Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2023 Edition

Lots of comments about summer bookings being soft. Perhaps the staffing issues have been resolved and they feel they can handle more guests now.
I think it's a mixture of a few aspects such as the economy/concerns about the economy, people getting fed up with reservations, virtual queues, Genie+, etc., tickets, hotels, food, etc. being very expensive especially for a family and people feeling that they don't need to book trips in the future since WDW really doesn't have anything major in the pipeline. And no, the Moana splash pad doesn't count.

Disney & Former CEO Bob Chapek Named in Lawsuit Accusing Executives of Misleading Investors About Disney+

According to a lawsuit filed in US District Court for the Central District of California, former Disney CEO Bob Chapek is among a list of defendants that also includes The Walt Disney Company, current CFO Christine McCarthy, and former Entertainment Chief Kareem Daniel, who are accused of “misleading investors and concealing the true cost of the Disney+ platform”, via Bloomberg Law.

The lawsuit is a securities class action on behalf of all purchasers of the Disney common stock between December 10, 2020 and November 8, 2022. Chapek was fired on November 20, 2022.

The lawsuit takes issue with the October 2020 restructuring of the Company, which the lawsuit alleges was “a dramatic departure from Disney’s historical reporting structure”. The lawsuit says the restructuring was “hugely controversial within the Company because it took power away from the creative content-focused executives and centralized it in a new reporting group led by defendant Daniel who reported directly to defendant Chapek”.

The lawsuit takes issue with the October 2020 restructuring of the Company, which the lawsuit alleges was “a dramatic departure from Disney’s historical reporting structure”. The lawsuit says the restructuring was “hugely controversial within the Company because it took power away from the creative content-focused executives and centralized it in a new reporting group led by defendant Daniel who reported directly to defendant Chapek”.
So, what is the grounds for this suit? That Management made a decision to restructure a division? Surely that's well within the normal managerial powers.

So, what is the grounds for this suit? That Management made a decision to restructure a division? Surely that's well within the normal managerial powers.
IIRC, there was smoke about Chapek, aka Paycheck, spreading some of the streaming costs into linear tv budgets so as to "hide" some of the real streaming costs. Allegedly it was a departure from previous accounting practices. and was done to deceive.

Again, IIRC.

It's common for activist investor groups to sue if they think they can get away with it. However, as @wabbott said, there is possibly some smoke there. I have seen investor groups, particularly teacher retirement fund groups, sue for less.

How do they guarantee one day to each park? Automatically selected park passes? Does this mean I can't use it to book the same park 4 times?
Edit: oops...read the line that says "Reservations not required". Move along....
In the past, these tickets were literally 1 day for each park. No repeats. If you upgraded to hopper, you’d pay current hopper price and lose the savings.

I think it's a mixture of a few aspects such as the economy/concerns about the economy, people getting fed up with reservations, virtual queues, Genie+, etc., tickets, hotels, food, etc. being very expensive especially for a family and people feeling that they don't need to book trips in the future since WDW really doesn't have anything major in the pipeline. And no, the Moana splash pad doesn't count.
Economics are the biggest factor imo. People are already starting to cut back on non-essentials judging by the amount of deals and discounts I’m seeing flooding my inbox for various things lately, not just Disney. Travel deals especially. B6 is having sales every 2 seconds it seems like.

Good Morning!

Jiminey%2BHave%2Ba%2Bgood%2Bday.jpg

Economics are the biggest factor imo. People are already starting to cut back on non-essentials judging by the amount of deals and discounts I’m seeing flooding my inbox for various things lately, not just Disney. Travel deals especially. B6 is having sales every 2 seconds it seems like.
I would agree. I know the employment numbers are still good overall but there are pockets of people that are getting hit by layoffs (tech sector) and a general feeling of anxiety out there. Vacations to expensive locations are probably the easiest thing to cut amidst that uncertainty.

Definitely agree that the cost is the biggest factor. I think even Universal is having a buy 1, get 2 days free deal with tickets right now. I do think people feeling Disney is too complicated to not bother going is a factor but not as big as economics.

A sincere question. At what price point do us die-hard DIS fanatics cut the cord on Disney +. The price increased, IIRC, abut thirty percent earlier this year. Will another 30 or 40 percent hike be too much?

Definitely agree that the cost is the biggest factor. I think even Universal is having a buy 1, get 2 days free deal with tickets right now. I do think people feeling Disney is too complicated to not bother going is a factor but not as big as economics.
You might be right about that. If you have a lot of stress and anxiety in other parts of your life, adding a complicated system might just be a bridge too far.

IIRC, there was smoke about Chapek, aka Paycheck, spreading some of the streaming costs into linear tv budgets so as to "hide" some of the real streaming costs. Allegedly it was a departure from previous accounting practices. and was done to deceive.

Again, IIRC.
Thanks. So, the company may have shifted costs from one category to another. In the end though, it didn't affect Disney net earnings. The costs still fell to the bottom line.

A sincere question. At what price point do us die-hard DIS fanatics cut the cord on Disney +. The price increased, IIRC, abut thirty percent earlier this year. Will another 30 or 40 percent hike be too much?
For me it would be. Anything higher then $20 and I'm out. It's the same for all of them. At $20 each when you have 4-5 different ones you basically are back to paying cable prices. I personally would never pay for an ad tier as I don't see the value in it when I can get streaming services with ads for free.

You might be right about that. If you have a lot of stress and anxiety in other parts of your life, adding a complicated system might just be a bridge too far.
It's why I really feel for this first time ever guests that don't have a PHD in Disney planning like people here do. I don't know if I would even go back if I was there for the first time and had to juggle all of these systems PLUS the crowds.

In terms of this summer, I think Memorial day weekend will be the indicator of what the rest of the season will be like. Last week and this week are weird times for crowds so I don't think they're a true reflection of what it's actually like.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter