Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

Even at $200 per room night I'm quite confident GCV would have a margin over having it closed.

Is there a line to get into dtd with current capacity?
If not, using the hotels will improve foot traffic.

We often take out from dtd and eat at the room. If you create foot traffic, stores will open. If no traffic no open.

does dtd have a line control entry at this time?

... Is there a line to get into dtd with current capacity?...
does dtd have a line control entry at this time?
DTD can have a line, sometimes long, to enter. Disney is trying to keep capacity down to half or less right now by closing off parking when necessary. Weekends are usually more crowded than weekdays, although we saw crowds pick up noticeably yesterday evening while we were there. Parking closed for some period during the day on at least several days over the past week.

... DTD is not a big enough draw to warrant a hotel stay.
Especially when so many things nearby are still closed. We drove to DTD yesterday, and it looked like the only businesses open nearby were fast food places. We wouldn't pay on site prices just to hang by the pool. That can be nice, but what if everyone else is doing the same thing? So much for relaxing...

I originally had a back up reservation at the Courtyard Marriott Theme Park Entrance in August. I thought I had canceled but I guess I didn't(oops!). Anyway, I received a a cancelation email stating they would be closed until September first today.

I originally had a back up reservation at the Courtyard Marriott Theme Park Entrance in August. I thought I had canceled but I guess I didn't(oops!). Anyway, I received a a cancelation email stating they would be closed until September first today.
I noticed Grand Legacy is also not opening until September 1.

Who would be the guests staying at the hotels right now? DTD is not a big enough draw to warrant a hotel stay.
A friend of my mom went to stay at a deluxe hotel in her own hometown for a night during this period, just to get out of the house, a deluxe bedroom & bathroom, room service etc.
So my guess it's people in close proximity wanting a break.

I'm honestly not even sure if OC has cleared hotels to open to leisure travelers yet. Last I heard, they had not. Driving through Anaheim on the way to DtD, all the hotels appear closed, with cones or tape up across the entrances.

My son said "it's like a ghost town." It really is. It's kind of eerie.

Some are open. Not many, but some are. Anaheim Hotel, Wyndham and Hotel Indigo (there might be more, but I know those 3 are for sure open right now). And I agree, it looked like a ghost town. Super eerie.👻

I saw a sign outside of Ralph Brennans saying they will reopen soon. Not sure what is considered soon, so maybe over time they will increase capacity at DTD. Right now it seems low (which is good).
When we were there this weekend, we saw people in both Tortilla Jo's and Jazz Kitchen. Looked like they were walking around making preparations. All the lights were on inside too.

Reopening the hotels while we can't do indoor dining makes no sense. There aren't enough dining options available onsite right now to support the hotels being open. Most restaurants in DtD are still not open.
I seriously doubt that they would find a lot of guests willing to pay for a rather expensive room if the parks aren’t open. My guess would be that a lot of people who go to DTD right now are probably locals who don’t need a hotel room, and other travelers, who usually wouldn’t mind paying premium rates to be close to the park and get EMH perks may look at other, less expensive hotels further away from the parks (I’m of course speculating here—I don’t have any actual data about this).

Opening up either hotels or eateries only makes sense if the owners expect enough business to cover the overhead (wages, supplies, etc). In Germany (which is usually my go-to comparison, since that is where I’m originally from & where I still have family) health order compliance & opening efforts are further ahead, but some larger places did close again after initially opening, because it became quickly clear to them that it unfortunately didn’t make any financial sense for them to be open.

Last edited:
We would potentially stay at the GCH or DLH without the parks being open for the right price.

My concern would be how crowded the pool would be.... given that there’s really nothing else to do on property with the parks closed and no character dining.

We would potentially stay at the GCH or DLH without the parks being open for the right price.

My concern would be how crowded the pool would be.... given that there’s really nothing else to do on property with the parks closed and no character dining.
Us too. Pool day at the DLH would be incredible!

I have to agree here. I have no problem taking food up to my room to eat. I take my food to my home to eat. :) The pools would be interesting. I would just enjoy walking around outside, personally. I don't need to visit a busy beach, business or pool. I am interested in how busy Legoland hotel has been since it opened, because I would think both Universal and Disney must be watching that as well. It's all a tough guessing game right now.

So my guess it's people in close proximity wanting a break.
I doubt there are enough of these people to make it a financial viable option for Disney. If Disney thought they could make money/profit from having the hotels open they would do so.

Yes having the hotels open would draw people to DTD. But DTD isn’t going to draw people to the hotels.

2021 isn’t available yet to book is it? I’m forcing myself to make some kind of decision this week.

Either I’m pushing it to the holiday season (my favorite) or to next year. I’m too stressed playing the waiting game- it’s taking the fun out of the planning which I normally love!

The original opening date of DLR was before the hotels so I would think they would use that same strategy for the next opening date. Just a guess though.

I have to agree here. I have no problem taking food up to my room to eat. I take my food to my home to eat. :) The pools would be interesting. I would just enjoy walking around outside, personally. I don't need to visit a busy beach, business or pool. I am interested in how busy Legoland hotel has been since it opened, because I would think both Universal and Disney must be watching that as well. It's all a tough guessing game right now.

The Legoland hotel is also only charging $169/night and there is a beach about 5 minutes away. That hotel is TINY in comparison to the DL hotels. The overhead to open that up is significantly less than it would be at, say, the GCH.

The Legoland hotel is also only charging $169/night and there is a beach about 5 minutes away. That hotel is TINY in comparison to the DL hotels. The overhead to open that up is significantly less than it would be at, say, the GCH.

Good point. There’s a lot more to do within a 5 mile radius of the Legoland Hotel vs. Anaheim right now. Including outdoor dining with a view of the beach.

We were last there in Feb, but missed our Mar/Apr visits and 'feeling it'.

We would be fine with a hotel staycation with DTD take away food to hotel for a day or two. I seriously can't fathom cheaper to operate at even 25% capacity and $200/night than completely shutdown. The spend on merch and food alone will support DTD that much more and move us along the path. That's what they did at Disney Shanghai for several weeks prior to the land opening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter