Disney to eliminate plastic straws, hotel in-room plastics and plastic shopping bags

It would be nice to have a more accurate time when this is going to happen. I'm spending a day shopping at DS in September, and would like to know whether I need to bring my own bag or not.

It would be nice to have a more accurate time when this is going to happen. I'm spending a day shopping at DS in September, and would like to know whether I need to bring my own bag or not.

Good point! We'll be there in early December.

I think it's a good thing. I'm not a huge fan of paper straws but I'll get used to it .
The bag thing seems to be happening more and more. I used to never remember my reusable bags but now that I actually need them in some stores, I am remembering them. It's a good thing. We always seem to end up with a ridiculous amount of those blue plastic Disney bags. Reducing them will be a good thing.

It probably depends on how quickly they use up their existing supply of plastic bags. I think it will be fun to have a reusable Disney bag for grocery shopping, and whatever else.

Good move on Disney's part! I usually have straws with me, so that won't affect us anyway. I wouldn't use refillable/communal toiletries, but I always bring my own so that doesn't matter to me either. And as long as they have paper bags or something for a nominal fee, I am good!

Love this idea, and hope it keeps spreading to more and more businesses. Help the planet!

I like the idea of purchasing reusable Disney bags, I have had issues with color bleed and thus purple/blue hands when the current ones get wet (looking at you, Florida rain). As far as straws, as long as I have some sort of straw option, I'm good. Total "first world problem" but I don't like messing up my lipstick without one. Yes, I am that person ;). The shampoo thing doesn't bother me. It isn't that great anyway.

I can remember the early WDW paper bags. I hate paper straws, though. I'd rather drink out of the cup.

I have a set of stainless steel straws that I carry around with me for our family. They're dishwasher safe and inexpensive (I think I paid $10 for 10 of them), and better than drinking out of a paper straw.

I'm all for this. I also wish all states would ban disposable plastic shopping bags like Hawaii did.

I love the idea. Question though, and this maybe a silly one - Where do we put our purchases when we buy something in the parks? Are they going to sell reusable bags?

I don't mind as long as there is still some sort of lid and straw available. Personally, I never use straws simply because I prefer to drink straight from the cup/glass, but lids and straws are almost a necessity with little kids. As for the bags, if you're staying on property you can have your purchases sent to your hotel. Many people have a stroller, ECV, or carry some sort of backpack around the parks anyway, so a lot of people would already have a place to store their purchases. If they are selling reasonably priced reusable bags, I think that is a fair alternative for those that need a bag, or you can bring your own. Lots of them can be folded or rolled pretty small until you need to use them.

With the shampoos and stuff, I don't personally see it much differently than using the soap in any public restroom, the communal hand sanitizer at many places, etc. Actually, having a large container can be beneficial as I won't have to worry about running out and not realizing until mid-shower that housekeeping forgot to leave more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter