Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA Information & Questions + Construction Updates

My rule with towels on chairs? I ask people sitting on either side if it’s their group? Yes they are in the pool or on their way? Ok

If they say I’ve been sitting here X time and haven’t seen any people I then look for personal belongings. If it’s 4 or more towels and no shoes, bags , personal belongings I remove the towels and use the chairs. No one walks from the room to the pool barefoot!

In all the years I have done this no one has ever said anything to me. I would say it’s rare I need to do it. . Oddly I feel like CSR and Poly quiet/oasis pool come to mind as pools I have needed to do this. Poly ? 6 people in the pool and like all the chairs are taken. Like how ? Yep no shirts , no shoes? The chair is now mine.
My rule of thumb is this: if there are dirty towels on the chairs and no personal belongings, then I ask the people nearby if they know anything about the former occupants. Then I do a good deed and put the dirty towels in the bin and take the chair. I never touch a chair with belongings.

Just like your experience, I have never had someone come up to me and say that I took their chair. What I have seen is chairs that have been "hogged" all day only to have the offenders arrive in the afternoon, take their stuff and leave. They never even used the pool.

My rule with towels on chairs? I ask people sitting on either side if it’s their group? Yes they are in the pool or on their way? Ok

If they say I’ve been sitting here X time and haven’t seen any people I then look for personal belongings. If it’s 4 or more towels and no shoes, bags , personal belongings I remove the towels and use the chairs. No one walks from the room to the pool barefoot!

In all the years I have done this no one has ever said anything to me. I would say it’s rare I need to do it. . Oddly I feel like CSR and Poly quiet/oasis pool come to mind as pools I have needed to do this. Poly ? 6 people in the pool and like all the chairs are taken. Like how ? Yep no shirts , no shoes? The chair is now mine.

Hi everyone, just back from a perfect trip to the GF.

As for the pools there was hardly any staff (I really should send an email regarding that). Only one server Margaret (always there, so sweet) to serve the entire pool area. She was insanely busy and she was dealing with people very upset over no chairs.

We honestly started after day 2, leaving stuff on two chairs after breakfast and walk (and believe it or not there were only a few left at that time...9:30). We did run upstairs grab our swim suits and return within 15-20 minutes, but by that time all the seats were gone...it was crazy. People put towels on 4 to 5 seats in the prime area (around the standing level of the pool), we just took two in the back because we stay in the water 90% of the time.

I did speak to a bunch of friends of yours that work there and they don't think anything is happening in the lobby until next year. They also said that they heard the tea room returning should be announced soon as far as they know (but who knows if their facts are straight) just figured I would report back what I heard.

I’ve personally had a hard time finding chairs at times at GF so I know it happens.

Did just want to point out that it has been absurdly warm the past few weeks. Close to 100 a few days ago. With some exceptions, very little rain/storms (Orlando is in a drought). The kind of never ending heat type of day where you start cancelling your plans because you can’t stand the thought of heading back out. Perfect conditions for pool crowds, generally speaking.

It would be nice if the Cast Members enforced the prohibition on chair hoarding. Which to their credit, I have seen them do often. It’s unfortunately an uphill battle.

A more effective approach would be to require courses on “Common Sense” and “Basic Empathy 101” for guests that run around in the morning hoarding chairs.

As for the pools there was hardly any staff (I really should send an email regarding that). Only one server Margaret (always there, so sweet) to serve the entire pool area. She was insanely busy and she was dealing with people very upset over no chairs.

We honestly started after day 2, leaving stuff on two chairs after breakfast and walk (and believe it or not there were only a few left at that time...9:30). We did run upstairs grab our swim suits and return within 15-20 minutes, but by that time all the seats were gone...it was crazy. People put towels on 4 to 5 seats in the prime area (around the standing level of the pool), we just took two in the back because we stay in the water 90% of the time.

I did speak to a bunch of friends of yours that work there and they don't think anything is happening in the lobby until next year. They also said that they heard the tea room returning should be announced soon as far as they know (but who knows if their facts are straight) just figured I would report back what I heard.
Thanks for sharing!

Next year? Sheesh, thanks for the heads up.
What room category did you have this trip? Did you like the updates? Sorry I can’t remember if you got a new room last year? I know you usually go may or June ish .

Next year? Sheesh, thanks for the heads up.
What room category did you have this trip? Did you like the updates? Sorry I can’t remember if you got a new room last year? I know you usually go may or June ish .
I was lucky enough to get a king room, unfortunately in the 4th floor (hate that balcony). Yes, I had a new room last year and a new room this year. I LOVE the updates, I love all the storage space and decor.

We ate in Citrico’s, Narcoossee’s and Enchanted Rose. Cast members were amazing and I love the flow if the design within all the spaces

Hi all! I quickly scanned the last few pages. Now that we are mid-June, are there any additional updates on the refurbishment? Is there an update on when the Lobby refurbishment will start? Are there still construction walls and equipment outside?

I have a reservation at YC for end of July to celebrate my DD's birthday, and just curious about what is happening with the main building at GF this summer. I probably will keep YC, but just curious about GF. TIA!
We are arriving 6/23 and will be happy to update you when we get there!

My rule of thumb is this: if there are dirty towels on the chairs and no personal belongings, then I ask the people nearby if they know anything about the former occupants. Then I do a good deed and put the dirty towels in the bin and take the chair. I never touch a chair with belongings.

Just like your experience, I have never had someone come up to me and say that I took their chair. What I have seen is chairs that have been "hogged" all day only to have the offenders arrive in the afternoon, take their stuff and leave. They never even used the pool.
Chair hogs are gonna chair hog unfortunately. But I follow this same rule and don't have issues.

I have to admit though all this talk is making me considering booking a patio at the Courtyard pool. On our last full day we are having a pool day before we go to the Halloween party that night and I can't imagine September will be any less hot than it is now.

Staying at the Grand now and also heard from a couple of Cast Members that the lobby refurbishment may not happen until next year, as construction crews focus on the stores.
I am crossing my fingers hoping this will be the case. Ultimately I know we will still enjoy our stay regardless but I've been secretly hoping for the lobby to be put off for the benefit of my partner, since this will be her first stay there.

Had a split stay GFV theme park view resort studio 5/26-5/29. BWV 5/29-6/1.
Enjoyed GFV…walking to MK cannot be beat….in charge of your own feet/transportation = priceless at Disney. Room wonderful. View amazing. Food was great. Didn’t use the pool.

The one big miss…parking.
….checked in Sunday at 4:30. parked in one of few available spots, settled in. Drove to Epcot. Upon returning around 8pm, absolutely no parking in self park. Left to go through gate entrance yet again to ask attendant where to park when there were no more parking spaces. He said nothing of valet option (which I think should maybe be complimentary if you have a resort reservation & they’ve given out all the self park spaces to people not staying at the resort). Instead, he directed us to parking down & across the street.

Thankfully I had no luggage at this point. A cast member came to the lot in a golf cart and ferried us as well as some dining guests to GF. She was really for dining guests of GF which we could tell by conversation. I asked her if safe to leave belongings in my car overnight since we were hotel guests. She said yes…secure….have to get permission to get in there (when we entered, we just pushed a button….it didn’t accept my magic band scanning…no special permission….the button didn’t dispense a ticket….later found that cast members also park in that lot….and it is overflow for dining guests).

Anyway, the GF gatekeeper only checked ID upon checking in for our reservation. other times if I said returning guest….no questions asked, no MB scan. So I’m quite certain non resort guests (dining and otherwise) were parking there easily….and this was Memorial Day weekend. I understand that on off season but not Memorial Day.

It was sketchy getting parking the three nights we were there. MK was a crowd level 1 on Memorial Day. So I think it was mainly due to dining guests.

I know 1900 PF recently resumed dining. Is this the issue? We had no problems finding parking when we stayed at GFV a year ago same time frame.

As a side note…BWV weren’t really gatekeeping either. No proof of ID or reservation needed to get in there while we were guests the last half of our trip. Parking was limited around dinner time but plenty of parking the other times we entered….morning, noon, night.

If you have a DVC reservation for the new resort studio, do you check in at the villas building or main desk? This is our first stay in the new building.

We're excited for our first stay at the Grand Floridian in July. We booked a water view room. I saw the first post on this thread which shows which buildings have "water view" rooms. Any specific buildings that are a favorite for past guests and why? TIA.

I am crossing my fingers hoping this will be the case. Ultimately I know we will still enjoy our stay regardless but I've been secretly hoping for the lobby to be put off for the benefit of my partner, since this will be her first stay there.
We jumped on some availability for this weekend (at VGF right now, in fact). No signs that construction is about to begin and no talk of it. None of the DVC reps on the ground seem to know anything either — just the same rumors and timeline that we’ve all heard.

I will say that the lobby is CROWDED though with 1900 PF opening. Almost unbearably crowded and chaotic. I wonder if they’re trying to let that settle down some before closing it off.

Clearly, that means nothing for September, but maybe it makes you feel a little better about your odds. Hope you enjoy your trip!

So excited to go back to GF, and check out the new rooms! Is there fireworks viewing from the club level lounge? We have a reservation at Narcoossees on the 3rd of July and are trying to sort out where to watch the MK fireworks.

We're excited for our first stay at the Grand Floridian in July. We booked a water view room. I saw the first post on this thread which shows which buildings have "water view" rooms. Any specific buildings that are a favorite for past guests and why? TIA.
I liked Sugar Loaf, facing the marina!

So excited to go back to GF, and check out the new rooms! Is there fireworks viewing from the club level lounge? We have a reservation at Narcoossees on the 3rd of July and are trying to sort out where to watch the MK fireworks.
Depending on the time, you can just stay there and watch, if you’d like! They have a private deck just for diners!! Can also go on the boat dock, but it will be crowded. Enjoy!

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest