Disney to eliminate plastic straws, hotel in-room plastics and plastic shopping bags

To people who didn't bother to use the latch. Which takes less than a second to engage. And I wouldn't call it "quite a few".
We went in May, first time since the change and we were interrupted many times throughout our trip for "room checks." It was annoying and def. had a negative impact on our trip. I tried arranging a time of no interruptions during our afternoon naps ahead of time, but the CM said they couldn't do that as it was random and she said "doesn't happen often." It happened a good amount to us (our party consisted of me, a mom and 3 kids.)

As far as the latch, that only works when all ppl. are in the room. If someone left for something or to hang at the pool while others slept, the latch thing really doesn't work.

Disney is. not. eliminating. straws. They are eliminating plastic straws.
What makes you say that? All the info. I saw, didn't say anything about them providing a different type of straw/lid, just that they were getting rid of them. Also, it appears that there are no lids at AK, so without a statement of them providing an alternate, right now it looks like at best they may offer paper straws, no lids or perhaps nothing at all.

I'd love it if there were actual info out there stating they would be providing an alternative, I just haven't seen it, but your post makes it sound as fact...is it?

As far as the latch, that only works when all ppl. are in the room. If someone left for something or to hang at the pool while others slept, the latch thing really doesn't work.

It works with a little planning. I'm not saying it isn't a hassle, but there are ways to make it work.

What makes you say that? All the info. I saw, didn't say anything about them providing a different type of straw/lid, just that they were getting rid of them. Also, it appears that there are no lids at AK, so without a statement of them providing an alternate, right now it looks like at best they may offer paper straws, no lids or perhaps nothing at all.

I'd love it if there were actual info out there stating they would be providing an alternative, I just haven't seen it, but your post makes it sound as fact...is it?

No one has heard either way. So posting that they won't offer an alternative is not a fact either. Not saying you did that, but others have.

I agree- when I go to the parks I just bring me, my magic band, cell phone in my pocket and money in my pocket- I don't like to be carrying around a bunch of crap in the parks

Ditto. Even my AP sort of annoys me once in a while because I've reached an age where I'm not usually carded for drinks, and I'd really like to not even bother with my wallet at all - just me and my MB. But I have to at least carry the AP & my ID for the discount.

Right.

It's not just that the straws are made out of plastic... it's how dangerous they are to wildlife in their plastic form.

Like the plastic rings that connect 6 packs of drinks - those are extremely dangerous to wildlife as well.

And, in the ocean, a floating plastic bag looks like a jellyfish to a sea turtle.

And yet, two out of the three of those are still ubiqitous. I love seeing people in the Starbucks at our local Meijer, praising the straw ban while they sip iced tea through a flavored straw (which are individually wrapped in plastic) on the way to load 20 double-bagged plastic sacks of groceries and a couple of 8-packs of soda held together by those plastic rings into the car. It is virtue signaling, not meaningful environmentalism.

Just pondering here, but they could go to the refillable mug system that Universal has. With the refill stations actually in the parks.

I have never had a mug from Disney but Universal’s has a lid and plastic straw attached. So nothing to throw away at all. Of course you can’t require everyone to buy one but the mugs they have are pretty popular it seems.

That would be a great solution. I don't see it happening, because it would cut down on their ability to sell us all several $3+ drinks each and every day, but it would be a meaningful reduction in plastic and in waste overall.

I wouldn’t even use a straw for a refillable mug so that’s a good idea in the parks. Only thing would be at table service restaurants they wouldn’t likely fill them for sanitary reasons.

But at table service restaurants you're not walking around with your drink and you can request no ice without having to settle for a lukewarm drink because you're in an air conditioned space. So there are less reasons to prefer a straw and the lid that makes one necessary when sitting down for a meal.

Of course, the down side is that you're still hauling a drippy, sticky mug around all day (or, for a lot of moms, a whole family's worth).

So are many plastics yet we still have a problem with them polluting the ocean and filling up landfills. Forgive me if I don't feel a warm fuzzy about them since I doubt the majority of them will actually be recycled. Biodegradable would be the way to go.
Last I read biodegradable is what Starbucks is moving towards. It's the whole Rome wasn't built in a day thing.

I honestly doubt they’ll be an alternative b/c I think this is more of a cost-cutting strategy disguised as being eco-friendly. They will probably offer bags & reusable bags & straws for a fee but that’s it.

Last I read biodegradable is what Starbucks is moving towards. It's the whole Rome wasn't built in a day thing.

That is true Rome wasn't built in a day however I don't see any point in celebrating them when straws account for a very small portion of their products that end up in landfills, or oceans, or on the side of the road or wherever else you have noticed garbage laying around.
Disney and Starbucks certainly have the means to make the switch to biodegradable products but we all know it "takes time" because at this point it will hurt their bottom line. When they do something that will really makes a difference I'll feel differently about them, until then all I see is its all about the "green" bandwagon for them and the great PR which ends up being great for their bottom line.

So are many plastics yet we still have a problem with them polluting the ocean and filling up landfills. Forgive me if I don't feel a warm fuzzy about them since I doubt the majority of them will actually be recycled. Biodegradable would be the way to go.

And "recyclable" is only as good as the preparation. How many people are separating their recyclable plastic lid from their non-recyclable cup, rinsing the lid, and disposing of them both in the proper bins? Because if they aren't, that lid is just trash.

That is true Rome wasn't built in a day however I don't see any point in celebrating them when straws account for a very small portion of their products that end up in landfills, or oceans, or on the side of the road or wherever else you have noticed garbage laying around.
Disney and Starbucks certainly have the means to make the switch to biodegradable products but we all know it "takes time" because at this point it will hurt their bottom line. When they do something that will really makes a difference I'll feel differently about them, until then all I see is its all about the "green" bandwagon for them and the great PR which ends up being great for their bottom line.

Exactly. Mod Pizza has done it - all of their plastics, including straws and utensils, are biodegradable. Cost is the only reason Disney and Starbucks and McDs haven't. Just looking at retail prices on Amazon, the biodegradable straws are about twice the price of their conventional counterparts.

I"m kinda surprised at all the attention the plastic straw thing is causing. We grew up with cardboard-ish straws. Everywhere. At home, we used glass straws for our smoothies. Paper straws are wonderful and will be a great move for all businesses to make!

Just saw these on Pinterest:

https://www.thegrommet.com/dert-bag...mpaign=pd&utm_content=dert-bags&pmodal=1&pp=0

I think they should make Mickey (and other character) ones!

Cute, and I'm sure Disney would have no problem selling them to us for $20. You know, for the good of the environment :rolleyes1

They used too, or maybe even still do, have bags that fold up in their own pouch. I got one years ago when staying at POR in their store. They were maybe $2. I'm sure now since people will have buy a bag if they want to take their purchases out in something other than their hands, the price will be higher. Disney isn't going to let this opportunity to milk their guests go to waste.

I was at a restaurant today and at each table was a little sign saying that no longer offer plastic straws (they didn't have any straws at all). It also said they were a 2 star certified green restaurant. I'd never heard of rating restaurants on being green before - it's kind of cool.
http://www.dinegreen.com/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter