Disney to eliminate plastic straws, hotel in-room plastics and plastic shopping bags

Yay Disney! I'm glad we're seeing more of this, but it is probably 50 years too late.

View attachment 339645
You know that picture is probably bottles recycled in the US or Europe and sent to China for processing. Recycling is dirty. It is estimated that over 20 tons of recycled plastic makes it to the ocean on the way to China every year. That is why the saying is reduce, reuse, recycle. Recycling is a last ditch effort. You should always reduce or reuse first.

China has recently decided they no longer want to be the recycling post processor for the world. Plastic and paper is headed to land fills now instead of post processing. The world is waiting for India, Malaysia, Vietnam, etc to decide they are desperate enough for the money that they will take on the dirty task of post processing.

This comes on the same day they announce their newest sponsor Ziploc will be handing out a free, first come, first served plastic bag at Splash Mountain. So plastic is all good as long as Disney profits from it. :rotfl:

I received a notification about getting rid of the straws/bags at almost the same time as the ziploc notification; I agree - think it seems a bit strange timing wise and sends a conflicting message.

I find we have finally gotten to the point where we do a good job to remember bringing reusable bags to the grocery store and I have some great ones that crumple up super small so they are easy to take anywhere. Straws - I don't have much of a preference whether I use one or not so I'd just as soon support places that are getting rid of them/using alternative materials.

I hope they start selling super cute reusable straws we can use. I am a straw girl. I have a large collection of reusuable straws in my home. The bag thing doesn't bother me. I have lots of reusuable bags.

So no straws at all? They better provide some kind of alternative because I won't drink cold beverages without one.
So now we have to purchase shopping bags? They better offer free paper bags because I won't purchase a bag nor will I bring one with me so apparently I won't be spending my money in the stores unless I purchase something and have it sent to the resort or purchase something at my resort.
So no throw away cups in the rooms? They better offer something better than glasses since we all know they don't get cleaned or if they do its with glass cleaner with the rag they just wiped the mirror with.
I'm not against changes but the alternatives need to be just as convenient and sanitary for the guests.

There will now be an additional $10 charge for that reusable bag. :rotfl: Or a $5 charge for a paper bag which will immediately decompose & disintegrate in the Florida rain.

Yay Disney. I'm impressed. I wish I had saved more of those old bags I got through the years, I could have taken them back and reused them.

I'll be the naysayer. I hate this crusade against straws because I really don't enjoy cold drinks without one, and I read "no more plastic bags" as a hard-upsell of reusable bags which are, in my experience, usually not good for more than a couple of uses before they fall apart anyway. Which isn't so bad when it is a 99¢ bag from the grocer but we all know Disney's bags aren't going to come at "real world" prices.

I do like the end of single-use plastic toiletry bottles because I always hate how many of those we go through with 3-4 girls/women in our travel party, but the rest not so much.

I think the deal with Ziploc is based on the fact that guests bring their own ziplocs into the park all of the time. Every "What to bring to Disney" list or tip or post or video seems to include Ziploc bags. So Disney's now going to hand one out to you instead.

I don't think them handing out Ziplocs erases the rest of what they're doing, especially if people get more than one use out of the bag (Which I figure they will if possible, if they are Disney branded.) I'd stick my camera in it, because that's what I do now with the Ziploc bags I bring from home. :) And I'd use it again on any other water-based ride I went on. And if it was cute, I'd dry it off, and put some of my trip notes, trinkets, etc. in it when I headed home.

And in all fairness, I used to do the same with one or two of the plastic shopping bags, BUT, just 1 or 2. The rest I had no use for. So, now when I go to the park I'll happily drink without a straw, bring a small cloth bag with me for trinkets, and use soap that doesn't come in a tiny travel size bottle. And when I go on a water ride, I'll just have the option to use a Ziploc bag from WDW instead of one from home. :)

So no straws at all? They better provide some kind of alternative because I won't drink cold beverages without one.
So now we have to purchase shopping bags? They better offer free paper bags because I won't purchase a bag nor will I bring one with me so apparently I won't be spending my money in the stores unless I purchase something and have it sent to the resort or purchase something at my resort.
So no throw away cups in the rooms? They better offer something better than glasses since we all know they don't get cleaned or if they do its with glass cleaner with the rag they just wiped the mirror with.
I'm not against changes but the alternatives need to be just as convenient and sanitary for the guests.
Respectfully, if the alternatives provided don’t appeal to your preferences then it’s up to you to provide your preferred alternative to the alternative.

There will now be an additional $10 charge for that reusable bag. :rotfl: Or a $5 charge for a paper bag which will immediately decompose & disintegrate in the Florida rain.
Tokyo Disney offers reusable bags for sale priced $5 for small and $10 for large. They give away single use bags with purchases as well, but we opted to buy the reusables. They were Disney themed and plastic/vinyl, but surprisingly good quality with snap and zipper closures and they held an obscene amount of merchandise — they were huge! Having one or two of those were much more convenient for our traveling and packing needs than 75 single use bags would’ve been. We plan to use them for future WDW trips.

https://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/wa...n-room-plastics-and-plastic-shopping-bags.htm

My apologies if this is old news. I haven't been around much lately, so I may have missed a previous discussion on this.

I'm curious to know what you all think!

I'm assuming this means paper straws, like they have in Animal Kingdom, and reuseable cloth bags.
I get that it's not very environmentaly of me, but for me, I'll be annoyed. It's really going to inconvenience us and make things a lot harder when trying to travel through parks/resorts with drinks and with younger kids...argh the spills blah. Honestly, I'd look into bringing my own lids/straws if they'll fit.

So, no more bringing home bottles of shampoo with the cute Disney logo to use when we travel other places :( I also used to give them to kids at school.

The reusable bags - seems great for home, when you haul stuff on a regular basis, like the grocery store. But spontaneous shopping (like on vacation) people are going to be pissed to have to buy a bag to put their stuff in. I feel sorry for the poor CMs who will have to deal with unhappy guests.

I have no issues with any of this. I have lived in places that don't have plastic bags for years now and it's fine. I either remember my reusable bags, pay for a bag, or carry my stuff in my cart/arms. I have reusable straws at home, car, and work and a straw pipe-cleaner like thing to keep everything clean, I love straws so this works for me. No issue with multi-use toiletries.

I do think the reusable bag thing at WDW/DL is a bit different though, I really don't see myself carrying my reusable bags with me to Disney. I guess I will just buy less stuff I probably didn't need anyway. I also feel for the CMs if this is implemented poorly.

Are the reusable bags going to be waterproof? Or are your purchases going to get wet?

Good grief.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter