Disneyland in 1958

WebmasterDoc

Administrator
Administrator
The summer before I turned 11, my father had saved up a lot of vacation time and our family took a cross-country trip from upstate New York to California. During the trip we stopped at Niagara Falls, Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, Grand Teton National Park, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Redwood Forest, San Francisco and a number of other areas (including Knott's Berry Farm ) - but the highlight was our day at Disneyland.

I have moved a number of times since that trip in 1958 and have stored/packed/moved a number of items with each move. This summer we moved twice and while working on a project on the DVC Forums here on the DIS, I came across some treasures from years gone by.

Ever since that trip in 1958, I have displayed a map of Disneyland from that trip. It is now in our home in SC. It shows all of the attractions open at that time, plus several Future "Developments" (yes, that is what they were called on the 1958 map). The "Future Developments" included:
Main Street:
Edison Square
Liberty Square
Tomorrowland:
Submarine Ride
Adventures in Science
Frontierland:
New Orleans Square - an area which would include:
Thieves Market
Wax Museum
Haunted House (yes, that is what the map says)

Attractions current at that time were the Diorama during the DL Train ride, Rainbow Bridge Pack Mules, Rainbow Mt. Stagecoaches and Rainbow Caverns Mine Train, Mark Twain Riverboat, Columbia, Tom Sawyer's Island, Keel Boats, Conestoga Wagons, War Canoes (in Frontierland); Tomorrowland's World Clock, Monsanto's House of the Future, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea Exhibit (movie sets), Circarama, ; Adventureland's Jungle Cruise (surprise, surprise); Fantasyland's Pirate Ship (Chicken-of-the-Sea Restaurant), Dumbo, Art Corner, Snow White Adventures, Mickey Mouse Club Theater, Peter Pan Flight, Alice In Wonderland Ride, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Story Book Land Canal Boats, Casey Jr. Circus Train, Midget Autopia, Motor Boat Cruise.

DL-1958-2015.jpg

Here is another image of a similar map:
DL-1958-map.jpg

Awesome, thanks for sharing! Did you get to see/meet Walt?
Sadly, I did not get to see him - but many kids during that time felt like we all "knew" him since he came to our living room every week on TV. That trip to Disneyland was truly magical and while I have been back a number of times since, that trip remains my favorite.

My DW and I lived in So. CA in the early 70's and our oldest DD was born in CA so we had plenty of chance to enjoy DL and many other area opportunities at that time. Lots of great memories! :)

Wow! That's a treasure! I love how it shows the short lived 'fishing' attraction! It is so interesting to see how many things have changed, and it's amazing to see how many things are exactly the same!

What an amazing treasure! Luckily someone recognized it for the treasure it was to preserve it so well! Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

The map I have on the wall is ~30" x 45" including frame - but my recollection is that the map itself is within 1/4" of that size. It was mounted without a matte and takes up the entire frame.

Thanks for resurrecting this! :teeth:

This is the best thread. We just went to Disneyland with my parents, and my dad has not been since either 1957 or 1958. It’s crazy to think this is probably the guide my grandparents used when they took him. We rode jungle cruise last month, and he told me he remembered it. So neat!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter