Disney's Magical Express to End in 2022, Extra Magic Hours to be Replaced with Early Theme Park Entry Later This Year

My thoughts...
  • The taxi/pickup area at MCO will now be an even greater nightmare.
  • I believe Disney is grealty underestimating the value DME provides their Guests. Especially for solo travelers.
  • An extra 30 minutes in the parks is not enough time to consider it a perk. This is just enough time for one... maybe two rides before the floodgates open. Better than nothing, I suppose.
I'm just glad we visited in 2018 and 2019, before all of these budget cuts. I'll be referring to 2020 onward as "The Chapek Years".

Last edited:
So I guess this is the end for the luggage service and resort airline checkin. I know neither is going on at the moment, but I know most of us were hoping they’d both come back.

Guess I’ll have to pony up the money for an Uber XL on my trips now. This sucks.

Someone is going to explain how Disney is actually going to get their onsite guests to the park in time for that 30 minute window without them needing to line up for an hour before transportation starts...

Sorry but 30 mins is a slap in the face. it's throwing a dog a bone. Here, Loyal Disney fans, fetch. They can't even dedicate staff for a full hour? Really?

I just can't with their choices these days...

So I guess this is the end for the luggage service and resort airline checkin. I know neither is going on at the moment, but I know most of us were hoping they’d both come back.

Guess I’ll have to pony up the money for an Uber XL on my trips now. This sucks.
It will be the going back to the airport that concerns me the most.

This is the stupidest idea I've heard in a long time. As an out of state visitor, they're basically forcing me to rent a car at the airport.

Wanna know how I'll make up the money to rent that car? By staying off property at a fraction of the price in a room at the same level of quality. And while I'm off property, I can also eat at restaurants that are just as good but with much better prices.

Unless there's some sort of Disney-owned transportation in the pipeline, or construction on that train to Disney Springs gets super fast tracked, I think we'll see this decision reversed.

I guess I'll be investigating off site options and transportation options as well. I liked being able to get on the plane and not have to think about how I'd be getting anywhere. I guess I will be more inclined to explore other options now. If I had known my trip in 2019 was going to be my last one of it's kind I would have made it longer.

I don't see well enough to use smart phones, which is what you need for ride-share services. I don't know how I will now get to WDW, other than expensive limo services. As it is, I can't use mobile order, and all the other myriad things that require smart phones. Soon, one may not be able to go to WDW unless they use smart phones. WDW does not care. It is less off their plate. Saves them money. And they still won't invest the savings in better IT.

I hear you. I have an old fashioned flip phone, but am thinking about getting a smart phone just because everything seems to be linked to it.
You didn't mention cabs. We can't get uber because of no smart phone either. But on our last trip to Universal, we got a cab and that worked out great.
I've been wanting to stay offsite at a nice condo and do other things for a while, so this may be what I needed to do it.

I believe Disney is grealty underestimating the value DME provides their Guests. Especially for solo travelers.
So true! As a solo traveler this will certainly drive me to stay off-site.

"We will continue to operate the service for new and existing reservations made at Disney Resort hotels for arrivals throughout 2021."

That part is interesting:
My current plan is to activate my previously purchased AP in November and use it throughout 2022. So if I book my three 2022 trips in 2021 it seems I'll still be able to use DME even in Nov of '22.

All these perks taken away were “ hidden fees” cause nothing was ever Free at Disney. Think DIsney will be honest and offer reduction in nightly hotel rates ? This is the response I expected since every question on discussion boards has basically been Should I Uber Lyft RentaCar. So basically once again Disney is only giving us what we ask for.
Sorry for the Mears drivers that will lose their jobs.
Hope Uber& Lyft drivers can afford the fees to operate their business on property...

Mears discontinued the shuttle service recently

I did'nt mention Mears, as we had a bad experience with them and will never try to use them again. I had heard they are unreliable, and we found that out! So, we don't recommend mears at all for anything.

So true! As a solo traveler this will certainly drive me to stay off-site.

"We will continue to operate the service for new and existing reservations made at Disney Resort hotels for arrivals throughout 2021."

That part is interesting:
My current plan is to activate my previously purchased AP in November and use it throughout 2022. So if I book my three 2022 trips in 2021 it seems I'll still be able to use DME even in Nov of '22.
I believe you overlooked the language that I have highlighted in your own post. Regardless of when you book it, your 2022 trips will not involve arrivals in 2021.

we had already planned to cancel our April 2021 trip due to Covid and reschedule for 2022. Grand kids really want to do Universal, we might skip Disney completely. Less and less services provided by Disney for very high prices.

Some rather significant WDW resorts updates to start the week....

Per Disney Parks Blog - https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2021/01/a-look-ahead-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

DME to End in 2022
Vacationers have more options to choose from than ever for transportation, including ride-share services that save time and offer more flexibility to go where they want, when they want.

In light of this shift, when Disney Resort hotel bookings open for stays in 2022, we will no longer offer Disney’s Magical Express service for airport transportation, starting with arrivals Jan. 1, 2022.

We will continue to operate the service for new and existing reservations made at Disney Resort hotels for arrivals throughout 2021.

Additionally, complimentary transportation options – such as buses, monorails and Disney Skyliner – will continue to be available within Walt Disney World Resort for Disney Resort hotel guests, including to and from all four theme parks.

Coming Soon - Early Theme Park Entry
We know how much guests enjoy extra park time, so coming later this year as part of our 50th anniversary celebration, Disney Resort hotel guests and guests of other select hotels will be able to enjoy more fun with 30-minute early entry to ANY theme park, EVERY day.

It’ll be a great way to get a jump start on your Disney day, no matter the day!

As a reminder, the Extra Magic Hours benefit was suspended when Walt Disney World Resort reopened last summer, and as we continue to manage attendance with health and safety top of mind, Extra Magic Hours will not return.

The new early theme park entry benefit helps us better spread visitation across all four theme parks, while providing added flexibility by giving guests extra early park time on each day of their vacation and in the park of their choosing.

Please note that guests need valid admission and a park reservation made via the Disney Park Pass system to enter a theme park.

Other Links:

https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories/disneys-magical-express-extra-magic-hours-to-be-discontinued/
OMG...30 minutes...what's the point. I guess they'll be stopping all getting in 30-45 mins. prior...blah...what a crappy announcement. - Thank you for sharing, def. glad to know, but them trying to spin resort guests get an extra.... 30 MINUTES....how ridiculous...especially considering it used to be an hour prior/3 hours after...between that and the pretty poor "discount/promo" of the 2 extra days...my hopes are not hanging high for anything helpful in the near future :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter