Disney to eliminate plastic straws, hotel in-room plastics and plastic shopping bags

You know that picture is probably bottles recycled in the US or Europe and sent to China for processing. Recycling is dirty. It is estimated that over 20 tons of recycled plastic makes it to the ocean on the way to China every year. That is why the saying is reduce, reuse, recycle. Recycling is a last ditch effort. You should always reduce or reuse first.

China has recently decided they no longer want to be the recycling post processor for the world. Plastic and paper is headed to land fills now instead of post processing. The world is waiting for India, Malaysia, Vietnam, etc to decide they are desperate enough for the money that they will take on the dirty task of post processing.

It's from Bulgaria:
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2009-...-dam-which-is-filled-with/1125182?pfmredir=sm

I chose it because that is not an isolated problem. There's lots of information/studies/documentaries out there on the issue of plastic in the ocean and in landfills. It's killing wildlife at an alarming rate. The Great Pacific Garbage Patch is another example. End point: not a recycling plant, and not what anyplace should look like.

I agree with you- there needs to be a massive shift in how we consume and reuse. I just kind of think it's too late. People were raising red flags on this a long time ago.

So no straws at all? They better provide some kind of alternative because I won't drink cold beverages without one.
So now we have to purchase shopping bags? They better offer free paper bags because I won't purchase a bag nor will I bring one with me so apparently I won't be spending my money in the stores unless I purchase something and have it sent to the resort or purchase something at my resort.
So no throw away cups in the rooms? They better offer something better than glasses since we all know they don't get cleaned or if they do its with glass cleaner with the rag they just wiped the mirror with.
I'm not against changes but the alternatives need to be just as convenient and sanitary for the guests.
We were in a town on Long Island last week, bags were 5 cents each. My reusable ones were at home, so we just paid for them and brought them with us the rest of the week. I think NJ is going bag free soon anyway.

So no straws at all? They better provide some kind of alternative because I won't drink cold beverages without one.
So now we have to purchase shopping bags? They better offer free paper bags because I won't purchase a bag nor will I bring one with me so apparently I won't be spending my money in the stores unless I purchase something and have it sent to the resort or purchase something at my resort.
So no throw away cups in the rooms? They better offer something better than glasses since we all know they don't get cleaned or if they do its with glass cleaner with the rag they just wiped the mirror with.
I'm not against changes but the alternatives need to be just as convenient and sanitary for the guests.

"They better"...or what?

You won't go? You won't buy drinks or items from shops?

I don't think the number of people who will skip Disney, or cold drinks, or buying a souvenir because of these changes will be enough to make much of a difference.

As much as a recycling junkie as I am, I'm inclined to agree that this incentive might have backfirings here and there.

I'm sure they can just convert to paper cups with no issue. I don't have a problem with paper straws, I just wish there was some eco-friendly solution to lids though. I don't like carrying around a drink fully exposed without some sort of protection from bugs or getting spilled and the like.

They're also going to have to strongly consider refillable mugs for use in the parks as another possible alternative.

They could also provide a reusable bag in your resort room upon check in and you just pay the $5 it's worth if you decide to take the bag home with you.

Years ago at POR I bought a cute foldaway tote bag that went in to its own pouch about the size of a deck of cards. I will have to find it before my next trip since it will be perfect to use while there. I'd even buy a bunch more.
I don't mind the no plastic bags, we end up acquiring so many through out our trip it is such a waste.
I'm not sure if they are going with no straws at all, or if they are going to be using paper but neither of those options appeal to me.
I don't think I have ever used the plastic cups in the hotel room for anything because we usually buy a case of water bottles.

As much as a recycling junkie as I am, I'm inclined to agree that this incentive might have backfirings here and there.

I'm sure they can just convert to paper cups with no issue. I don't have a problem with paper straws, I just wish there was some eco-friendly solution to lids though. I don't like carrying around a drink fully exposed without some sort of protection from bugs or getting spilled and the like.

They're also going to have to strongly consider refillable mugs for use in the parks as another possible alternative.

They could also provide a reusable bag in your resort room upon check in and you just pay the $5 it's worth if you decide to take the bag home with you.

They already offer refillable mugs. Hopefully they will offer different form factors if you want a smaller one that is more portable.

There are plenty of solutions that already exists once this policy goes into effect. There are companies that make hiking cups that totally collapse and fit in your pocket for example.

Non-disposable straws were used extensively by invalids in the 19th century.

So glad we are going back in time on that level.

Good grief.

I think they raised some legitimate concerns. There is nothing wrong with wanting things to be sanitary, whether reusable or not.

A lot of people carry the bare minimum into the parks, and some go with nothing more than a magic band. Now they will have to carry their own shopping bags, their own straws if they don’t like paper ones (and some have even floated the idea that everyone could end up having to carry their own cups eventually) and possibly their own coffee stirrers. No more going light and bag free to the parks. The small purse I carry when I do carry a bag doesn’t have any space left to accommodate reusable bags. When I go bagless, my wallet and phone fill my pockets, so no bag room there either. Most reusable bags I have seen are not waterproof, so I would need to bring a few PLASTIC bags to seal things in during our daily thunderstorms, which seems to defeat the purpose of getting rid of plastic shopping bags.

I miss the individual toiletries. I won’t use toiletries that can’t be sanitized between users, and there’s no way to do that to communal pump bottles. So that means risking a blowout in my suitcase of my own products unless I use a PLASTIC bag to seal the bottles in before packing.

Personally I agree with not using glass glasses left in the hotel room. There have been one too many news stories about housekeepers wiping down everything in the bathroom and then using the same cloth to shine up the glasses. Heck, I have been in my room at Disney and seen them handle the glasses with the same rubber gloves on their hands they had on when they cleaned the toilet. However, I do travel with my own glass mug to use in the room (which is sealed in a PLASTIC bag when not in use to prevent contamination). But I won’t be bringing straws (or the PLASTIC bag I would need to put it in between uses) to the park, or carrying my glass mug with me to the parks for drinks. Paper is a viable alternative, but the palmetto bugs here are attracted to paper products which is not something you want in food establishments where it’s already difficult to keep them at bay. I usually carry a bottle of water with me when I head out to the park. Maybe I can find a way to refill it (not at water fountains though, after my sister go mono from a drinking fountain we don’t use them). I will need to bring big PLASTIC bags to put snacks in, since I won’t get the plastic shopping bags I could put a bag clip on - otherwise we will be attracting bugs to the room.

Sounds like I will be using a lot more big Ziplock bags, so I better go buy a box to stick in the suitcase . . .

Non-disposable straws were used extensively by invalids in the 19th century.

So glad we are going back in time on that level.

Some of the earliest drinking straws from ancient Sumerian cities were made of gold and expensive stones. Not sure what your point is.

They already offer refillable mugs. Hopefully they will offer different form factors if you want a smaller one that is more portable.

There are plenty of solutions that already exists once this policy goes into effect. There are companies that make hiking cups that totally collapse and fit in your pocket for example.
Refillable mugs are not offered in the parks.

While in Florida, we once attended a guest lecture series at a marine research facility on microplastics & the ocean, &, through various eco-tours, we've seen the damage that plastics can do to marine life such as sea turtles.

So I get it.

However, I don't see myself ever wanting to use refillable toiletries at a hotel. I mean, I guess it would be like using a public soap dispenser in a public restroom, but the difference is my hotel bathroom should be cleaner & more "personal use" (instead of "communal use") than a public restroom.

I would hope they would offer paper bags as an alternative to purchasing a reusable bag... or maybe some kind of incentive - purchase at least $25 of merchandise & get a free reusable bag.

I get that it's not very environmentaly of me, but for me, I'll be annoyed. It's really going to inconvenience us and make things a lot harder when trying to travel through parks/resorts with drinks and with younger kids...argh the spills blah. Honestly, I'd look into bringing my own lids/straws if they'll fit.

Couldn't you just use paper straws, like at Animal Kingdom? I'm sure Disney will be providing those, versus eliminating straws entirely.

For that matter... how do you manage at Animal Kingdom? They've never had straws, AFAIK.

Isn't soap self cleaning? what would need to be sanitized? I am not a germaphobe, so the refillable shampoo and body wash is fine with me. It is in fact preferable to the tiny bottles, imo, and I have seen it in use in several places over the last few years. It saves so much money and waste. I would never use a glass in a hotel though, and I think drinks you buy to carry around need a lid. Paper straws are fine with me.

https://www.amazon.com/Food-Grade-D...662&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=foldable+straw&th=1

51L9kOVNf8L._SX522_.jpg

Isn't soap self cleaning? what would need to be sanitized? I am not a germaphobe, so the refillable shampoo and body wash is fine with me. It is in fact preferable to the tiny bottles, imo, and I have seen it in use in several places over the last few years. It saves so much money and waste. I would never use a glass in a hotel though, and I think drinks you buy to carry around need a lid. Paper straws are fine with me.

I never understood the push back either. I just got back from a conference and my hotel had wall mounted dispensers of shampoo, conditioner, and body wash. It was a complete non-issue.

I think you're missing the point of reusable?

But she wouldn't be using anything in the first place, her purchases are going back to the resort. She will not be carrying them around the park so she won't have a bag to reuse for other purchases.
While I think her concern is valid, I'm betting that Disney will have some sort of paper option for those kinds of purchases. I doubt they would make someone purchase a reusable bag for that purpose.

When I did the aqua seas tour they had showers with the wall dispensers for shampoo and conditioner and they really aren't a big deal. I don't really see how they could be unsanitary, you are in the shower cleaning yourself. Is there any difference between sharing a bottle of shampoo with your family members?
I hope they use them and use the same product (it was not the H2O stuff) because I really liked it and would skip bring my own stuff if they did. It would leave me more room in my suitcase for my cup and straw I'll have to start bringing :laughing:

"They better"...or what?

You won't go? You won't buy drinks or items from shops?

I don't think the number of people who will skip Disney, or cold drinks, or buying a souvenir because of these changes will be enough to make much of a difference.
I bet there will be more ppl upset than you think especially those with little kids who are caught off guard. The average person doesn’t keep up with Disney news & info. Like a pp said, I feel sorry for the CMs!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter