Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

If they're shutting down the friendship boats due to running cables, I can only assume they'll also have to close the IG and route all the Epcot resort guests to the front of the park via buses. Thoughts?

If they're shutting down the friendship boats due to running cables, I can only assume they'll also have to close the IG and route all the Epcot resort guests to the front of the park via buses. Thoughts?
Quite possible. We will have to wait and see on what happens.

FWIW, around these parts lifts go up over the course of a summer and open in early winter. Once the cables and chairs/dolas are on it’s a quick turn around from load testing to opening.

Maybe there will just be periods of time where guests cannot be in those areas or something?

Given the proximity to certain areas of CBR, will they close those buildings while running cable? That cable cuts a swathe through that area.

Being close to them installing the cable really has little to no safety concerns, only underneath and within a few feet. Basically they pull the cable through each tower and splice it together when they finish. And it won't have full tension until it's fully installed. I've stood and talked with people as they've been installing them before. Disney won't let people go under the towers during install but there is no real need to keep people far away.

Last edited:
That was my thought also. We have a dining reservation at Cape May Cafe on our Epcot day, thinking it would be an easy hop. If it would now mean going back to the front of the park to take a bus to Beach Club we might rethink that reservation.

If they were to close IG I would be furious! I am booked at Boardwalk Villas from Dec 1-5. And paid a lot of money for it. The main reason was the proximity to Epcot and DHS since the Disney bus transportation network sucks so much. I am already upset if the boats are down, because with the construction walls around the bus area for DHS, that means a longer walk, when I had planned on relaxing boat rides. Then if IG gets closed that means buses-and knowing Disney it would probably be shared buses between all the Crescent Lake resorts. Why did I book at BWV when I could have saved money someplace else and used that for Ubers. It’s also already within my 60 days, so (desirable) FPs have been booked and I can’t switch things up as easily. If any of this comes true I’m going to be expecting compensation for my resort stay!

I'd think they could still run the boats to DHS, just not IG.

The boat storage and maintenance area is off of the World Showcase Lagoon, so if the boats can't pass the IG area they can't reach the maintenance docks.

If this is only be reported for the Swan and Dolphin, then most likely they are doing work on the bridge that separates the Swan Dolphin area from the Boardwalk area.

Last edited:
If they were to close IG I would be furious! I am booked at Boardwalk Villas from Dec 1-5. And paid a lot of money for it. The main reason was the proximity to Epcot and DHS since the Disney bus transportation network sucks so much. I am already upset if the boats are down, because with the construction walls around the bus area for DHS, that means a longer walk, when I had planned on relaxing boat rides. Then if IG gets closed that means buses-and knowing Disney it would probably be shared buses between all the Crescent Lake resorts. Why did I book at BWV when I could have saved money someplace else and used that for Ubers. It’s also already within my 60 days, so (desirable) FPs have been booked and I can’t switch things up as easily. If any of this comes true I’m going to be expecting compensation for my resort stay!

It's not outside the realm of possibility that the International Gateway cabling will be done overnight, even just a single night could be enough. Or if it is closed, which is what I would expect, it wouldn't need to be for more than a few days on the long end. Ski resorts can changeover a cable in a matter of days. And I'm sure Disney has considered this, especially at MGM where you really can't avoid going under the Gondola to get in since it cuts through the lot and cuts off the busses from the park, so all the work there will likely be overnight for getting the cable on the towers. Once on the towers, the cable is usually secured with an amount of tension while they splice and would be safe to travel under, the only concern is while they are putting the cable up.

However, knowing Disney, I would fully expect closures and pathways rerouted over getting the cable up quickly, especially with the speed up this project.

The reason for closing may not be the cables.
I’m not sure if they are even close to be able to run cables. Here is a Youtube video (2:50) from June and it shows the station is barely out of the ground

The boat storage and maintenance area is off of the World Showcase Lagoon, so if the boats can't pass the IG area they can't reach the maintenance docks.

Is that where they have to go to refuel? Must have big gas tanks cause I can't recall seeing them cross the lagoon while I have ate 20 meals on the veranda at R&C (each meal takes five hours since they have Harp, and Guinness, and Boddington's, etc pirate:)

Here’s another photo I found. Maybe they can do air conditioning with solar??

ED07AE6B-B470-4261-95BF-5A156B8EA2F2.jpeg

I’m not sure if they are even close to be able to run cables. Here is a Youtube video (2:50) from June and it shows the station is barely out of the ground
They are currently projecting cable running in early december so this lines up. It’s now October they have come a long way from June.

I’m not sure if they are even close to be able to run cables. Here is a Youtube video 2:50) from June and it shows the station is barely out of the ground

They are definitely not too far from running the cables now. I was just there yesterday and it is much further along than it was in June. These really only take a couple months to put up in their entirety, even at Disney speed. Ski resorts tend to only have mid April to October to get them fully running, frequently including taking down an old one.

Word is December for the cables and that seems about right to me.

Can we get a wellness check on this poster please. Somebody..pirate: Keep calm, things are not always as they appear. pirate:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter