Disney's Magical Express to End in 2022, Extra Magic Hours to be Replaced with Early Theme Park Entry Later This Year

EMH ending allows them to have the After Hours parties more frequently without worrying about the impact on day guests. I can almost guarantee that's what they were going for on this
Oh, I totally agree...why give it away for free if the masses will pay (generally almost the same amount as another park day) for it. It's def. sad, but I'm positive that's why...they used to have so many more EMH's and then started adding more and more pay events instead.

As others have said, 30 minutes is nothing. If it was an hour, I would be a little more accepting. We've all pointed out, 30 minutes gets you maybe one ride. If that early entry was what helped determine if I stayed on Disney property or not, I would choose off-site every time. MDE was always a great thing, it definitely encouraged me to stay onsite and fly into MCO. Now, I would definitely reconsider. MDE truly was a deciding factor in where I stayed and how I approached my trip to Disney World.

So true! As a solo traveler this will certainly drive me to stay off-site.

"We will continue to operate the service for new and existing reservations made at Disney Resort hotels for arrivals throughout 2021."

That part is interesting:
My current plan is to activate my previously purchased AP in November and use it throughout 2022. So if I book my three 2022 trips in 2021 it seems I'll still be able to use DME even in Nov of '22.

Solo here. Yes, the no DME stinks, but Lyft is super easy to use to get to and from MCO - and then just use Disney busses on property. Stay off property and you're renting a car and paying parking or paying LyftUber/taxi back and forth every day. I can easily budget for a Lyft to and from without problem.

Plus look at all the people who whine about how early DME picks you up to get to the airport - no more faking a later ticket. You just go when you want.

Mears discontinued the shuttle service recently
Yeah but Mears just announced that they understand the Disney decision but will continue to offer transportation for guests to Disney and UO hotels from MCO. So Mears transportation will be back.

AP holders and day guests get the worst of it.... I think people are missing the bigger point here.....The Early Hours completely eliminates rope dropping for all non resort guests. Disney attendance has been hampered during the pandemic and the AP holders and day guests have kept them afloat and this is how they thank them? "Sorry, every park every day now has a 60+ min line for its headliner attraction and you can't get a head start".......Thanks for nothing

Last edited:
As others have said, 30 minutes is nothing. If it was an hour, I would be a little more accepting. We've all pointed out, 30 minutes gets you maybe one ride. If that early entry was what helped determine if I stayed on Disney property or not, I would choose off-site every time. MDE was always a great thing, it definitely encouraged me to stay onsite and fly into MCO. Now, I would definitely reconsider. MDE truly was a deciding factor in where I stayed and how I approached my trip to Disney World.

Eliminating Extra Magic Hours feels like something WDW has been looking to do for a while, especially after they introduced add-ons like Early Morning Magic. No, that doesn't make the change justifiable - or easier to swallow (ick). But if I took a $6b operational revenue loss, I'd probably feel pressured into making the move now to push an alternate revenue-generating mechanism into the spotlight.

Would seem like a move to make in alignment with other speculative money schemes like Upgrade FastPass plans (assuming it comes back).

Eliminating Extra Magic Hours feels like something WDW has been looking to do for a while, especially after they introduced add-ons like Early Morning Magic. No, that doesn't make the change justifiable - or easier to swallow (ick). But if I took a $6b operational revenue loss, I'd probably feel pressured into making the move now to push an alternate revenue-generating mechanism into the spotlight.

Would seem like a move to make in alignment with other speculative money schemes like Upgrade FastPass plans (assuming it comes back).
Oh I understand, and I agree with you. It's not a change that came form left-field so to speak. We could see it heading this way. The pandemic then just provided the perfect opportunity for it. And I know they're still trying to provide some sort of benefit for on-site guests. But really, there's almost nothing anymore. EMH were, for many, hands down the only reason they stayed onsite.

That has to be one of the worst decisions they have made lately. They charge a premium to stay onsite and then you have to pay to get there. This might be the biggest push to get us offsite forever.
I agree with everyone that this might be the thing that makes me look offsite as well. What perks actually do remain for staying onsite???
I have, since they were wee little people, been traveling to DIsney just me and my 2 kids. The ease of knowing we have a reliable and most importantly, a SAFE ride to and from the hotel is HUGE for this single parent! I also usually just go with the flow on all these changes (knowing that $$$ is the biggest driver for most of these decisions) but the loss of the ME really stinks!

But if I took a $6b operational revenue loss, I'd probably feel pressured into making the move now to push an alternate revenue-generating mechanism into the spotlight.

But they didn't do that! Sure, put in Villain Parties three times a week, make a $15 Maleficent cupcake -- take my money!

There's no reason EMH and paid parties can't coexist, and I believe they will again after capacity resumes.

We got on a Magical Express bus the morning of 12/30 at 8:20am. We were the only 3 persons on the bus and off we went. It was so NICE and I thought to myself: "this is NOT cost effective at all".
The elimination isn't a surprise to me, it is losing $ hand over foot right now.

I hear you. I have an old fashioned flip phone, but am thinking about getting a smart phone just because everything seems to be linked to it.
You didn't mention cabs. We can't get uber because of no smart phone either. But on our last trip to Universal, we got a cab and that worked out great.
I've been wanting to stay offsite at a nice condo and do other things for a while, so this may be what I needed to do it.
You took a taxi from the airport?

This is a huge disappointment. We plan on going in October (fingers crossed since we couldn't go on our August trip), but that may be the last time for awhile. Our girls are older anyway, and I would love for DS to have the same experiences they did but he has already gone 5 times and keeps telling me he'd rather to go Hawaii. :confused3
Do you think your daughters or husband are coaching him to say that?:cutie:

We got on a Magical Express bus the morning of 12/30 at 8:20am. We were the only 3 persons on the bus and off we went. It was so NICE and I thought to myself: "this is NOT cost effective at all".
The elimination isn't a surprise to me, it is losing $ hand over foot right now.
But by 2022, the social distancing on the buses should be a thing of the past. The buses were crowded enough to justify the expense pre-Covid.

the loosing of DME means that Disney is going to loose 2 day of money from my family. when i book my flight i get into MCO around noon to 2 afternoon, get to hotel and go right to a park. now i will get into MCO same time Take an hour or so to wait for luggage and to get a ride (or rent a car).if i rent a car will drop stuff off at hotel and get somewhere to eat now can leave the bubble .on the day we leave i would plan on getting to MCO around 4 to 6 ,so we would hit a park for half a day. Now we will have to get to MCO much earlier to check in and return car so we will do a stop at a mall or something like that on day of leaving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter