Disney has a secret army...

No...not really surprising, but a little bizarre IMO. Why the need from Disney to make these arrangements in the first place? Shouldn't their own marketing efforts suffice without having to resort to seemingly shady tactics? For example, when I'm reading a post here on the DIS, I usually take what each poster says as an honest and completely natural comment/review. But if that poster is actually here as part of an arrangement with Disney, or what they perceive to be an obligation due to their arrangement with Disney- well then I wouldn't view their post in the same light. But the annoying part of it is that I would never know that they are part of this so-called "secret mom army" since they're under no obligation to disclose such a vital piece of information. :faint:

It doesn't seem that shady, they aren't even required to post on disney, or do anything, really. Basically it's a "You vocally like us, have a coupon!" That lots and lots of companies do.

True, I just wish there was full disclosure on any of the social media platforms that they do post on, such as forums like the DIS, since they in a sense "work" for Disney by being in this select group set up by Disney.

True, I just wish there was full disclosure on any of the social media platforms that they do post on, such as forums like the DIS, since they in a sense "work" for Disney by being in this select group set up by Disney.

It said right in the article they were required to, for that trip. If they aren't being compensated directly, why should they have to disclose the fact that disney essentially gave them a thumbs up?

It said right in the article they were required to, for that trip. If they aren't being compensated directly, why should they have to disclose the fact that disney essentially gave them a thumbs up?

Not quite sure what you're saying here, but the trip to WDW for the Social Media Moms Celebration and their personal blog posts/tweets about their trip are one thing. Separate from that are their other social media posts year round- like here on the DIS. What I'm saying is that full disclosure would be nice in forums such as these, but upon further thought I suppose that would defeat the whole purpose of this chosen group.

Not quite sure what you're saying here, but the trip to WDW for the Social Media Moms Celebration and their personal blog posts/tweets about their trip are one thing. Separate from that are their other social media posts year round- like here on the DIS. What I'm saying is that full disclosure would be nice in forums such as these, but upon further thought I suppose that would defeat the whole purpose of this chosen group.

The article made it seem like the group was an over-glorified mailing list. I took away from it their only compensation was to get that trip at a deeply discounted rate... of which they didn't send to all the members of the group, either. Only 200 or so. The point is they would have to say something like "I'm posting this in hopes I might get chosen to go on a trip." That doesn't seem reasonable.

The article made it seem like the group was an over-glorified mailing list. I took away from it their only compensation was to get that trip at a deeply discounted rate... of which they didn't send to all the members of the group, either. Only 200 or so. The point is they would have to say something like "I'm posting this in hopes I might get chosen to go on a trip." That doesn't seem reasonable.

I think that referring to them as an "over-glorified mailing list" diminishes what they are carefully vetted and chosen to do- by Disney. And Disney clearly wants to have influence within the social media platforms without having their name attached- hence this secret mom army.

From the article:

The theory is that mothers with a large online presence have the ability to influence travel and entertainment planning of other mothers. "For a big chunk of our guests, it's the moms who are making [travel] decisions," said Tom Staggs, Disney's chief operating officer.

No surprise there. What I've been saying is that it should be disclosed by these participants when they do post on social media that they are in a very select group chosen by Disney to influence others over social media. That's it. The fact that they do not disclose this is what I take issue with. The once a year convention that a couple hundred of them get to go to is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. The year round social media posting without full disclosure is the crux of the matter IMO.

The article only mentioned twitter, instagram, and blogs. It didn't say that they were anywhere else. Made the whole thing sound a bit silly, actually.

The article only mentioned twitter, instagram, and blogs. It didn't say that they were anywhere else. Made the whole thing sound a bit silly, actually.

The twitter, instagram, and blogs referenced in the article referred to the convention postings:

Still, this year’s social media moms event in May generated 28,500 tweets, 4,900 Instagram photos and 88 blog posts full of ride reviews and videos of kids meeting Disney characters. And the moms' postings are overwhelmingly positive.

When they mention moms using multiple social media platforms as one of their selection criteria, to me that's all-encompassing to include all discussion forums:

Disney executives will only say they look for moms who fit its family-friendly brand, use multiple social media platforms and are active in their communities offline.

Isn't the Moms Panel a part of this as well?

I personally don't find it a big deal. I love reading detailed blog posts and the more companies encourage it, the better. Writers/bloggers receive comp stuff regularly (if they are any good).

I see people that behave like these occasionally and I've wondered. I'll just continue to ignore them and seek out the people that make more sense to me. Plus give my own opinion which should count for just as much hopefully.

This is nice for Disney. Low cost advertising of the best kind.

That's just smart business in the social media age. Take a large under utilized workforce (upper middle class SAHMs) & utilize them as cheap labor for your brand. Perfect.

Many many large companies do this. It's smart & effective

If this actually surprises anyone here, I have some ocean front property I'd like to sell you, in Phoenix.

My only issue with this, is that if Disney is going to have people do this, they should give them a quick class on how to do it without being so overly, blantantly, painfully obvious about it. Teach these bloggers and posters to do this with some finesse. You can spot these people a mile away, and there are many people, myself included, that will immediately discount these people's "opinions" because of it. It's about the con, people. Do better.

They are required to mention in their blogs if Disney has paid their way to whatever it is they are reviewing. Not shady at all. Nothing secret about it.

Moms Panel is actually run by Disney. Different thing.

If this actually surprises anyone here, I have some ocean front property I'd like to sell you, in Phoenix.

My only issue with this, is that if Disney is going to have people do this, they should give them a quick class on how to do it without being so overly, blantantly, painfully obvious about it. Teach these bloggers and posters to do this with some finesse. You can spot these people a mile away, and there are many people, myself included, that will immediately discount these people's "opinions" because of it. It's about the con, people. Do better.

I agree with this so much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter