Disney Fantasy - Mechanical issues 7/8/2019

yowcruiser

DIS Veteran
From a "cruising group"

"Due to a technical issue, the Disney Fantasy is sailing at a reduced rate of speed and it was necessary for us to modify your client's itinerary. The ship will now arrive in Cozumel tomorrow morning, with a call to Grand Cayman on Wednesday and Castaway Cay on Friday. Unfortunately, the ship will no longer be able to visit Falmouth, Jamaica.

Port fees for Falmouth, Jamaica will be refunded back to the original form of payment and any pre-reserved Port Adventures in Falmouth will automatically be removed and refunded. We are also working to accommodate Guests with pre-reserved Port Adventures in Cozumel and Grand Cayman.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. We are providing each stateroom with a $200 onboard credit, which will appear on client's folio by the end of the cruise, as well as a 20% discount on a future cruise.

To redeem the 20% future cruise discount, you may contact us between July 15, 2019, and September 15, 2019, at 407-566-7000 or 1-866-858-7416. Our onboard booking team is not able to facilitate this discount.... "

Any idea what the actual technical issue is?? Or what the effects for the next sailing will be? Probably too early to tell?

Hope people that booked excursions on their own can cancel them.

Any idea what the actual technical issue is?? Or what the effects for the next sailing will be? Probably too early to tell?

Information appears to be quite limited at this time. A few sites mentioning that the ship is running at 16.5kts which is about 75% of the regular cruising speed

We missed a port due to weather in 2018. We didn't get any OBC or discount for future cruise(I didn't expect to get anything). Just wondering if they usually give freebies when they miss a port due to mechanical problems?

Information appears to be quite limited at this time. A few sites mentioning that the ship is running at 16.5kts which is about 75% of the regular cruising speed
On the 8 night, people complained that the aft vibrations were worse than usual. We were forward, so that is second hand information.

I will say that we saw divers working on the ship at Castaway. Who knows. The 6 day immediately after us had no troubles.

We missed a port due to weather in 2018. We didn't get any OBC or discount for future cruise(I didn't expect to get anything). Just wondering if they usually give freebies when they miss a port due to mechanical problems?

Yes, these are completely different circumstances. If missed ports are due to weather issue, no compensation is owed nor is it normally given. If a cruise is altered due to mechanical issues, then the cruise lines will give some form of compensation for missed ports and altered itineraries.

On this one, they are not only missing ports, but part of the itinerary is shifting - with Cozumel and Grand Cayman being one day later than scheduled, and no guarantees that DCL will be able to offer all port adventures. Grand Cayman was skipped on a cruise in 2017 due to weather and all we got was indeed a refund of port fees

with the speed at 9 kts, Note this is my guess not hearing any thing official, is that one of the main screws/motors must be down.

Hope people that booked excursions on their own can cancel them.

This is why it's important to check cancellation policies before booking and getting information on how to request a refund or ensuring that they'll do it automatically when they know the ship won't be docking. Also important to find out what happens if they change the days on which they end up visiting the port in case they aren't able to accommodate your change in itinerary. Don't just assume all operators will refund or refund 100%.

We had a different experience with the Fantasy and weather. Fantasy skipped CC in order to head off Hurricane Sandy. Circled just off Cuba for a few hours. The captain then sailed right into the Hurricane. Main dining was a disaster and second seating was cancelled. Hung on all night in our staterooms as the ship was tossed in every direction. The ship was a total wreck inside from everything falling off walls, shelves, and displays toppled over. We were late arrive to PC because the Coast Guard had the port closed. Anyway, to make a long cruise short...... paying passengers were given 25% off next cruise or WDW stay for the inconvenience. DVC using points were given NOTHING for our inconvenience. Still torques me off.

Attachments

• Fantasy Hurricane Sandy.jpg
    Fantasy Hurricane Sandy.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 85
The knocking / vibration should be fixed. I’m sure it is causing unnecessary stress on other components.
This. So diappointing that the aft vibration issues on the Fantasy have been allowed to continue for years. This makes me a bit worried about the Fantasy cruise we have planned for June.

Last edited:
Sounds like a shafting/propeller issue. That's what causes such a significant vibration and the slow down. If it'd been a main engine issue causing a slowdown to 9 kts, Fantasy would have serious issues

My guess is they will also miss castaway cay. Doesn’t the ships usually have to run at top speed after castaway cay if going to port Canaveral the next day?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter