Disney eliminates outside vendor drop off/pickup services. Must meet vendor for drop off/pickup (mobility devices only so far it seems)

We’ve been a big fan of kingdom strollers and I guess I’ll be renting one tomorrow for our January trip. I get they service plenty of people who drive but if I were them I’d be establishing a kiosk or two at MCO. We typically have plans for arrival and departure day but now we’ll be coordinating stroller rental. We used to drive until Disney made it cheaper for us to fly.

I think it had more to do with DVC’s legal right to change the point charts in the manner that they did, rather than simply outrage on the part of DVC owners. I firmly believe that it was a retreat and regroup move, not a permanent reversal.
Absolutely, that can of worms will be re-opened.

May I ask which Amazon service you use? We've used Garden Grocer the last 3 trips but they do seem pricey. We need things like milk, water, juice, applesauce, muffins.... I have Amazon Prime and gift cards so hope to use "free money".
Amazon Prime now! I can’t always find everything but I can find something which will work. I mostly get the stuff listed and it has one of the lowest thresholds for free delivery. Now I’ll note I’ve done this with am arrival’s not afternoon but I’ve never had an issue with Availability of timing.

all- i can say is this. My wife needs an ecv as soon as she gets off the magical express, . our plane is usually a late day plane. Inability to get the scooter from bell services will be a problem for us.
I’m not trying to be rude here but I’d offer this suggestion. The hotels usually have a loaner chair. Schedule your pickup the following early morning after your arrival. How do you manage normal life without mobility aids? My mom uses a scooter in the park. My brothers in a manual wheelchair that I push so I know the reasoning people need assistance. Both could manage a night without either device if needed. In fact my brother wheeled a suitcase across Caribbean beach at 1am before we had his own chair once. We bought a used scooter from Buena Vista for my mom for $450 It’s doable to transport back and forth. Or rent in your local town and bring it. If it’s such a need for your wife maybe you should consider the same to avoid any issues in the future. I hope this didn’t come off snarky, but I really hope you figure out a solution.

I’m not trying to be rude here but I’d offer this suggestion. The hotels usually have a loaner chair. Schedule your pickup the following early morning after your arrival. How do you manage normal life without mobility aids? My mom uses a scooter in the park. My brothers in a manual wheelchair that I push so I know the reasoning people need assistance. Both could manage a night without either device if needed. In fact my brother wheeled a suitcase across Caribbean beach at 1am before we had his own chair once. We bought a used scooter from Buena Vista for my mom for $450 It’s doable to transport back and forth. Or rent in your local town and bring it. If it’s such a need for your wife maybe you should consider the same to avoid any issues in the future. I hope this didn’t come off snarky, but I really hope you figure out a solution.
It is never a good idea to make things more difficult for people with disabilities. What is a single mom with mobility issues and young children supposed to do? Is she just not supposed to take her kids anymore to Disney if she can’t guarantee when she will arrive or if she is unable to pay a premium for the ecv company Disney partners with?

The Disney resort hotels no longer have loaner wheelchairs available.

I guess there are just too many of them. They don’t have the space to store all these big ECV’s. I’ve seen 20 or 30 stored at resorts on the sidewalk by bell services. Seems to be a lot more people using these than in the past.
A big reason there are “too many” of them is because grandparents are often the ones paying for the trips or the ones that own the DVC they bought years ago.

I am ok with the changes. Our last few trips, the wait for bell services to come and pick up our bags was excessively long. Maybe now that the bell services staff doesn’t have to handle scooters and strollers, they can come up and handle luggage in a timely manner.
I doubt it will speed things up, they will instead reduce staffing at these positions since there will be less work, which will keep wait times either the same or slightly increase them.

It is never a good idea to make things more difficult for people with disabilities. What is a single mom with mobility issues and young children supposed to do? Is she just not supposed to take her kids anymore to Disney if she can’t guarantee when she will arrive or if she is unable to pay a premium for the ecv company Disney partners with?
When I can’t manage to push my brother in the chair his Disney days will be over since he can’t navigate the crowds in a ecv. I manage our trips alone most of the time, or If I’m not alone I have to manage him and my moms scooter on top of things. I push the chair and carry all our bags. You can ask for help. I’m just confused how some of these people manage in life fine with no aid but the minute they step on property they can’t walk a few hundred feet? If someone is really THAT unable to I get it but I struggle to believe it only applies at Disney. Disney has always gone above and beyond and honestly they can improve. But I don’t see this being the end all be all.

It’s been a solid 4 years since I’ve needed one so I’m sorry if I have outdated info. Perhaps with this change they will bring them back. I imagine they were mostly constrained on space with all the off site rentals. I think they could offer courtesy manual chairs as a middle ground (Similar to those offered at the parking lot) but only allow them to be used at the property. Put the obnoxious pole on it.

When I can’t manage to push my brother in the chair his Disney days will be over since he can’t navigate the crowds in a ecv. I manage our trips alone most of the time, or If I’m not alone I have to manage him and my moms scooter on top of things. I push the chair and carry all our bags. You can ask for help. I’m just confused how some of these people manage in life fine with no aid but the minute they step on property they can’t walk a few hundred feet? If someone is really THAT unable to I get it but I struggle to believe it only applies at Disney. Disney has always gone above and beyond and honestly they can improve. But I don’t see this being the end all be all.
First, going on a vacation is supposed to be an experience that is more than just managing. Second, people have made expensive decades long purchases at DVC thinking that the last thing Disney would do was to make it more difficult and more expensive for handicapped guest to vacation there.

Everything Disney did was completely legal and I am sure it looks great at first glance on the balance sheet. This is different than raising the price of snacks or charging a fee for after hour events. Legal is not the same thing as ethical and just crunching basic numbers doesn’t tell you the long term cost in customer goodwill.

Be careful Disney...be verra verra careful. Between the price increases, parking fees, outrageou tickets prices and every dang thing else, and now this...you are this close, this. close. to the tipping point for many of your long time loyal clients. You aren't the only game in town. We always use outside vendors for everything. Just one more straw to add to the camel's back. Sooo Close......
1000 times this. I totally agree.

At this point, one might as well stay off site at WDW, rent a car, and then you can have all of the deliveries to your hotel/resort that you want. AND lodging would be less expensive anyway with better accommodations for the money you're paying.

Or, better yet...go to Disneyland and stay at a hotel across the street from Disneyland. Fly into the Santa Ana airport and take a $40 cab ride to your hotel. No parking fees. 5-10 min walk to the Disneyland entrance if you stay somewhere on Harbor Blvd. You need an ECV delivered? Call Deckert's Medical Supply and they'll deliver it ahead of time to your hotel/motel. Stroller delivery? Anaheim City Strollers. All of those hotels will take deliveries of various sorts.

Rant incoming....

I've read all 5 pages now. And good Lord, enough is enough, Bob Chapek. Quit it already with the nickel & diming of Disney park guests. Seriously. Planning and managing a trip to WDW has now become so complicated that it's like planning the D-Day invasion of Normandy. Just bear with me on this for a sec. :)

This past spring, we took my MIL to Disneyland for a short 3-day visit. We stayed at the Park Vue Inn - a 5 min walk to the Esplanade (big open space in between the DCA & DL entrances). MIL had a handicapped accessible room on the 1st floor. And she arranged for an ECV to be waiting there at the hotel when she checked in. Like at any WDW resort (well, up until now), the ECV was basically waiting there when she checked in. It was great. SO convenient. My MIL has a hard enough time getting around now that there is literally no way that she could have joined us to go to dinner or anywhere that evening on arrival day if she didn't have that ECV or a wheelchair.

On another DL trip, a couple of days before our arrival at the DL hotel, I injured my foot doing yard work at home. I was able to hobble through the 1st day ok, but that evening, it was obvious that I was in a bad way. I was in a lot of pain and limping and hobbling around. The concierge downstairs at the DL hotel helped me rent an ECV from a local medical supply company. That totally saved the rest of my trip because the DL ECVs are not allowed to be taken over to the DL hotel. If this new WDW policy were to also apply to the DL on site resorts, then my trip would have been seriously screwed up. Yucko! No thank you!

So what if this was at WDW after this stupid policy goes into effect? What are our options? Well, not much really. Oh...but you can rent an ECV or wheelchair AT WDW...sure, but that's only AT each individual park and you can't take it on any of the transportation and you have to turn the ECV or wheelchair in at the park's main entrance at the end of your day. This won't work for a lot of disabled people.

Just think of the logistics of even getting from the check in desk at any of the WDW on site hotels to your room. In many cases, it can be a 1/4 mile walk. For somebody like my MIL, that's just not possible. So what's a guest to do?

I mean...think about it...what if your flight arrives late? Then you've missed your meet-the-wheelchair/ECV-delivery-person time, so you have to rearrange the meet time to pick up your disability transportation/mobility aid/device. What are you supposed to do in the meantime? I can just predict what Disney will do. An announcement about a new "service" where you can rent an ECV on site which you can take anywhere "on property" for the "low" price of $150/day. Well, forget it. In that case, I'll skip WDW altogether.

When you add that on top of all of the other complicated logistical decisions that you have to make in order to try to minimize having a lousy time waiting 1+ hour each time you want to go on a ride, well, it's just too much.
  • increases in ticket prices
  • on site hotel rates
  • the insanity of making ADRs for TS restaurants 6 months ahead of time.
  • don't get me started on having to reserve FPs. And heaven help you if somebody in your group actually wants to go on an attraction a 2nd time. Say your prayers because sometimes it'll take divine intervention to get another FP for that ride. Otherwise, it's a 90 min wait for you, kiddo.
  • Magical Express & luggage delivery logistics - think of the hassles you might have had getting your bags delivered to your room in the middle of the night.
  • You don't want to pay a small fortune for bottled water and you don't like drinking smelly pond water? Well, forget that now. Set aside time to meet the delivery person at the front reception/check in desk. And then figure out how you are going to haul your big delivery of groceries & bottled water to your room all by yourself. You know, since now you'll have to pay a fee for Bell Services to haul it for you the 1/4 mile to your room. Gee, a rental car would work out great for that...but you now get charged $25/day to park as a guest in that on site hotel. Might as well just forget all that and stay at a fancy resort off site and save yourself an arm and a leg instead.
  • Check in process - sometimes it can take forever. God forbid there's a problem with your room because then you basically have to go down to the check in desk to get it sorted out. But oh wait! You can't do that, can you, because you need a wheelchair or ECV and yours hasn't been delivered yet!
  • Memory Maker/Photo Pass - spend an arm and a leg for Photo Pass, but now they're replacing real live breathing PP photographers with automated cameras. FORGET IT! I'm not spending almost $200 for that! Forget it. I'll just use my iPhone for pictures.
  • And now...the icing on the cake...no more accepting any deliveries for you at your on site hotel. You have to be there to pick it up in person. All of the transportation logistics alone and getting your bags delivered to your room can take forever and now add this on top of it. I mean, holy cow, now you've practically got to plan an extra day or 2 ahead of time just to unpack from what feels like a major cross country move to WDW before you can actually go DO anything.
We were seriously considering another WDW trip in a couple of years. But now? I'm not so sure. Planning and going on a WDW vacation now feels a lot more like work than it does an actual vacation.

Disney is starting to make it pretty clear that they don't really care much anymore about their theme park customer base.

No absolute evidence that Disney is partnering with a single company. Or which company if it's accurate. Even less evidence that company will charge a premium.
I've read all 5 pages now. And good Lord, enough is enough, Bob Chapek. Quit it already with the nickel & diming of Disney park guests.
Changing a policy/practice is nickel-and-diming how? This change affects resort guests, not necessarily park guests.
If this new WDW policy were to also apply to the DL on site resorts, then my trip would have been seriously screwed up. Yucko
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a trolley car. If (big if) DisneyLand were to change its resort policies on this to match WDW, it would affect only the Disney-owned resorts. to the best of my knowledge, Park Vue Inn is not subject to Disney policies.
So what if this was at WDW after this stupid policy goes into effect? What are our options?
Bring your own (rental/owned/borrowed) equipment. Arrange to meet the vendor.
the insanity of making ADRs for TS restaurants 6 months ahead of time.
Available, not mandatory. Flexibility is key.
don't get me started on having to reserve FPs.
Available, not mandatory. Flexibility is key.
Check in process - sometimes it can take forever.
No. Check-in can't take forever. Forever doesn't mean longer than I want to wait. Forever means for all future times; always. Nobody who arrived yesterday is still standing in line, unable to check in - even 12+ hours later. I really wish people in general would stop using this word incorrectly.
Memory Maker/Photo Pass - spend an arm and a leg
Available, not mandatory. Disagreeing with changes is probably a good clue not to utilize or purchase a service
We were seriously considering another WDW trip in a couple of years. But now? I'm not so sure.
Glad you said this. Honestly, I was going to recommend it while reading through the post. Probably better to travel somewhere that you agree with the policies/practices. Definitely more relaxing.

Well this is just stinky! We don’t really use a stroller at home and definitely don’t use a double at home, our girls are 5 and 1, so renting and having the ability to grab it when we arrive is so nice! Even before the baby was born we rented a single and loved the convenience. It made things so easy and one less thing to travel with! Flying with kids is already a huge PITA!

My mom did 2 last trips with me before she past away and with out the EVC she wouldn’t have been able to come. To be honest the EVC one I see as a bigger issue, most people can deal for a little bit with out a stroller not always possible with the EVC.

However with all of that said no one else sees on October 1st there being a new item at check out would you like a stroller added to your reservation to be in your room when you check in? Same for EVC? Right after adding memory maker.

I think few people are renting Disney’s strollers and when you walk around the park look at the strollers they are almost all from rental companies more then 50% for sure.

It's only a matter of time in my opinion where Disney just rents strollers and scooters directly to you. Why should outside companies make the $ on this when Disney can and if Disney was to add this service they can control the size of the scooters and mobility equipment in the parks as well. Time will tell but I truly feel disney will offer this service directly themselves.

I guess there are just too many of them. They don’t have the space to store all these big ECV’s. I’ve seen 20 or 30 stored at resorts on the sidewalk by bell services. Seems to be a lot more people using these than in the past.

Well, as the baby boomers start aging, isn't there likely to be more people who need mobilty devices because a large group of people is aging at the same time?

I mentioned on another thread that I, personally, think Disney is setting itself up for a PR nightmare when they make it more difficult for people to get scooters or wheelchairs. Guests are going to take videos of how hard it is for their disabled or older family members. Those videos will go viral. Disney will look very bad.

Well, as the baby boomers start aging, isn't there likely to be more people who need mobilty devices because a large group of people is aging at the same time?

I mentioned on another thread that I, personally, think Disney is setting itself up for a PR nightmare when they make it more difficult for people to get scooters or wheelchairs. Guests are going to take videos of how hard it is for their disabled or older family members. Those videos will go viral. Disney will look very bad.

Nope, not even close. Again, Disney is not banning outside ecvs. Only telling guests they have to meet the vendor for pick up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter