Disney Store Permanently Closed 2020

I still prefer the mall
When the malls started to close we would wander around and would dream about them being converted into Condominiums . We actually would love to live in favorite mall at the time... now I envision them being used as giant tent cities with giant RV parking lots for future survival ...

Disney Store near me was packed today. They were way over the posted pandemic capacity listed on the door. We spent too much money as usual.

I also think that why some of the Disney Stores might be closing is that Disney is secretly gonna to try to revive the old Disney Catalogues that people used to get in the mail in the 90's. But if Disney Stores are desperate to stay alive they should improve their image by focusing more on adults and teens not just children like infants and toddlers and have special events such as Disney celebrity meet and greets at Disney Store grand openings and have special days to honor the premieres of new Disney movies and craft projects where everyone could make a Disney themed craft project every weekend. I remember when Disney Stores would have Mickey And Minnie meet and greets sometimes in the 90's and they were fun. But if these ideas worked it would save Disney Stores from closure and give them a whole new image for everyone

I also think that why some of the Disney Stores might be closing is that Disney is secretly gonna to try to revive the old Disney Catalogues that people used to get in the mail in the 90's. But if Disney Stores are desperate to stay alive they should improve their image by focusing more on adults and teens not just children like infants and toddlers and have special events such as Disney celebrity meet and greets at Disney Store grand openings and have special days to honor the premieres of new Disney movies and craft projects where everyone could make a Disney themed craft project every weekend. I remember when Disney Stores would have Mickey And Minnie meet and greets sometimes in the 90's and they were fun. But if these ideas worked it would save Disney Stores from closure and give them a whole new image for everyone

the aren’t desperate to stay alive. They would rather close

Some store leases have an out if an anchor tenant leaves and isn't replaced. Sears, JC Penny's, Macy's etc are all closing stores. That reduces mall traffic and, in some cases, gives Disney an out.

I can see the mini stores in Target replacing many Disney stores
Yup. And some malls went out of business. I remember The Disney Store at The World Trade Center Mall. But sadly, That location closed because The World Trade Center was blown up on September 11, 2001 when two airplanes crashed into the World Trade Center twin towers in Manhattan.

Yup. And some malls went out of business. I remember The Disney Store at The World Trade Center Mall. But sadly, That location closed because The World Trade Center was blown up on September 11, 2001 when two airplanes crashed into the World Trade Center twin towers in Manhattan.

oh wow, who knew...

The reality of changing demographics. A topic of discussion around the dinner table last night concerning education, but touched as well on free time activity. From playing ball outside to now spending time on electronic gadgets like tablets. Means the imagination feeding toys of yesterday like Buzz Lightyear are gone forever. Plush toys have some small market perhaps. DVDs or movies of any format are gone. Halloween costumes have a small market. In all candor, what product would entice you back into a Disney store?
The answer from a personal perspective? Very little ... perhaps a polo shirt, my last purchase was 15 years ago and now it has holes and needs to be replaced. My kids now pay for their own trip down to WDW. And they don't shop at Disney stores either. Cannot run a business off of that!

(interesting side note, this web site does not recognize candor as a legitimate word!)

I don't think declining toy sales is the issue - anecdotally, it seems to me that the average child these days has a sea of toys that most 70's, 80's, and 90's kids couldn't have imagined. So many that parents get obsessed with Marie Kondo-ing their houses and playrooms. I think it's that toys are easier to buy online (a toy isn't a staple you need right away; you can find wider variety online; read reviews; compare prices, etc.) and also that Disney licenses their name to so many lines already, that what's left for them to make exclusively? You can buy Melissa & Doug Disney, Fisher Price Little People Disney, Duplo blocks Disney, Lego Disney... any Disney toy you could want is typically already made by someone else.

I think what did decline drastically as globalization and the internet happened was collectibles, and it seems likely that would have hurt Disney stores a fair bit. I remember having a shelf of proudly displayed Disney glass figurines in my room as a child, and my mom was very big into various "collectibles" lines. That's something that does seem to have gone by the wayside, I feel like I don't see people doing that anymore. The whole idea that you buy anything to keep for decades, much less generations, seems to have gone extinct with a very few rare exceptions. Now we have so many more material goods that the latest Instagram trend comes and goes in a matter of weeks. Seeing the Disney Store whittle away does make me sad, but in today's world, I just don't see how they could be more widespread than, say, M&M stores. It's a fun novelty concept maybe for a few bit cities but it's not like you have to go to the M&M store to buy M&Ms, or to the Disney store to buy Disney merchandise.

I feel that online shopping is becoming an evil in itself. They have too much unfair advantage over physical retail and it's destroying the social aspect of physical shopping. There seriously needs to be a renaissance in physical shopping, but the issue is that it needs to become more experiential and landlords need to stop rate gouging too. From what I've heard, Disney tends to give up when the landlords jack up unit rates to the point that they close a store. And I have concerns that online shopping will become an even worse experience as you'd then have to wrangle with returns and customer service if things go wrong, and with online shopping, a whole lot more can go wrong.

Another Disney Store is closing. Great Northern Mall in North Olmsted OH is closing for good. To many stores in the area of Columbus. Also, It’s the red head facade from when it had a deal with The Children’s Place.

Here are the Disney Store locations are effective and will be closing:
The US states:
Arizona: Chandler, Glendale, and Scottsdale.
California: Arcadia, Mission Viejo, Montclair, Montebello, Roseville, Salinas, San Diego (7007 Frair Road location only. 4321 Camino De La Plaza will remain open), and SAN Jose.
Colorado: Broomfield.
Florida: Miami (Only at 19575 Biscayne Boulevard), and Tampa.
Illinois: Rosemont.
Indiana*: Indianapolis, and Merriville
Kansas*: Overland Park
Maryland: Hanover
Missouri: St. Louis
New Jersey: Freehold
New York: Riverhead, and Staten Island.
Ohio: North Olmsted
Oregon: Portland
Pennsylvania: Plattsburgh, and Springfield
Tennessee: Knoxville,
Texas: El Paso, Houston (Memorial City and Willowbrook Mall only), Laredo, and SAN Antonio (all three locations).
The Canadian States:
Ontario: Mississauga
Key: * These states will no longer have a Disney Store on or before March 23, 2021.

And that leaves to 164 locations. Those locations that are listed contains this:561597

Last edited:
Well, that's the Hoosier State deprived of any Disney Store… Was planning a future vacation there because I wanted to find the real Hawkins.

Last edited:
Here are the Disney Store locations are effective and will be closing:
The US states:
Arizona: Chandler, Glendale, and Scottsdale.
California: Arcadia, Mission Viejo, Montclair, Montebello, Roseville, Salinas, San Diego (7007 Frair Road location only. 4321 Camino De La Plaza will remain open), and SAN Jose.
Colorado: Broomfield.
Florida: Miami (Only at 19575 Biscayne Boulevard), and Tampa.
Illinois: Rosemont.
Indiana*: Indianapolis, and Merriville
Kansas*: Overland Park
Maryland: Hanover
Missouri: St. Louis
New Jersey: Freehold
New York: Riverhead, and Staten Island.
Ohio: North Olmsted
Oregon: Portland
Pennsylvania: Plattsburgh, and Springfield
Tennessee: Knoxville,
Texas: El Paso, Houston (Memorial City and Willowbrook Mall only), Laredo, and SAN Antonio (all three locations).
The Canadian States:
Ontario: Mississauga
Key: * These states will no longer have a Disney Store on or before March 23, 2021.

And that leaves to 164 locations. Those locations that are listed contains this:View attachment 561597

Relieved that our store looks to be surviving yet another round of closures.

But this all really is so sad. I hate seeing these stores close. Not sure how long ours will stick around, but I’ll enjoy it while we have it.

Relieved that our store looks to be surviving yet another round of closures.

But this all really is so sad. I hate seeing these stores close. Not sure how long ours will stick around, but I’ll enjoy it while we have it.
Me too. But I hope we don’t see any more closures. The worst Disney Store location closure I can think of was The World Trade Center location. That was because on September 11, 2001, Two airplanes crashed into the World Trade Center twin towers. I feel sorry for the citizens of Manhattan. And yes, the employee was killed in the collapsed of the tower.

When will the tide turn against online shopping? When enough people complain about the damaged and/or lost packages? When enough people complain about malls dying? When enough people complain about the wrong size? Sooner or later, people will reap what they sow when there's no longer anywhere to go for shopping except online, and we'll all become hermits with hardly any social interaction. The ones who will suffer the most are CMs, who are now going to find themselves in a shrinking job market. Something needs to be done about online shopping before it's too late.

If your location is red, Then it's closing.
Blue means Regular.
Green means Baby Store.
Orange means Outlet Store.
Red means the location is soon to be closing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter