• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Wish Was Disappointing

Lots of folks here still like the Magic-class ships best. I see no problem with putting Vibe up top.

And no, thanks to that ship. Not my style. To each his own, I guess.

Ya okay...

My point is not the ship the spa which there are various great spas on ships.

Nothing wrong with the magic it's just old, it's smaller, and it doesn't have the better design/flow/options of today.

Part of why so many like the Magic as well is because Disney hasn't done anything amazing with its new ships.

It's like saying we should stop at the innovation of jungle cruise for a water ride.

After reading about all that is wrong with the Wish, it sounds like the next ship needs the following:
Ship needs to be larger to include everything people want, but feel like a smaller ship. Must look like the older ships. Adult area needs to be at least half a deck with a full size pool at least 5 ft deep and also be situated so no children can enter. Other half of deck can be adult bar area and bar/clubs need to double or triple in size. Family area needs a full size pool and several smaller pools. Need duplicate deck 11 food counters to cut down on lines. Need a running/walking deck exclusively for that purpose. Staterooms need to be larger and include at least 8 drawers in a cabinet area. In rooms cooler must be a real fridge with a freezer. The spa needs to enlarge to contain multiple private rooms and all areas must have an ocean view. The ship needs to contain high tech elements but still look/feel like older ships. Castaway Cay needs to add a couple hundred cabanas and beach area to accommodate them but not change the look of the island.
Shops need to be enlarged and high end shops decreased. Hallways must be in a continuous loop.
So, what did I miss?

Last edited:
Oh please.....

Have you looked at any other cruise ship from any other major brand in the world?

What is the WOW factor of the Wish? What is the draw of the Wish compared to other cruise ships?

The answer is: some new art, a couple new shows, and bringing a themed dinner like the Magic/Wonder to the larger ships like Wish.

Actually no the big "wow" is the spa which doesn't even have sea views but has this huge space that used to be taken up by the teens club which was not shoved to the top deck.

The "wow" factor is definitely not the spa. They need to fix a couple of things before its a wow factor. I know in the beginning it looked like it was going to be amazing especially with a tangled them salon. But you can literally get the same service at hook's for cheaper. Overall spa needs to actually care about customer service. Instead they don't care because of the hype demand and they know that your business can be replaced by another person waiting for any type of service to be available. In addition, the spa is a third party service that dcl contacted.

For earlier sailings if you pre-booked any types of special suites it didn't transmit into the spa computers. So you were technically getting ripped off and they didn't mention it either. Citing computer glitch etc. The senses spa manger was aware of the issue but didn't do anything proactive to fix it to prevent other customers from getting ripped off. Only worked with the guests that noticed the issue.

Also I'm not a fan of them not presenting a receipt so you know what you are officially getting charged. I didn't do any nail services, had to cancel a nail service so I could do palo brunch. But someone said after their nails were done they didn't get a receipt and that's their new practice. Like I would be like no I need a receipt I need to know how much I'm being charged with and if you adjusted anything. I found at times they failed to add the Disney visa discount on port days.

Untangled and Hook's aren't part of the spa on the Wish, though. They're separate so that kids can get haircuts, too. I guess they're probably still managed by the spa team, but I wasn't thinking about them when I mentioned the spa.

The spa on the Wish is the fitness center, the massage rooms, and the large new outdoor space that looks really great. Mostly the new outdoor space!

Untangled and Hook's aren't part of the spa on the Wish, though. They're separate so that kids can get haircuts, too. I guess they're probably still managed by the spa team, but I wasn't thinking about them when I mentioned the spa.

The spa on the Wish is the fitness center, the massage rooms, and the large new outdoor space that looks really great. Mostly the new outdoor space!

Hook's Barbery, where they specialize in Gentleman's shaves and Bourbon drinks, exists so that KIDS can get haircuts? What?

After reading about all that is wrong with the Wish, it sounds like the next ship needs the following:
Ship needs to be larger to include everything people want, but feel like a smaller ship. Must look like the older ships. Adult area needs to be at least half a deck with a full size pool at least 5 ft deep and also be situated so no children can enter. Other half of deck can be adult bar area and bar/clubs need to double or triple in size. Family area needs a full size pool and several smaller pools. Need duplicate deck 11 food counters to cut down on lines. Need a running/walking deck exclusively for that purpose. Staterooms need to be larger and include at least 8 drawers in a cabinet area. In rooms cooler must be a real fridge with a freezer. The spa needs to enlarge to contain multiple private rooms and all areas must have an ocean view. The ship needs to contain high tech elements but still look/feel like older ships. Castaway Cay needs to add a couple hundred cabanas and beach area to accommodate them but not change the look of the island.
There needs to be high tech elements but still feel like older ships. Shops need to be enlarged and high end shops decreased. Hallways must be in a continuous loop.
So, what did I miss?
Never have I ever seen someone sum up a thread so effectively. Bravo 🤣

It all boils down to this. Is the Disney Wish worth the $1000 premium AND 1 night LESS then the Disney Dream?

I understand the argument of trying something new, especially Disney and I do that too. But objectively if I’m being charged that premium (which, let’s face it, the older ships are already being priced premium) you bet I expect a substantially elevated experience. So smaller pools, dead ends, less elevators are fair game for scrutinizing. Details are what Disney is known for. And these are pretty basic details they missed. They dropped the ball on this one. And they should be called out instead of defended so they know we noticed and it makes a difference. Just as they are praised when they do a great job with the little details ( It has a hidden Mickey, I love it! The bed runner has the Wish logo engraved on it!).

Ya okay...

My point is not the ship the spa which there are various great spas on ships.

Nothing wrong with the magic it's just old, it's smaller, and it doesn't have the better design/flow/options of today.

Part of why so many like the Magic as well is because Disney hasn't done anything amazing with its new ships.

It's like saying we should stop at the innovation of jungle cruise for a water ride.
I love the classic ships. The reason is fewer people. I don't like the floating cities that some lines offer. The design works for me. The spa works for me. I don't need "amazing" to make my cruise. What works for some does not necessarily work for others.

Oh please.....

Have you looked at any other cruise ship from any other major brand in the world?

What is the WOW factor of the Wish? What is the draw of the Wish compared to other cruise ships?

The answer is: some new art, a couple new shows, and bringing a themed dinner like the Magic/Wonder to the larger ships like Wish.

Actually no the big "wow" is the spa which doesn't even have sea views but has this huge space that used to be taken up by the teens club which was not shoved to the top deck.
I assume a 10-deck water slide or a go-kart track topside or a km-long LED ceiling are the going rate of the "wow" factor? If I was smart, I would hit my local mall and save a whole bunch on these tricks.

It all boils down to this. Is the Disney Wish worth the $1000 premium AND 1 night LESS then the Disney Dream?

I understand the argument of trying something new, especially Disney and I do that too. But objectively if I’m being charged that premium (which, let’s face it, the older ships are already being priced premium) you bet I expect a substantially elevated experience. So smaller pools, dead ends, less elevators are fair game for scrutinizing. Details are what Disney is known for. And these are pretty basic details they missed. They dropped the ball on this one. And they should be called out instead of defended so they know we noticed and it makes a difference. Just as they are praised when they do a great job with the little details ( It has a hidden Mickey, I love it! The bed runner has the Wish logo engraved on it!).
Agree 100%. I was really hopeful about the Wish and looking forward to sailing her until I learned more about the design of the ship. It isn't about not wanting to try something new, it's about not wanting to waste money on something less pleasing. If the Wish had the same design quality and attention to detail as the other ships, that would be great, but that doesn't seem to be the case, at least not for non-concierge cruisers who value adult spaces, pools, easy navigation, more subtle theming, etc.

Last edited:
Agree 100%. I was really hopeful about the Wish and looking forward to sailing her until I learned more about the design of the ship. It isn't about not wanting to try something new, it's about not wanting to waste money on something less pleasing. If the Wish had the same design quality and attention to detail as the other ships, that would be great, but that is clearly not the case, at least not for non-concierge cruisers who value adult spaces, pools, easy navigation, more subtle theming, etc.
You have not sailed on the disney wish. This is an opinion not a fact and should be presented as such.

Shops need to be enlarged and high end shops decreased. Hallways must be in a continuous loop.
So, what did I miss?
You forgot that each stateroom needs a dedicated elevator that follows them around to different floors and waits. Wait, people from the same room might be on different floors. Better make it 1 elevator per person.

I watched The Dis review of the ship last night and they actually liked it, overall. They had some critiques, but Pete said he wanted to go back, which made me feel better about our cruise next spring. :) I think a lot of wrinkles will be ironed out over the coming months. Should they have been ironed out before now at these prices? Yes. But I'm not looking at that as a reason to ditch the ship for infinity and beyond.

You forgot that each stateroom needs a dedicated elevator that follows them around to different floors and waits. Wait, people from the same room might be on different floors. Better make it 1 elevator per person.
that's Hogwarts, not a ship

I'm on Wish at the end of the month, I'll decide then.

I got off the Wish August 1st. It was our second Disney cruise and we loved the ship! We have no kids and in our early 30s. The only complaint I had was that they almost lost my luggage. In the end I was able to find it at guest services and they gave us a Rose bottle for our troubles. Awesome food and great service all around.

I watched The Dis review of the ship last night and they actually liked it, overall. They had some critiques, but Pete said he wanted to go back, which made me feel better about our cruise next spring. :) I think a lot of wrinkles will be ironed out over the coming months. Should they have been ironed out before now at these prices? Yes. But I'm not looking at that as a reason to ditch the ship for infinity and beyond.

I thought it was telling that Pete's positive opinions were largely on upcharge experiences (Enchante excluded)

I'd really like Pete to stay in a non concierge cabin and NOT pay for the spa or any specialty dining and THEN give his opinion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter