• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney+ News

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 3 year remark could definitely be true, but that would mean the set is being used for either multiple shows, or multiple seasons of Andor. There’s no way any of these shows are filming for 3 years on their own. The production cost for Disney would be over $1B.

I finally watched the live-action Mulan yesterday; I actually really enjoyed it. But I'm one who likes that cinematic style martial arts movie. I would watch it again, and recommend it to anyone who has similar tastes in movies.

I wish they would make the announcement that the Spiderman MCU movies were joining. Went looking for Homecoming to watch the post credits scene and how it may be linked to Wandavision (SWORD) but couldn't find it. Had to search for it on youtube and show it from there.

I know why the rights thing with Sony means it won't happen but it is strange to have a category for all the MCU movies by phase and find a few missing.

The Muppets coming to D+ is why it was premature to get upset that everything didn’t come to D+ on launch day. This announcement would not have gotten the widespread excitement had it been lost in the shuffle of an entire content dump. Now this is probably more of a case of Disney not yet having the rights to the show, but it still lands under the category of, just because it didn’t launch with Disney+ doesn’t mean it’s not coming eventually

I wish they would make the announcement that the Spiderman MCU movies were joining. Went looking for Homecoming to watch the post credits scene and how it may be linked to Wandavision (SWORD) but couldn't find it. Had to search for it on youtube and show it from there.

I know why the rights thing with Sony means it won't happen but it is strange to have a category for all the MCU movies by phase and find a few missing.

Because they still want to feature the MCU through the phases. Just because the Spider-Man movies aren’t (yet) available to them doesn’t mean they don’t want to present the MCU in the way they’re intended to.

Unless Sony develops a streaming service ( not named Crackle), I think eventually Disney will strike a deal with them for their Spider-Man movies. And not just the MCU ones, I think they’ll want all of them. Even ‘Into the Spiderverse’ is without a home now that it’s been taken off of Netflix.

The Muppets coming to D+ is why it was premature to get upset that everything didn’t come to D+ on launch day. This announcement would not have gotten the widespread excitement had it been lost in the shuffle of an entire content dump. Now this is probably more of a case of Disney not yet having the rights to the show, but it still lands under the category of, just because it didn’t launch with Disney+ doesn’t mean it’s not coming eventually

And it's not like there wasn't plenty else to be watching. I've watched D+ almost every day since I got it and there is still a ton for me to watch. I mena, The Simpsons alone has given me countless hours of value. I've been watching the old Disney Afternoon shows. I'm currently watching the brilliant Recess. Throw in all the movies, including the big classics, and it's been the total package. The Muppet Show is just yet another compelling reason to love D+!

Last edited:
Unless Sony develops a streaming service ( not named Crackle), I think eventually Disney will strike a deal with them for their Spider-Man movies. And not just the MCU ones, I think they’ll want all of them. Even ‘Into the Spiderverse’ is without a home now that it’s been taken off of Netflix.

I believe Sony divested itself from Crackle. I think odds are good that they will eventually start a streming service of their own. Everybody's doing it!

I believe Sony divested itself from Crackle. I think odds are good that they will eventually start a streming service of their own. Everybody's doing it!

Idk.I think if they were to go through with one, they would have already, or at least initial plans would have been started. Eventually the bubble will burst on streaming. Unless you’re coming in with very competitive pricing like Disney+, it’s going to take a long, long time to get to a subscriber base that makes it financially viable. Look at HBOMax for example. Their numbers right now are not good. They’ll get bumps for the day and date movies, the Friends reunion, and GoT spin-off, but I’m not sure they’ll consistently get to even the numbers Disney+ currently has, let alone Netflix. These streaming services add up. If you were to subscribe to every service, you’re looking at about $500+ a year. I think it would be smarter for a studio like Sony to cash in by selling their catalog content to these services

Idk.I think if they were to go through with one, they would have already, or at least initial plans would have been started. Eventually the bubble will burst on streaming. Unless you’re coming in with very competitive pricing like Disney+, it’s going to take a long, long time to get to a subscriber base that makes it financially viable. Look at HBOMax for example. Their numbers right now are not good. They’ll get bumps for the day and date movies, the Friends reunion, and GoT spin-off, but I’m not sure they’ll consistently get to even the numbers Disney+ currently has, let alone Netflix. These streaming services add up. If you were to subscribe to every service, you’re looking at about $500+ a year. I think it would be smarter for a studio like Sony to cash in by selling their catalog content to these services

A relevant article to this discussion:

Media mogul Haim Saban explains why the Fox-Disney merger ‘stumped’ him

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/haim...y-merger-stumped-him-145947284.html?.tsrc=rss
Mentions how Fox realized they needed more scale and content to be a player in streaming and that there was no way they could buy enough so they sold out to Disney. I can't imagine the Sony library is larger than Fox's was, so could they even launch a service?

As Mit said, probably better to license their stuff to the big 3 or 4 streamers.

I agree but the problem for an outside seller to these services is the contracts they want you to sign are often not great. For old content maybe not bad but new content is tough since many streaming services don't share specific numbers with the content creators making it tough to negotiate well and also many have a period of time where you can't take a show elsewhere if the streaming service cancels it (which disney is still dealing with with some of the marvel netflix shows). Streaming doesn't allow one streaming service to cancela. Show and another to pick it up in many of the contracts.

So while I agree that Sony likely can't do their own service if they go to sell thier stuff to another service it will likely take a lot of negotiation to get a "good" contract for it Especially if they also want to sell new content with the old content.

I've always said on streaming we are going to have a large expansion period which we are going through now and then there will be a consolidation period where things collapse down to 3-4 main services (though possibly with higher fees then we have now). I also wouldn't be surprised if like we saw with Hulu at one point when coloration happens that there is some ownership stake involved - streaming service gets the content in return for some percentage of the company or something. That helps both. The person selling gets some of the profits and isn't in just a contract situation. The streaming service benefits since that content isn't part of just a contract so there is no danger of it leaving the company.

Be interesting to see how things shape up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter