Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Wow. I am very curious about the motive for this. It required some effort (and maybe some inside knowledge of the system?) to cut a 2-inch cable.
I'm guessing either took a hydraulic cutter of some type or a torch. Even if you had a good portable bandsaw it would take forever.

The saboteur would have had to hike along the gondola route and climb a maintenance pole to get in position to cut the cable — a dangerous undertaking.

“They put themselves in extreme jeopardy, not only the nature of the action of climbing up that pole and being in that position … but also the velocity at which the cable would unravel at that point,” she said.

If you have ever towed a car and had the rope/cable/chain break under tensions... you really would have been determined to undertake this. Still wonder if they meant for it to break right away?

My guess... Disney will be beefing up their security at the towers and stations, which would have exceeded what was in place at Sea to Sky gondolas in Squamish.

Am I the only person who receives email updates for this thread and each time I see 'Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation)....' in my in box I secretly hope it's because CM's/people have been spotted actually riding the Skyliner?? :D

I have friends there this week and would love nothing more than for them to be able to ride the Skyliner!!

Am I the only person who receives email updates for this thread and each time I see 'Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation)....' in my in box I secretly hope it's because CM's/people have been spotted actually riding the Skyliner?? :D

I have friends there this week and would love nothing more than for them to be able to ride the Skyliner!!
I arrive Friday and am holding out a forlorn hope of an early opening..

I arrive Saturday and hold my breath daily as I check this thread hoping for bodies in those gondolas!

Arriving to Pop on Thursday. I thought for sure 6 months ago I would be riding the gondolas this trip. Now I've lost most hope. Help me Obi One Kenobi, you're my only hope.
Honestly, it's the reason we switched from Pop to YC/BCV. We arrive for our 12 day vacation in less than 2 weeks. Of course, now that we switched resorts we'll probably see some people riding ;)

MansionButler84 over on the wdwmagic forums has indicated we should look for these to open partially on Aug 28. Everything but the line from CBR > Epcot will open.

MansionButler84 over on the wdwmagic forums has indicated we should look for these to open partially on Aug 28. Everything but the line from CBR > Epcot will open.
Yes, that's the rumour that is widely circulating and seems to have substance. Has not been confirmed by Disney but I'm still hoping it's the case as we arrive at Pop mid-September!

Yes, that's the rumour that is widely circulating and seems to have substance. Has not been confirmed by Disney but I'm still hoping it's the case as we arrive at Pop mid-September!

I'm saying he posted that just this morning and seems to be confirmation (yes, NOT from Disney directly) that these will indeed open then. He posted as if he has seen or heard direct confirmation from his sources. Seems like this would be more of an unannounced soft opening and we might not ever hear anything directly from Disney about it.

I'm saying he posted that just this morning and seems to be confirmation (yes, NOT from Disney directly) that these will indeed open then. He posted as if he has seen or heard direct confirmation from his sources. Seems like this would be more of an unannounced soft opening and we might not ever hear anything directly from Disney about it.
I was only clarifying because on DISBoards, none of really know who 'MansionButler84' is. Is he someone like our @rteetz? Rteetz has been saying with confidence for a while that he believes there will be some sort of a soft opening of the Skyliner DHS/CBR/Pop-AoA lines on Aug 28th.

I was only clarifying because on DISBoards, none of really know who 'MansionButler84' is. Is he someone like our @rteetz? Rteetz has been saying with confidence for a while that he believes there will be some sort of a soft opening of the Skyliner DHS/CBR/Pop-AoA lines on Aug 28th.

Yes, he seems pretty well connected. Not as inside as Martin, but similar. If he says something like this, I take it to mean he knows something new. Hopefully rteetz will be along soon to agree or disagree with my assessment of this new bit of news/confirmation of dates.

How could they do a soft opening of a transportation system without telling people about it? It doesn't make sense. How would people know that they could ride it?

How could they do a soft opening of a transportation system without telling people about it? It doesn't make sense. How would people know that they could ride it?
They could put up A-frame signs on the path from DHS exit to the bus stops, with cm's standing by to answer questions.

It would be a little less effective at the resorts because of Guests all coming from different directions, and the distance from the bus stops to the stations, but they could put up signs at the bus stops and some Guests would probably make the walk to the Skyliner for the novelty. And signs at the Pop & AoA food court exits might capture some Guests' attention.

As far as the resorts ..AOA, POP an CBR they could just add the announcement to daily activities or whatever it's called on the in room tv

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter