Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

No movement has been reported on the international gateway line yet. That kind of surprises me. Haven't seen many posts of recent activity on that line. I know the turns stations add a level of complexity to it, but it does make me wonder if something is up on that line.

No movement has been reported on the international gateway line yet. That kind of surprises me. Haven't seen many posts of recent activity on that line. I know the turns stations add a level of complexity to it, but it does make me wonder if something is up on that line.
Yeah supposedly there has been some overnight stuff they have done but otherwise nothing.

I'm wondering if they dont want to rush the Epcot portion. Rivera wont be open til December dont think Disney would want foot traffic near the construction site.

I could see the Hollywood station being open before SWGE is open and run from POP and CBR to Hollywood.

I'm wondering if they dont want to rush the Epcot portion. Rivera wont be open til December dont think Disney would want foot traffic near the construction site.

I could see the Hollywood station being open before SWGE is open and run from POP and CBR to Hollywood.
If the resort is not open when the Skyliner is ready, I can see that they could run the line (assuming everything else is ready to go) and just set the doors not to open at Riviera station. Use it more like a turn rather than an actual station.

This is just a guess on my part but I would be surprised if they could not do this.

If the resort is not open when the Skyliner is ready, I can see that they could run the line (assuming everything else is ready to go) and just set the doors not to open at Riviera station. Use it more like a turn rather than an actual station.

This is just a guess on my part but I would be surprised if they could not do this.

I think you could both be right ... clearly with Galaxy's Edge they have shown they aren't against opening in stages, so perhaps they open the DHS <-> CBR and CBR <-> Pop/AOA first, in time for Galaxy's Edge and the EPCOT line could come on a little later - even if not until Riviera is fully open but until some more of the construction that would right by the station is finished

Basically focus the resources on the non-EPCOT line for first to get it open in time for the earlier Galaxy's Edge opening

Are most gondola systems tested this much? I feel like they’ve been testing the HS line for a couple months now.
I would say they are tested a good amount but this does seem like a lot compared to other systems. This is brand new for Disney though and is a mass transportation system.

They test them quite a bit at ski resorts, but the public generally doesn't get the first ride until after the first snowfall. So you don't quite get anticipation to ride it as soon as it's ready, as mother nature dictates the schedule.
I do think the testing is a bit of red herring though. I think the limiting factor is not the skyliner itself, I think it's the infrastructure around it. I'm betting they won't open the skyliner until the entrance/security changes are complete at DHS along with at least the station at trinidad.

They test them quite a bit at ski resorts, but the public generally doesn't get the first ride until after the first snowfall. So you don't quite get anticipation to ride it as soon as it's ready, as mother nature dictates the schedule.
I do think the testing is a bit of red herring though. I think the limiting factor is not the skyliner itself, I think it's the infrastructure around it. I'm betting they won't open the skyliner until the entrance/security changes are complete at DHS along with at least the station at trinidad.
I certainly agree about it that opening until the stations are ready but based on how far along the gondola system is itself it seems like Disney is dragging its feet getting the stations ready. They obviously should have started work on the stations much sooner to have them complete when the gondola system was complete. Based on systems I've seen installed ski resorts this 1 is taking "forever"! Actually it should be much sooner because they are bldg. it on flat terrain which greatly reduces the complexity of the installation work.

It certainly seems like for some reason Disney just doesn't want that system to open real soon.

Ugh. They're so beautiful, and they'll be mocking me as I stare longingly at them over the next 2 weeks. Some day I will get to ride them.

good point - like when they first started running for testing it was cool and even if someone was there cool to say you saw them running and stuff .... but this point it is moving beyond exciting towards "come'on already!!!"

good point - like when they first started running for testing it was cool and even if someone was there cool to say you saw them running and stuff .... but this point it is moving beyond exciting towards "come'on already!!!"

Thank you! Yes, let's get this show on the road already!

I can't help but think they must be somewhat close to opening at least the DHS line. Why would they uncover the gondolas for an extended period of time if they weren't going to get them up and running soon? (At least that's the dream that goes round and round in my head!!)

I agree - I mean, would be silly to have them wrapped for so long but then leave them exposed (and potentially damaged) for several more months or whatever?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter