Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
20161115_112908_zpsbgohzq7l.jpg

20161115_112554_zpsibb4lrkk.jpg
20161115_112330_zpskrnxwbzp.jpg

Made me smile on a night I really needed it! Thanks Kathy.

Although I did think drat Kathy took the pictures and she's so talented that her pictures probably will beat the real deal! Laughing.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Back story to my Christmas/NYs trip.

In 1974 my parents, and Lord knows how they did it - Dad was a firefighter and Mom stayed at home then, took us all- four kids two rooms - to WDW. And times when you spent what you had in your pocket and not a penny more. So man they must have saved and saved.

It was when there were three choices of course - Fort Wilderness, The Contemporary and The Polynesian.

We stayed in the brand new, futuristic hotel where that magic monorail shot on through. So lovely. :goodvibesI still think of that little tiny movie theatre in the basement. Magical.

But I learned on that trip, before - during - after , that my Mom's wish was to book The Polynesian but she was vetoed by my father.

And being the good woman;) that she was/is she never ever let him forget it. :rotfl2: As only a woman can do!

Good work Mom! :drinking1;) Poor Dad.

On that trip so long ago she would talk about how beautiful it was and how the rooms were so spacious. You know that passive aggressive skill of YOU WILL NOT FORGET WHAT I DID NOT GET. Laughing.

We went to the luau. Spent a lot of time at the resort.

And on every return trip, and with me on bring the parents DVC trips she would talk about the Polynesian and how she had wanted to stay there. Every trip. For years on end. A la "oh there's The Polynesian - that is where I always have wanted to stay." Once again, poor Dad! :rotfl: I'm sure he was/they were priced out of The Polynesian in the late seventies!

So almost 43 years later, here we are ----

My mother is in poor health and my father has recently passed away. Her health is so tentative that even getting health insurance is near impossible for her to cross the border

Well I've done it! I've found the insurance. DVC Polynesian has come to fruition. I've booked pretty well two weeks of prime time room bookings without being an owner at the resort. I'm a great DVC stalker. And I've told her she is finally going back *down south* like she's asked to do.

She's non-communicative and is now in a wheelchair but she's a goin'! And she's on a first class plane ticket at that. Well Southwest $99 on the way back - thank you Southwest!

Every day that is difficult I'm like oh no you push through right now, you have a plane seat waiting for you!

She knows she is going to WDW. But has no clue she's staying at The Polynesian.

So if you're down there and you see some strange woman bawling on the floor in The Polynesian lobby when her Mom is getting her lei placed over her, it's me! Say hi! :rotfl2:

Last edited:
Thanks for your review! Do you know how early you can order the Twilight Feast? 'Ohana opens at 5 so I'd assume not before then. Also, about how long did it take to arrive at the room after ordering?

I am not sure about ordering, it never happened for us before 5... for lunch i DO recommend going to Kona cafe and placing a to-go order. You can then sit on your patio and enjoy! It was amazing. The wait i heard on a youtube review said 45 min but when we ordered each time they said 25-30 min. You get lei's, and the cast member sets up your in room table with a table cloth, then explains and presents everything. You can request to go boxes when you call in room dining telling them you are finished. That takes the longest.. waiting for them to come clean it up. We waited awhile and i had to call back asking if we could wheel out the table b/c we couldn't wait any longer (going to see Wishes), and they said that was fine. I just wheeled it back in when we returned.. our 50 second walk back to the room! -remember, if you are not starving, get the kids portion. If you are starving get one adult portion for your family to share. You can request more bread. They did not charge us. It was amazing food. Enjoy!

I am not sure about ordering, it never happened for us before 5... for lunch i DO recommend going to Kona cafe and placing a to-go order. You can then sit on your patio and enjoy! It was amazing. The wait i heard on a youtube review said 45 min but when we ordered each time they said 25-30 min. You get lei's, and the cast member sets up your in room table with a table cloth, then explains and presents everything. You can request to go boxes when you call in room dining telling them you are finished. That takes the longest.. waiting for them to come clean it up. We waited awhile and i had to call back asking if we could wheel out the table b/c we couldn't wait any longer (going to see Wishes), and they said that was fine. I just wheeled it back in when we returned.. our 50 second walk back to the room! -remember, if you are not starving, get the kids portion. If you are starving get one adult portion for your family to share. You can request more bread. They did not charge us. It was amazing food. Enjoy!

..also note that Ohana does open earlier than 5pm. you can get adrs from 3:30pm... but go for room service.

We use DVC-rental. They are awesome!! They are also $14 per point so slightly cheaper.
I have a question about DVC rentals. We wanted to try AKL for just 2 nights before going to the Poly, will they rent for only 2 nights?

Where/when would I locate the activities schedule for December? Do they still do the torch lighting ceremony?

Has anyone shipped items from Amazon to Poly recently for their stay? How long did it take to get your package once you arrived?

In 1974 my parents, and Lord knows how they did it - Dad was a firefighter and Mom stayed at home then, took us all- four kids two rooms - to WDW. And times when you spent what you had in your pocket and not a penny more. So man they must have saved and saved.

It was when there were three choices of course - Fort Wilderness, The Contemporary and The Polynesian.

We stayed in the brand new, futuristic hotel where that magic monorail shot on through. So lovely. :goodvibesI still think of that little tiny movie theatre in the basement. Magical.

But I learned on that trip, before - during - after , that my Mom's wish was to book The Polynesian but she was vetoed by my father.

And being the good woman;) that she was/is she never ever let him forget it. :rotfl2: As only a woman can do!

On that trip so long ago she would talk about how beautiful it was and how the rooms were so spacious. You know that passive aggressive skill of YOU WILL NOT FORGET WHAT I DID NOT GET. Laughing.

And on every return trip, and with me on bring the parents DVC trips she would talk about the Polynesian and how she had wanted to stay there. Every trip. For years on end. A la "oh there's The Polynesian - that is where I always have wanted to stay." Once again, poor Dad! :rotfl: I'm sure he was/they were priced out of The Polynesian in the late seventies!

My mother is in poor health and my father has recently passed away. Her health is so tentative that even getting health insurance is near impossible for her to cross the border

Well I've done it! I've found the insurance. DVC Polynesian has come to fruition. I've booked pretty well two weeks of prime time room bookings without being an owner at the resort. I'm a great DVC stalker. And I've told her she is finally going back *down south* like she's asked to do.

She's non-communicative and is now in a wheelchair but she's a goin'! And she's on a first class plane ticket at that. Well Southwest $99 on the way back - thank you Southwest!

Every day that is difficult I'm like oh no you push through right now, you have a plane seat waiting for you!

So if you're down there and you see some strange woman bawling on the floor in The Polynesian lobby when her Mom is getting her lei placed over her, it's me! Say hi! :rotfl2:

What a great story! How exciting that you are able to take your mom to the Poly. Hope you both have an amazing time. Would love to hear all about it when you return :wizard:.

Anybody there now? Swimming? How is the water temp? We will be leaving next Sunday and we will be at the resort all day. Wondering if we should pack the swim suits.

We were there last week. We didn't go to the big pool, but went to the Oasis Pool several times and the water was cold!!! When the sun was out it felt okay, it on the cooler days it was frigid feeling.

We were there last week. We didn't go to the big pool, but went to the Oasis Pool several times and the water was cold!!! When the sun was out it felt okay, it on the cooler days it was frigid feeling.

Boo! Says someone who is looking forward to swimming next month.

Thanks DisneyHardin. Hope you had a wonderful vacation.

Last edited:
..also note that Ohana does open earlier than 5pm. you can get adrs from 3:30pm... but go for room service.

THANKS for the info! One more question, I think I read on here there is a room service fee - that is fine - but is the gratuity included on your bill for room service? It thought I remembered someone saying the fee/gratuity was different than normal, and I want to be sure I understand it & don't shortchange anyone.

I have a question about DVC rentals. We wanted to try AKL for just 2 nights before going to the Poly, will they rent for only 2 nights?

It really depends on who you rent from. We rented directly from a member for a one night stay so it is definitely possible, but I know some people don't prefer to do it.

AFAIK brokers have minimums for rental requests - not much in it for them to rent only a couple of nights. But you would be able to find an owner to rent directly from who would likely do only 2 nights.

THANKS for the info! One more question, I think I read on here there is a room service fee - that is fine - but is the gratuity included on your bill for room service? It thought I remembered someone saying the fee/gratuity was different than normal, and I want to be sure I understand it & don't shortchange anyone.

The gratuity is already calculated and added on to the room service bill. You would only add more on the tip line (which is still there) if you felt you wanted to tip more than the 18% already added. And there is also the additional service delivery charge added as well in addition to the price of the meal.

Although I did think drat Kathy took the pictures and she's so talented that her pictures probably will beat the real deal! Laughing.

___________________________________________________________________________________

You're welcome!!! Glad they were enjoyed - even if only taken with my little Samsung phone. :)

Sounds like a big memory making trip coming up - have a wonderful time!!! When do you arrive? I'll actually be back with family in a little less than a month. :santa:

You're welcome!!! Glad they were enjoyed - even if only taken with my little Samsung phone. :)

Sounds like a big memory making trip coming up - have a wonderful time!!! When do you arrive? I'll actually be back with family in a little less than a month. :santa:

So sorry that the phone didn't keep your secret! :rolleyes:

If you have forgotten what that is, it's that you are beyond skilled and are going to ruin reality for me. Insert wink.

Thank you about the trip. It is. I usually fly out of Buffalo, so much easier and cheaper. And the border is so swift. Customs at Pearson, sigh. Once I was sent to some kind of holding area for telling him I forgot that I had an apple in my bag. :rotfl:You know the kind of power tripping agent that couldn't simply let me throw it in the garbage sitting right there.

What!?@? :bounce: What date Kathy? At the Polynesian?

I arrive on the 23rd of December.

It really depends on who you rent from. We rented directly from a member for a one night stay so it is definitely possible, but I know some people don't prefer to do it.
Just got a great discount for August so we wont be renting DVC. Thanks for replying anyway.

It is included in the price. So when you sign the receipt once the food comes, it still has the line for a tip.. i just wrote the word 'included.' 18% already is included, and a service charge.. that said, getting the child's portion totals to only $28!!! You get the same full sizes of everything same as an adult, just a few less pieces of meat! I wish i knew that sooner.

What an amazing story! I hope you and your mom have the most magical vacation ever!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter