• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I know nothing about the system...is it possible that a CM accidentally did something to cause this? Somehow disabled one car? I’m just wondering if there is a possibility nothing is wrong with the system, that it was a simple error? In which case, the skyliner may be back online much sooner than expected. It works fine for seven months of testing, but six days into operation it fails? What are those odds? I’m leaning towards thinking it was a person - someone without enough training maybe - that caused the issue.

I know nothing about the system...is it possible that a CM accidentally did something to cause this? Somehow disabled one car? I’m just wondering if there is a possibility nothing is wrong with the system, that it was a simple error? In which case, the skyliner may be back online much sooner than expected. It works fine for seven months of testing, but six days into operation it fails? What are those odds? I’m leaning towards thinking it was a person - someone without enough training maybe - that caused the issue.
To my knowledge this was not CM caused.

Never know, they may have pushed the "would you like to stop the next cabin and let the rest pile into it?" button.

It' seems so weird this could even happen since they are all on the same moving cable. Curious to find out.

I was just thinking about that. The gondola itself doesn't move. It's just attached to the cable. Does it detach when it enters the station?

Am I correct in assuming that with no injuries there
I was just thinking about that. The gondola itself doesn't move. It's just attached to the cable. Does it detach when it enters the station?

**Speculation - Not based on fact**
From the one good photo we have all we can see is that blue crashed into yellow inside the station. You could get that effect by holding back blue and then letting it go, as if it caught the bottom of the cabin on something, swung back and then released to swing into yellow. It does not have to be (and probably was not) a cable issue.

From the one good photo we have all we can see is that blue crashed into yellow inside the station. You could get that effect by holding back blue and then letting it go, as if it caught the bottom of the cabin on something, swung back and then released to swing into yellow. It does not have to be (and probably was not) a cable issue.
I thought from the Twitter of a passenger in a yellow cabin, the teal did not move and yellows piled into it driven by the station drive wheels.

ah, the plot thickens

It wasn’t CM caused.

Yea I was kinda kidding about there being a button like that. :)

They come off the cable in the stations.

Well there yea go, step one of the issue.

Interesting thanks.

The way I'm understanding it from reading around is that the blue gondola had a "failure to launch." So, it couldn't/didn't latch on/connect properly to the outgoing "haul" cable. So, you may have movement from the blue gondola coming back and the yellow coming forward, or the blue just didn't move. The blue ain't going anywhere so you have the pile up. In other words, it seems it was a problem with dispatch not incoming.

I thought from the Twitter of a passenger in a yellow cabin, the teal did not move and yellows piled into it driven by the station drive wheels.

Is there a CM in the station dedicated to watching/controlling the incoming cabins?

In other words is it likely the time for one cabin (much less 3 cabins) to pile into each other is so fast you can't hit a "stop" button? Or are they all just so close at that point.

And even then, maybe a stop button still takes like 3 cars to actually stop.

This is from GymleaderPhil on WDWmagic

Here’s what I can confirm after speaking with a close source:

Shortly after the Skyliner stopped due to the incident at the station, a guest or someone else onboard with them in one of the vehicles called 911. The guest was patched through to Reedy Creek as they were claustrophobic, hyperventilating, and had a history of seizures in the past. The maintenance team that was dispatched to assess what happened was stopped from doing any work until the guest was emergency evacuated as a result of emergency services in the ride path. Reedy Creek had major challenges locating the specific Guest since the vehicle identification number is only printed on the side of each cabin - not on the bottom. The vehicle itself was in a position that obstructed the view of the number as well as the low light conditions. Reportedly the operators also do not have a system in place to determine how many guests are onboard or if the vehicle is occupied at all.

As a result of the delayed evacuation, other guests on board were overloading the emergency call button as well as the 911 operator if they had cell phones. My source is unsure how many other vehicles were evacuated by Reedy Creek, but I’m sure that each minute they were up there and seen doing so elicited more responses from other guests that may not have necessarily required it. People who were in no physical danger - just the many who were exhausted, hot, scared, hungry, needed a restroom, and some who did not speak English.

Once the maintenance team resolved the issue and deemed it safe to do so, they slowly cycled out the Skyliner as this is the most efficient way to get people off any ride.

From my source, it’s been a shared that the emergency kits on board some of the vehicles were previously opened or taken by guests earlier in the day who knew of their existence. Disney would have no way of knowing as It would be an operational nightmare to continuously check the contents of each vehicle throughout the day. They also would have had to come up with some way of locking them that did not impede proper usage. If the kits were not tampered with, they often did not have enough to supply the entire cabin.

The way I'm understanding it from reading around is that the blue gondola had a "failure to launch." So, it couldn't/didn't latch on/connect properly to the outgoing "haul" cable. So, you may have movement from the blue gondola coming back and the yellow coming forward, or the blue just didn't move. The blue ain't going anywhere so you have the pile up. In other words, it seems it was a problem with dispatch not incoming.

Yea if this happened when the are in that tight line, and the front one doesn't catch-there's a great chance they would pile up. But relatively low impact-except that first swinging back cabin.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter