Disney has a secret army...

Articles about Disney get hashed out on this board all the time.

Yes, articles do get posted here all the time, but they normally have something to do with the parks, like reviews of MM+ or FP+. This article is about bloggers.

Yes, articles do get posted here all the time, but they normally have something to do with the parks, like reviews of MM+ or FP+. This article is about bloggers.

More accurately, the article that spawned this discussion, (which was featured in the top stories on the Yahoo home page), is about the agressive nature of the Disney PR machine, the effects of which are seen and felt here on this board.

I don't think this thread is about you. I don't think there was a sinister ulterior motive, and I haven't seen anyone call you out directly in this thread. You immediately came in here on the defensive, thinking this was all directed towards you. It's not.

I don't think there was a sinister ulterior motive,
I agree with this. I see things posted here all the time that arguably don't belong. I don't read anything into it. I think if it were meant as a jab, it would be a jab no matter where it was posted. But maybe I'm missing something.

Last edited:
Maybe. Complaining is certainly louder than a smile.

However, some of the things I'm thinking of that come under the umbrella of positivity have the actual result of being dismissive or critical. Example: I had a terrible day at MK today. Response: You're in the MK and you're complaining? Any day at Disney is better than the day I'm having.

Or: FP is terrible - it didn't work at all for me. Response: You just didn't do it right.

The responses are certainly pro-Disney, but they're not very magical. They invalidate the opinion of the person who is complaining, and who may actually have a legitimate complaint that doesn't deserve to be dismissed or marginalized.

Thanks - those are the kinds of exchanges I should have been able to illustrate as well. Since this thread is literally about the "PR team" accusation, I didn't readily call to mind the equivalent examples from a different viewpoint. All examples of disming the poster rather than continuing a back-and-forth discussion of merits and tactics. Calling these fictional responders out for making a poor argument would make sense.

More accurately, the article that spawned this discussion, (which was featured in the top stories on the Yahoo home page), is about the agressive nature of the Disney PR machine, the effects of which are seen and felt here on this board.

I don't think this thread is about you. I don't think there was a sinister ulterior motive, and I haven't seen anyone call you out directly in this thread. You immediately came in here on the defensive, thinking this was all directed towards you. It's not.

I think the article itself states than none of these draftees into Disney's "army" are told what to post, what they cannot post, or even that they should post. I am not sure if that is any more aggressive than liking a certain item on Facebook and having it show up in your news feed.

I'm sorry, I thought I moved on, but I'm back to wondering what the motivation was for creating this thread...

I'm seems to me it was intended for a "certain audience", whether that be the people accused of being PR for Disney, or the ones doing the accusing. Either way, this thread, and the article that spawned it, have absolutely nothing to do with theme park attractions and strategies. So why post it here? Is it because the TPAS board is where you'll find that "certain audience"?

I kinda like that these types of things appear on TPAS and am disappointed when they move. I don't frequent the community board, where these threads are often sent, so I wouldn't find certain conversations I enjoy. I would think that they get posted here because the OP's either know the traffic is busier here and/or just hang out here the most themselves and post here by default. I figure if this community (TPAS) wasn't interested in the topic, it would fall off the page pretty fast.

I see th
A blogger receiving something for free/discount absolutely does invalidate the review. For me anyway.
I see this post got very long! Bent just responding to this this is the only way most reviews work. And it's not my site at all I write occasionally. If a company treats the editor poorly or she feels a product is dangerous,the company is doing somehitng badly then she publishes. But yes most blogs are positive reviews. You got I the source for reviews on good products....if they trust her they trust her review. Not all reviewers or blog have to work the same way! I just wanted to say it's nothing shady.

I keep seeing this comparison of the Disney Army to the PR Team. I don't think that they are necessarily one and the same. The PR Team terminology was mentioned long before the army article appeared.

I think that the PR Team might refer to individuals who tend to be the same people who over and over again pop up to defend Disney in just about all matters. They might also be those who contribute most heavily to getting people with opposing viewpoints banned.

However the Disney Army seems to be individuals who are in some way compensated by Disney to push Disney. Someone could belong to both groups but they aren't necessarily related.

I keep seeing this comparison of the Disney Army to the PR Team. I don't think that they are necessarily one and the same. The PR Team terminology was mentioned long before the army article appeared.

I think that the PR Team might refer to individuals who tend to be the same people who over and over again pop up to defend Disney in just about all matters. They might also be those who contribute most heavily to getting people with opposing viewpoints banned.

However the Disney Army seems to be individuals who are in some way compensated by Disney to push Disney. Someone could belong to both groups but they aren't necessarily related.

Nobody got anyone else banned. The people that were banned were banned because they couldn't follow the rules of the forum or the directions of the moderator. Period. It was their choice. I am not going to try to convince true believers of the truth though.

Nobody got anyone else banned. The people that were banned were banned because they couldn't follow the rules of the forum or the directions of the moderator. Period. It was their choice. I am not going to try to convince true believers of the truth though.
I'm glad that you mentioned the rules. I was trying to find them the other day and I can't figure out where they are on this new website. Do you know where they are?

You would think I'd have them memorized after all of these years!

Some posts are so "Disney can do no wrong" that I wondered if they were overdosing on the pixie dust. Now at least I have an explanation.

I'm glad that you mentioned the rules. I was trying to find them the other day and I can't figure out where they are on this new website. Do you know where they are?

Well, looky there! I can't find them directly either, but if you go to the TPAS forum, there's a sticky by Cyrano on page one about posting guidelines. In his first post he has a link to the complete rules. Sorry I don't have a more direct route.

So the question is... are there plants here on the DIS? Whom do I rely on here?
:confused3
NO! NO! NO! I am not asking posters to go McCarthy on here and suggest other posters!!! :faint:
It's rhetorical.
But it does confirm at least SOME sites have a PR team...

Look for all the people who signed up right around they started rolling out FastPass +. I called a couple people out during that debacle as being paid. A couple shut right up and disappeared- probably afraid they would lose their perks. There will be a ton more the next time Disney wants to start something unfavorable like paid tiering for FastPass availability. They will post early and often on each thread about the subject. They are like lobbyists who post on Huffpo's or FoxNews comments sections.

The main point - these were all Disneyphiles long before they were invited to join this group. Years of positive social media postings and blogs got them here. I seriously doubt that this discounted trip is going to change that. They have been hooked and landed already. Future posts and blogs will resemble past posts and blogs in that they will continue to show a serious love for all things Disney.

Now, if Disney were recruiting people who were on the fence and getting them to change their content - that would be deceitful and worth comment.

Nonsense. They would just stick to their blogs unless there was incentive to push the pixie dust.

I hear there's at test when you hit 45K posts. You better study up. It's coming soon. ;)

Well, looky there! I can't find them directly either, but if you go to the TPAS forum, there's a sticky by Cyrano on page one about posting guidelines. In his first post he has a link to the complete rules. Sorry I don't have a more direct route.
Thanks for this! I couldn't find them to save my life.

I particularly like the last part of the rules:
We do not believe in censorship, and open discussions about various issues is encouraged. When participating in a thread, we ask that everyone be treated with respect and that our guidelines be followed. If we find that an individual is disruptive and is unable to follow our rules, he/she will be barred from participating on our site.

Of course, "disruptive" can vary depending on the situation but I like this particularly the part about not believing in censorship. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter