Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2022 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
RUMOR:

New EPCOT Nighttime Show to Feature Drones, Harmonious “Stargate & Taco” Barges to be Removed & Destroyed

At the D23 Expo, Parks Chairman Josh D’Amaro made the surprise announcement that Harmonious, the nighttime spectacular that debuted at EPCOT for the start of the 50th anniversary celebration of Walt Disney World (but was supposed to debut in 2020 and be a long-standing offering), will be replaced next year by a new show.

“The World’s Most Magical Celebration” will end on March 31, 2023, but an official end date for Harmonious has not been announced. No details have been released for the new show, but it is not expected to debut immediately after the last performance of Harmonious. Instead, EPCOT Forever is due to return (again) for the intermediary period. Disney had previously claimed that the show was permanently retired, but Harmonious failed to connect with guests on the level of IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth and its infrastructure also ruined views across the picturesque World Showcase Lagoon.

With the incredible success of Disney D-Light at Disneyland Paris for their 30th anniversary, rumor has it that Disney will bring drones stateside with EPCOT’s new nighttime show debuting towards the end of 2023.
I mean I'm definitely glad they're getting rid of them, but man what a colossal waste of time and money.

IAAPA EXPO 2022 to Honor 40th Anniversary of EPCOT at Legends Panel Discussion

This year, the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions (IAAPA) will celebrate EPCOT’s 40th Anniversary at the Legends 2022: Epcot, 40 Years in a State of Becoming panel at the upcoming expo.
The panel, which will be held on November 16, 2022, from 4:00 – 5:30 p.m., will explore the past, present, and future of EPCOT. It will delve into the kinds of tools and lessons Disney Imagineers and management learned from the creation and continuing evolution of EPCOT. In addition, it will examine “how its core identity evolved,” how Disney “tried new things” and continues to reinvent the theme park.

The IAAPA Expo conference, which will be held at the Orange County Convention Center, runs from November 14-17, and the trade show runs from November 15-18, 2022. For more information, visit IAAPA.

Canceled or Delayed PLAY! Pavilion Still Listed on EPCOT 40th Anniversary Map

Although many (including us) feared it indefinitely delayed or even canceled, it seems the PLAY! Pavilion has resurfaced again on the commemorative map given out for EPCOT’s 40th Anniversary on October 1! A close look at the World Discovery area of the park reveals a small bubble above the former Wonders of Life Pavilion reading “Future Home of PLAY!,” indicating the project may still be on course. It could be heavily scaled back as previously rumored, but this does make it appear as though Disney intends to follow through on opening the next new pavilion at EPCOT.

EPCOT 40th commemorative guidemap 5 scaled
PlayPavilionSpottedEpcot40Map

New Signage and October Ice SCREAM Flavors Land at Salt & Straw

Salt & Straw

The Great Candycopia​

Salt & Straw

Photo: Salt & Straw

This one is for all of my candy-lovers out there! Think Kit Kats, Reeses, Snickers, Heath bars and more!

Perfectly blended into milk chocolate-buried crispy feuilletine, peanut butter trapped inside walls of chocolate, and almonds smothered in BOOrbon vanilla toffee with creamy salted butterscotch ice cream. Wow!

Jack o’ Lantern Pumpkin Bread​

Salt & Straw

This is such a cool combo of October flavors. A delicious blend of warm spice, the tender hunks of a just-baked pumpkin bread, and generous swaths of whipped cream cheese frosting make this a fall treat you mush have!

Don Bugito’s Creepy Crawly Critters​

Salt & Straw

This one is tasty and fun! Dozens of critters are hiding in the green matcha ice cream with toffee-brittle mealworms and chocolate crickets.
Don Bugito in Oakland provided the delicious bugs making a truly unique treat!

Black Cat Licorice & Lavender​

Salt & Straw

This unexpected flavor burst features silky, pitch-dark anise and fennel caramel with luminous salted lavender ice cream.
This is perfectly spooky!

Double Bubble Toil & Trouble (v)​

Salt & Straw

It's important for a corporation to not fall into the sunk cost fallacy. Just because they have poured a lot of money into a failure, doesn't mean they should pour more in. They have to know/learn when to accept failure, learn lessons and move on. There is nothing wrong with failing as long as you are willing to learn from it.
I’ve heard the barges were a maintenance nightmare. That’s why they abandoned the daytime fountain idea.

I've seen the fountains on occasionally - but I can't ever tell if they are just testing them or if they are actually turning them on. So they work, at least somewhat.

They are not impressive at all :rolleyes2

I’ve heard the barges were a maintenance nightmare. That’s why they abandoned the daytime fountain idea.
I have no knowledge but I can totally believe this to be true. A prime example of failure to create what was supposed to be.

The only times I liked the barges was during runDisney events. You're finally finishing the race around the World Showcase and they had the race graphics on the barges. Maybe I was just emotional as I was finishing the marathon realizing that the margarita stand I planned to visit for months wasn't open yet, so I looked out at those barges instead...

Just want to point out that after the original announcement, the date has changed to October 6 for Candlelight Processional Dining Packages...looks like WDWMagic has updated their article as well...
Do you have to be within your 60 day booking window to book a Candlelight Processional dining package?

Drawn to Life Presented by Cirque du Soleil and Disney announces new performance schedule for 2023 including new matinee show times

Beginning Jan. 4, 2023, guests will be able to enjoy Drawn to Life with two performances daily, Wednesdays through Sundays at Disney Springs. Wednesday through Saturday showtimes will be 5:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. and two Sunday matinees at 1:30 p.m. and 4 p.m.

“Based on feedback from guests, we determined this new schedule will offer great daytime opportunities for travelers and locals to see the show, especially those with children,” said Heather Reilly, Drawn to Life Company Manager.

Drawn to Life Presented by Cirque du Soleil and Disney announces new performance schedule for 2023 including new matinee show times

Beginning Jan. 4, 2023, guests will be able to enjoy Drawn to Life with two performances daily, Wednesdays through Sundays at Disney Springs. Wednesday through Saturday showtimes will be 5:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. and two Sunday matinees at 1:30 p.m. and 4 p.m.

“Based on feedback from guests, we determined this new schedule will offer great daytime opportunities for travelers and locals to see the show, especially those with children,” said Heather Reilly, Drawn to Life Company Manager.

Now just release a soundtrack. The show is awesome, but the soundtrack is phenomenal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter