Disney Premier Visa card- anyone upgrading?

Does anyone know if there's an additional application process or does one just agree to the annual fee and transfer to the new card?

I'm asking b/c I'm a SAHM and was able to get the regular Disney Visa 2 years ago but now new credit card rules claim you have to have personal income to be approved for a CC (at least that's what my local news station reported). Basically, I'm nervous about having to re-apply for this new card.

TIA!

I have never heard of that new rule. I am also a SAHM mom, but our Visa is in my name. When I upgraded last night, it just asked for the last 4 digits of my card, my zip code and one other thing (last name, whole name--not sure). Then it brought up my name and my DH (authorized user) and asked which card design(s) we wanted. That was basically it. It said the card should be here within a couple of weeks.

i did look at the info on the chase site... i didnt see anywhere where it mentioned 5% for the first three months.... does everyone who transfers get that deal? i also buy all my grocerys at target, but on my year end statement target is listed under grocerys :), but of course i just got the red debit card.. we also buy all our gas at costco on our amex for 3% back... even still i spent 4-5,000 depending on travel last year in these cats combined... would it be worth it for me to get the new card?? what is the break even point for the catergories? thanks!!!

also do you just call and request new card? so when you transfer over you pay 49 and then you get 100 bonus disney dollars??? sorry it was hard to understand..is it the same account and credit limit etc, not a new account right?

Thanks - this was a great suggestion. I was unsure whether the Premier card would be worth it for us but after looking at our year end summary I see that we will more than recoup the $49 annual fee. However, I think I will wait to upgrade until closer to our June WDW trip when I can get the 5% for those expenses.

Just make sure you upgrade prior to April 30th. Signing up after that date will no longer get you the 3 months of 5% rewards.

i did look at the info on the chase site... i didnt see anywhere where it mentioned 5% for the first three months.... does everyone who transfers get that deal? i also buy all my grocerys at target, but on my year end statement target is listed under grocerys :), but of course i just got the red debit card.. we also buy all our gas at costco on our amex for 3% back... even still i spent 4-5,000 depending on travel last year in these cats combined... would it be worth it for me to get the new card?? what is the break even point for the catergories? thanks!!!

also do you just call and request new card? so when you transfer over you pay 49 and then you get 100 bonus disney dollars??? sorry it was hard to understand..is it the same account and credit limit etc, not a new account right?

Just go to www.disneyrewards.com and click on "learn more" on the right side of the page. At the bottom of the side by side comparison of the two card types, there is an "upgrade" button. Click that and follow the steps (this is the page that lists the 5% info). It took about 5 minutes to upgrade.

The $100 bonus is for new card accounts only. Upgrading will be your same card#, but a different exp. date and 3 digit verification code.

Just make sure you upgrade prior to April 30th. Signing up after that date will no longer get you the 3 months of 5% rewards.

Thanks - I will. I am planning to do it at the beginning of April as that will take us through our trip at the end of June.

I can't wait to get a card with the new designs!

The hardest decision for me was which new card design to choose! I'm so used to my red Mickey Ears Disney VISA (I also have a 2nd one with Tink on it, different account)...but I chose the pink swirly design for the Premier card. I kept the classic red Mickey Ears one for DH. I figured he wouldn't want to whip out a pink credit card & that might deter him from using it LOL!

Smitch425 I guess we're the guinea pigs for this new card - hopefully we'll see some great points from it!

I've been watching this for awhile now. I wonder if the 5% bonus in certain categories for your 1st 3 months is the best intro offer they're going to do, or should I wait & hold out for something better?

I'm almost embarrassed to say that we put over 6 figures on our Disney VISA every year. We charge EVERYTHING. We are fortunate enough to be able to pay it off each month, so in Disney's eyes, they're not making a dime off of us, yet paying us lots of rewards points. I wonder if never having paid interest on it will affect us being able to even qualify for the upgrade?

I also had to chuckle at some of the stores & how they were categorized on my year-end statement (thank you Marionette for how to look it up!). We had some huge home improvement purchases last year for a remodel & replacement windows & doors, yet they fall into regular shopping, not home improvement.

I'm thinking I will go ahaed & apply for the upgrade. With 2 Disney trips coming up in the next 3 months, I think that would be smart for me since purchases at "Disney locations that are solely owned and operated by Disney" are in the 5% points bonus. I was planning to use my current Rewards points to buy tickets for the kids & DH (I have an AP) but now may re-think that, and use the Disney VISA to get more points. I can save all the points then for use at a later date. Hmmm I have to renew my AP in the next 3 months as well - I'm assuming that will be included in the 5% bonus category...decisions decisions!
We pay it off every month too and didn't have a problem upgrading. I mean not sure why would will think that it would matter. Considering now they will at least make $49 from you.

We charge about $45,000+ per year to our Disney card, so we will benefit from the new card tremendously.

Not necessarily. You will only benefit from the new card if more than $4,900 of your annual charges you would have used the Disney Visa for are in those select categories.

Not necessarily. You will only benefit from the new card if more than $4,900 of your annual charges you would have used the Disney Visa for are in those select categories.

We charged over $4000 in gas and $8000 in dining last year. Plus we do an annual Disney trip and other stuff in the categories. We will benefit greatly from the new card. I wish it would come already! Hurry up mail! :hyper: LOL!

We upgraded! We earn more than the $49 each year now and use our disney visa for everything and then pay it off each month. We'll recoup way more than the $49 fee.

I read somewhere that the benefits kick in 3 days after you upgrade. Does anyone know if this is true? Since we keep the same account number I can see how that would be. Not sure though if we have to activate the new card before it takes effect. Anyone????

Just upgraded! We'll earn more than $200 in rewards just from paying off the balance on our cruise. BTW, we pay ours off every month too and also had no problem qualifying.

Originally Posted by ValpoCory View Post
We charged over $4000 in gas and $8000 in dining last year.
Oof..just looked on my YE statement and I guess I should apply for the premiere card.

Over $5 on grocery & $9 on auto. Only $600 on dining though. Guess we don't eat out much :rotfl2:

Edit-didn't realize the auto was broken into different categories. Only spent $3 on gas, the rest was DH's auto crap. Still....may be worth it to upgrade.

hmmmm decisions decisions. i would at least break even on the fee. this is mostly b/c target is considered grocery for me, i think it may be how each store is categorized (the two i frequent carry fresh groceries). i have no travel plans now but am contemplating next years vacation. maybe ill wait a bit since i have until april 30 and see if any travel plans come up.

I'm thinking about it more and now think I might as well upgrade sooner rather than later. Yes, we will be going to WDW in June, but I can pay off most of the trip in the next 3 months to take advantage of the 5% now. It is not like we charge that much once we are there. That way I can start taking advantage of the extra rewards for the other categories even sooner.

Now to pick out the design!

Thanks so much for the year-end statement tip! That made the decision easy. $8000 just in Gas last year! And with gas prices going up again, we will probably top that this year :)

How do you know what qualifies as a grocery store?

There are a few independently owned grocery stores in my area that we go to every so often. I'd want to know if they count before I go!

The balance on our June Cruise with DCL is due in March. If we upgrade to this card and use it to pay off our balance, will we earn 5% back on that balance since it would be charged in the first 90 days after upgrade? If so, this would definitely be worth it for us.

I'm curious which Disney locations qualify as . We are cruising in March and wonder whether excursions and onboard purchases will count for the bonus rewards. Also, do cruises fares and hotels count since we already get 6 monthes no interest?

Thanks so much for the year-end statement tip! That made the decision easy. $8000 just in Gas last year! And with gas prices going up again, we will probably top that this year :)

Remember, if you have a Chase Freedom card, you get 5% back (in cash) on gas purchases 6 months out of the year in 2012, and 1% in the other 6 months, for a 3% average cash back. Compare that with the 2% year round rewards in a gift card form for the Premier. Same thing with the Target Visa ... 5% off in cash instantly there. Make sure you analyze the opportunity cost of not taking advantage of better rewards cards.

Just upgraded...with the extra 1% (and the bonus for 3 months), I think we'll easily recoop the $49 fee.

So until we get our new cards, do I just continue using the old one? When I receive and activate the new card, will the old one then be deactivated automatically? :confused3

Thanks!

Just upgraded...with the extra 1% (and the bonus for 3 months), I think we'll easily recoop the $49 fee.

So until we get our new cards, do I just continue using the old one? When I receive and activate the new card, will the old one then be deactivated automatically? :confused3

Thanks!

When I upgraded it was very vague as to exactly how to proceed. (Maybe I was so excited that I clicked through the screens to fast!) I'm assuming we keep using the current card until the new ones come in the mail. At that point we'll probably have to call to activate those, at which point the old ones won't work (well they should still work as long as you don't need to use the 3-digit security code on the back, that's the only thing that's changing along with the expiration date. )

I just logged in my account & there's no mention of the upgrade or what type of account I have, so nothing's been changed over yet.

Smitch425 I think you upgraded first, let us know when your cards come!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter