Disneyland was AWFUL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was not my intention to hurt the feelings of anyone who likes it there. I was simply trying to be real and give an honest review of my personal experience.

Ehh, I took your post as laced with hyperbole - I don't think there's any need for anyone to read too much into that. You had a rough time and that'll make people emotional about it. Of course, some people will be emotional about your word choices too, though I don't think that's a reason to be dismissive of your experience or concerns. I do hope things fo better for you if you do go back. 🙂

Wouldn't know. WDW is huge so there is really no reason to leave the "bubble" except to go to the airport. :earsboy:
True, but if you are relying on the "Disney Bubble" to keep crime away you may be disappointed.

I do hope that you give Disneyland another chance. I've been to every Disney park except for Shanghai and it is hands down my favorite.

Wow, what a stark difference from what we experienced for our first trip on the same days you were there! We never felt unsafe, we rode 20 rides on Tuesday (most of the times posted on the app were exaggerated), we never had a problem finding food (we had reservations in DTD and also utilized mobile order several times a day while in the park). We traveled with our 12 year old and 8 year old and each one of us had a permanent smile on our face the entire time. We did two full days in each park. We went into the trip with no expectations and it was the most magical & merry time. We were suppose to be in Aulani last week but decided to change plans and travel closer to home due to Covid. Disneyland/CA was an excellent replacement for us. So for anyone who read the title of this post and thought "oh no!", rest assured that Disneyland is still the happiest place on earth. :)

Sorry your trip sucked but I'm just laughing so much at Anaheim being called "seedy". Specially around the parks everything is so well lit, people walking everywhere at all times of day and night, like, I think Anaheim is prob one of the least seediest places I have ever been.

For me a "Disneyland was AWFUL!" trip beats the cold winter days I have coming up.

It's sad to hear when people have a less than happy experience in the parks.
I agree for the OP to try another trip.
With some planning I feel you can have a nice time in the parks.

Look at this thread “2022 Calendar of Events & School Breaks and DLR” to get an idea of what is happening in the parks as well as around DLR.

OP. For a second trip, you wouldn't want to be there during one of the popular busy times.
Figment_jii's thread will help planners know how to navigate these event.

G

I do agree with that one of the problems of Disneyland is that it's build for 1950s crowds, it cannot handle 2020s crowds. With so much stuff in a small space, it feels crowded very quickly.
On the other hand, if you came into guest services with this attitude, as in all emotional and yelling everything is awful, I would probably also say 'you agreed to certain terms and conditions'. It comes across as you buy a cake blindly without knowing what it is, eat half the cake and then realize it's strawberry flavour and you do not like strawberry, and then go to return the cake.

I wouldn't label Anaheim as "seedy" by a long shot, but it is definitely different for people who have never been in that kind of environment.

This. There's usually some homeless folks out and about so if you've never been in that environment it can be a different experience. When we were staying at the Tropicana two weeks ago there were often one or two homeless camped out at the patio tables by the convenience store and I got asked for money from them a few times.

But I live in Colorado where we have a large amount of homeless in the town I'm in so it's something I'm used to. It can be jarring though, if you're not used to it.

OP I prefer WDW by leaps and bounds as well. But I do visit Disneyland on occasion and know what to expect so I enjoy myself there as well. But its a local park not a vacation destination and I really prefer the vacation destination feel.

Research prior to DL is key just like any other Disney park. Just because it is “small” doesn’t mean you can just assume “I have been (insert Disney Park) a thousand times, I got this”. Secondly my beef was with the OP description of Anaheim. It sounds to me like they might of let their impression of the city surrounding DL define the rest of their trip. I am sorry you went at a busy time of the year which could of been researched prior to your trip. The food at DL is no way on par with WDW but there is still plenty of non”carnival” food to be had. I am sorry for your interaction with the Guest Relations Cast Member. However they have no obligation to refund a magic key for the reasons you listed.

Wow, what a stark difference from what we experienced for our first trip on the same days you were there! We never felt unsafe, we rode 20 rides on Tuesday (most of the times posted on the app were exaggerated), we never had a problem finding food (we had reservations in DTD and also utilized mobile order several times a day while in the park). We traveled with our 12 year old and 8 year old and each one of us had a permanent smile on our face the entire time. We did two full days in each park. We went into the trip with no expectations and it was the most magical & merry time. We were suppose to be in Aulani last week but decided to change plans and travel closer to home due to Covid. Disneyland/CA was an excellent replacement for us. So for anyone who read the title of this post and thought "oh no!", rest assured that Disneyland is still the happiest place on earth. :)

We were also there Tuesday and Wednesday last week and had a great time and found the crowds really manageable. My kids are 3 and 7 so we arrived at Disneyland around 8am on Tuesday and went on 7-8 rides and had 2 sit down snack/meal breaks before leaving at 12pm for a hotel break, went to DCA in the evening to see some shows in avengers, ate dinner, and enjoyed the lights and a couple rides.

Wednesday we went to Disneyland in the afternoon for the parade and stayed until fireworks and a few more rides. It was definitely less crowded than when we went in late October, also quick return times for mobile orders the whole 2 days. I think it's a matter of expectations, Disneyland and Disney World are just entirely different experiences in general.

I'm sorry you perceived it to be that way. If you're going to head to head compare it to WDW, it's never going to be 100% comparable. It sounds like one thing went wrong and you let a negative attitude take over and not look for anything positive. I've never had a trip where I could complain. Yes, there are crowds, but they also are maintaining covid protocols. The park is built much smaller than MK so sidewalks and common areas seem more crowded. Be sure to check parade and cavalcade times so you are prepared to be in the front! We just came back from WDW for 10 days and ate and saw plenty of unhealthy food, not to mention the "carnival style" setup of Food and Wine.

To call Anaheim "seedy" makes me wonder if you've actually ever been someplace other than the suburbs. Homelessness is a problem everywhere. I have never felt unsafe walking to our hotel on Harbor or Katella. Like others have said, check out South Central or East Oakland and then get back with me.

I am 99% positive you posted this to get a rise out of the locals and the regulars. My suggestion is that next time before you go, you do your homework to know what to expect so you won't be disappointed when you arrive. Imagine if someone went to WDW for the first time and didn't plan a thing and couldn't get ADRs or G+ or didn't know one thing about how WDW works. Of course they would end up disappointed.

It does seem that Disney superfans on these boards have extremely high expectations that are not realistic right now. There is a huge staffing shortage in pretty much every sector of the economy, but especially in the hospitality industry. Even as all-powerful as Disney seems, it can't actually alter reality. I honestly think we all have to dramatically adjust our expectations.

It was not my intention to hurt the feelings of anyone who likes it there. I was simply trying to be real and give an honest review of my personal experience.

To be fair both sides of the DIS can be " harsh" at times, lol. I don't think it was personal , just not prepared perhaps as you mentioned you only leave the bubble to leave for the airport which defintely WDW and DLR cannot compare. I also grew up in Florida in very poor conditions both in Tampa and other major metro areas so my perspective is also different and that's fine too.
I'm glad you at least tried things out and it might not ever be for you , and that's okay too. I admit WDW now is less home to me than it was when I grew up there due to it's massive size where staying onsite is an absolute MUST. California has a lot to offer still and the Anaheim packing district and downtown Fullerton have some great food spots to enjoy just as a heads up to anyone :)

And sometimes people need to hear that so they can have appropriate expectations heading in.

I absolutely agree and we as Disney fans can be very protective and that's understandable but can give us insight to things ahead of time :)

I’m in the GCH lobby wrapping up our weekend as I type this, and I’m sincerely sad you didn’t have a good time. We had a blast this past weekend, but we are also well seasoned in DLR procedure and esoterics.

We picked this weekend because it is in-season shoulder season, I don’t know how bad crowds were during the OP’s visit.

The crime rate in Anaheim is well known, friends who live/lived here call it “Anacrime,” but that doesn’t sound like the main issue.

I’ll type more later, but it sounds like a failure to manage expectations and procedure. If you came here looking for Michelin starred cuisine, this is not the place for that.

I’m really really hoping the OP (or anyone else) isn’t describing Anaheim as “seedy” based on the signage and appearances of the small businesses around town…mostly because, in my unenlightened days, I used to equate a shopping plaza not looking like Irvine Spectrum as “hood” when it’s just people trying to grind out a living with their nail salon businesses, taquerias, and laundromats.

Anaheim doesn’t have that polished resort look, for sure, but seeing rows of pawn shops doesn’t automatically make a place seedy.

OP you said you went “last week” did you mean the week of 11/28 to 11/5? I am sincerely surprised you thought it was overly crowded. I visited twice last week (Sunday and Thursday) and I thought the crowds were wonderful! Yes, it is the holidays so there are lots of people in the parks but I would call the crowds moderate and pleasant. We were able experience so many attractions and eat so much yummy food.

If you thought last week was too crowded, definitely make a note not to visit Disneyland in October because THOSE are some miserable crowds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter