money to pay bills. Still gotta eat and live somewhere.
There is something deeper to people not working than just not wanting low wages. If you get laid off from your $70K a year job, you don't just sit at home and do nothing if a $35K a year job is all you can find.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter