Disney Genie is launching Oct. 19 - Video DAS Registration rolled out 10/12/21

I hope it would include a way to note if you are using DAS and/or a wheelchair, maybe even if you are using a hearing or visual assistance device. But I wouldn't expect much more with respect to specific disabilities for customization because so much of that is very personal. What I've read sounds more like it will suggest a touring plan -- which attractions in what order.

That's what I would expect, too, and the touring plans through various websites never take us into account either - unless you request a special, customized one or something. The DAS should be noted in the app anyway because that's where you pick times from, but I don't know whether it will link up in that way beyond telling us "you can go to [x ride] now." Again, I doubt it will even have a place to note/consider wheelchairs or other devices because the expectation is that once we have a device (be it for mobility or visual assistance) that we don't need anything else. Which is sometimes more true than others.

They are calling it a "Personalized Day Optimizer" and I would expect it to be somewhat basic in customization.

The things I expect you can add include:
  • number of people in your party and ages (it may pull-in that info from MDE anyway)
  • arrival time at the park
  • length of day
  • favorite attractions or your party's must-do list
  • any ADR's you have scheduled
  • whether you purchased Genie+ and/or Individual Attractions
  • whether you plan to hop that day
I hope it would include a way to note if you are using DAS and/or a wheelchair, maybe even if you are using a hearing or visual assistance device. But I wouldn't expect much more with respect to specific disabilities for customization because so much of that is very personal. What I've read sounds more like it will suggest a touring plan -- which attractions in what order.
I would expect it to have at bare minimum the features of TouringPlans, which it seems to be a direct competitor to, it will be interesting to see which does a better job.

I would expect it to have at bare minimum the features of TouringPlans, which it seems to be a direct competitor to, it will be interesting to see which does a better job.
I don't use TouringPlans so I'm not particularly familiar with what customization they provide. Do they include things like avoiding dark rides for visually impaired? Or other disability needs? Years ago when I looked at it I don't recall much more than putting in your must-do attractions and ADRs, but it may have changed.

I don't use TouringPlans so I'm not particularly familiar with what customization they provide. Do they include things like avoiding dark rides for visually impaired? Or other disability needs? Years ago when I looked at it I don't recall much more than putting in your must-do attractions and ADRs, but it may have changed.
Unless it has changed since I used it last year, there are no disability related options in Touring Plans. You can add time slots for meals, breaks, etc., but I’m not aware of any disability-specific customizations.

As for Genie, while the app itself has to be accessible to the disabled, the plans it provides do not. The required accessibility is at the point of the attraction, not at the point of planning how or when you get there.

There's no law saying you have to use the app, so it doesn't have to be customizable for anyone. It does state that it will take your interests and other such info to come up with a plan, but you don't have to follow the plan at all. And for the PP who stated that dark rides don't work for them at night, then don't go on them at night. The plan Genie spits out isn't written in stone. If you pay to get LL access, there will be a timeframe to return, and choices, using the FP+ framework, from what I have read/seen.

You got it backwards - I can’t see in dark rides during the day. And thanks for the advice; I never would have thought of that myself.

The point of my post was that since Genie provides suggestions that are supposedly helpful to general audiences, it would be nice if those suggestions could be customized for special needs. You know, so it would be equally helpful for those of us who have special needs. Nobody suggested it HAD to do so, so you’re (pretty condescendingly) arguing with a strawman.

You know, I expect able-bodied people to sneer and make light of issues that aren’t of any concern to them, but it stings when other people with disabilities do it. If you believe that strongly that it’s a question that doesn’t merit any discussion, then why chime in at all?

Last edited:
To be fair, the way you wrote it initially did make it sound like a suggestion to go on a dark ride after dark would be useless to you.

I wrote, “Like, there’s no point in Genie suggesting I go on dark rides until after dark.” The word “until” is key.

I wrote, “Like, there’s no point in Genie suggesting I go on dark rides until after dark.” The word “until” is key.

Yes, until is key, but it can certainly be interpreted in two different ways, as it obviously was by at least two other readers.

Only one person mentioned it at all - the person I quoted.
I read it the same that poster read it, and it was only after your reply to her throat I was able to figure out what you meant

Either way, it’s a moot point…there is no way that Disney could make it customizable to the point that everyone with a disability would get exactly what they’re looking for .

No, but you can adjust the amount of walking vs. waiting and a few others, that was my point, I think you will see the same level of customization, as this service is quite squarely aimed at eliminating TouringPlans, so much so, that I think TouringPlans could have a good case for a lawsuit against Disney based on all that I have seen, but that's for their lawyers to determine, not me.

There was a video from Disney regarding the new Genie+ that said there would be options to tweak your recommendations based on height requirements and disabilities. I anticipate it will be pretty basic, because Disney has taught me I'm happier if I go in with low expectations.

Edit: It was this video -

Being confirmed now that DAS in-App also launching on Oct 19th.
Just the booking of return times or are they also launching the virtual DAS application process?
I would not consider it confirmed at this point.
I have read posts from people on various forums/Facebook (including the shall not be mentioned website) that Guest Relations CMs have confirmed specific dates for being able to make/modify DAS Return Times anywhere from October 19 to a week after to 2 weeks before Thanksgiving to 2 weeks before Christmas.

All the information I’ve read about the video DAS application process has pointed to it not beginning at the same time as DAS Return Times in the app.

There was a video from Disney regarding the new Genie+ that said there would be options to tweak your recommendations based on height requirements and disabilities. I anticipate it will be pretty basic, because Disney has taught me I'm happier if I go in with low expectations.

Edit: It was this video -
My guess is that the disability Information will be ported from the information already on the WDW and DL Disabilities Pages for different disabilities
For Example:
- the Mobility page categorizes attractions based on being able to stay in wheelchair, transfer required, etc.

- the Hearing Disabilities page categorizes based on availability of Assistive Listening Devices, Handheld Captioning, video captioning and Sign Language Interpretation

- the Service Dog page categorizes based on whether the dog can go on the attraction or not

It appears the Video Chat is now available!
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/disability-access-service/register/

Ready to Chat with a Cast Member?
When you’re ready to chat with a Cast Member to register for DAS, you can engage in a live video chat using the “Request Live Video Chat” button below.
Make sure the device has a working camera and a microphone. You must review and accept the Terms & Conditions before requesting a live video chat.

Other Important Things to Note
  • Live chat is available from 7:00 AM – 11:00 PM Eastern Time.
  • The recording of this video chat is not permitted.
  • The Guest requesting DAS (or their parent/guardian) must be 18 years of age or older to register. The Guest requesting to use DAS must be present during the video call.
  • If you've not logged in to your Disney account, you'll be prompted to log in. If you don’t have a Disney account, you’ll need to create one before continuing.
  • Video chat is screen reader-friendly for Guests with visual disabilities and available with text chat for Guests with hearing disabilities.
  • At this time, live chat is offered in English only.

Experiences available for the Advanced Planning:

Q. What attractions are available for Guests using the Disability Access Service (DAS) Advance planning option?

A. After you’ve registered for DAS, a Cast Member will assist you in booking up to 2 one-hour return windows per day for select experiences. Experiences may include:

Magic Kingdom Park
  • The Barnstormer
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
  • Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
  • Dumbo the Flying Elephant
  • Haunted Mansion
  • "it's a small world"
  • Jungle Cruise
  • Mad Tea Party
  • The Magic Carpets of Aladdin
  • The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
  • Mickey's PhilharMagic
  • Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor
  • Peter Pan's Flight
  • Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Splash Mountain
  • Tomorrowland Speedway
  • Under the Sea ~ Journey of The Little Mermaid
EPCOT
  • Disney and Pixar Short Film Festival
  • Journey Into Imagination With Figment
  • Living with the Land
  • Mission: SPACE
  • The Seas with Nemo & Friends
  • Soarin' Around the World
  • Spaceship Earth
  • Test Track
  • Turtle Talk With Crush
Disney’s Hollywood Studios
  • Alien Swirling Saucers
  • Beauty & The Beast Live on Stage
  • Disney Junior Play & Dance!
  • For the First Time in Forever: A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration
  • Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run
  • Muppet*Vision 3D
  • Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
  • Slinky Dog Dash
  • Star Tours – The Adventures Continue
  • The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™
  • Toy Story Mania!
Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park
  • The Animation Experience at Conservation Station
  • DINOSAUR
  • Feathered Friends in Flight!
  • Festival of the Lion King
  • It's Tough to be a Bug!
  • Kali River Rapids
  • Kilimanjaro Safaris
  • Na'vi River Journey
If an experience is available, you’ll be given a one-hour return window to redeem during the day of your visit. Any selections you make will appear as plans on the My Disney Experience app or on this website.

*Please note that attractions are subject to change and may not be available at all on the day of visit or at the time that you request. Availability can change throughout the day. To learn about any closures or long-term refurbishments, please view details about the attraction on our website or mobile app.

The in-app ability to get DAS Return Times is not yet active. Also note it says the return time will be comparable to the current standby wait -- no mention of the "minus 10 minutes" that has been standard.

Requesting Day-of-Visit DAS Return Times

On the day of your visit, there are currently 2 different ways to obtain a DAS return time: (1) visit an experience to get a return time from a Cast Member or (2) ask a Cast Member at any Guest Relations location to select a return time for you. The return time will be comparable to the current standby wait.

DAS Return Time Self-Selection Tool – Coming Soon
As technology has evolved, we are excited to announce that there will be new enhancements coming to the DAS program later this fall. These enhancements will be available to registered Guests using DAS and members of their party, and will include a new feature in the My Disney Experience app. This feature will allow Guests utilizing DAS to book, redeem, change or cancel DAS return times using the My Disney Experience app via a smart phone or other smart device.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter