Disney Dining Stinks!!!!

So using Concierge, I would think that Disney Restaurants save bookings for Concierge. It would be interesting to see, if you would gamble with your family trip... walk in at Disney restaurants and see if you could get a table.:flower3: I doubt it. :) The majority of the world does not use Concierge! I have read posts, where Concierge CM's will call the renter and see what all they can pre- book for them, is that true?

Even though we have DVC, whenever we wish to visit WDW we book conceirge so we can take advantage of all the extra help we receive for our ADR's and firework shows. For us it is still so worth it, just due to scheduling, timing and airfares.

Just be advised that you will be limited in your choices. For example on a Saturday in Mid May at Epcot Guest Services at 12:00 was full at almost every dinner spot for TS dining ( I think there were 2 restaurants with openings) and about 3/4 full in lunch openings for TS lunches (4 or so). That whole week, even though it was pretty slow for Disney I Could not get into Boma at a normal dinner time(5-8), nor could I get Chef Mickeys. Sure you can luck out and get an ADR, it will just be the exception rather than the rule. Things are only bound to be harder when it comes to peak season if it is hard at relatively slow times.

It's not a scare tactic, just helpful advice. If you want to eat at a certain spot on a certain day at a certain time, make an ADR. If not, then wing it and be happy where you end up.

So using Concierge, I would think that Disney Restaurants save bookings for Concierge. It would be interesting to see, if you would gamble with your family trip... walk in at Disney restaurants and see if you could get a table.:flower3: I doubt it. :) The majority of the world does not use Concierge! I have read posts, where Concierge CM's will call the renter and see what all they can pre- book for them, is that true?
Are you talking about the IPO Cast Members who make the ADR's ahead of time for Concierge guests before they arrive at WDW, or the Cast Members who work on the Club Level Floors in the Deluxe Resorts? We have only dealt with the Cast Members who work on the Club Level Floors and like I said before when we ask them for an ADR they look in computer and when they see times that are available, then they ask us what time we would like? So they have never had to call a restaurant and pull some strings or anything like that to get us an ADR.

We Don't Plan parks around the dining but we do plan our dining around where we will be that day! You can ck Disney's website and get the Parks calendar many months in advance then you will Know when the Extra Magic hours are and you can also make it fun by getting the kids involved way before your trip dates in picking where and when you go to each park. Then you call and make reservations for dining (Way Early)!! At any rate ITS A DISNEY VACATION!!! Have FUN!!!:goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes

For better or for worse, if one elects to eat on site (DDP or not) you have to plan for it, just like you plan what park to go to what day! I really don't get what the big deal is:confused: At any rate, you can call any time (yes, even the same day) and ask about reservations. I called a few weeks ago for the 1st week in Oct. and got everything I wanted; albeit, not lunch at noon or dinner at 7....but off times. Last March, I called for that day and got a seating at PTC in MGM and I felt lucky. Since I had failed to make an ADR for that day, I realized that I might have to make do with a CS meal.

Someone who goes to Disney without considering ADR's is the same person who goes and never makes it out of the MK--not realizing there's more to WDW than just the MK:wizard: :rolleyes:

Are you talking about the IPO Cast Members who make the ADR's ahead of time for Concierge guests before they arrive at WDW, or the Cast Members who work on the Club Level Floors in the Deluxe Resorts? We have only dealt with the Cast Members who work on the Club Level Floors and like I said before when we ask them for an ADR they look in computer and when they see times that are available, then they ask us what time we would like? So they have never had to call a restaurant and pull some strings or anything like that to get us an ADR.

I'm asking you about Concierge, I have never even considered spending the money to stay Concierge. I do own DVC, So now, that AKV's has Concierge, I am going to work hard to secure one of the limited reservations. Just looking at your trips coming for this year, are you telling me, that you are not going to secure any ADR's for Christmas?

Back to those, that don't plan... We own our own business, it is successful. Our Motto is: if you fail to plan, you plan to fail. This is in life... period. My husband said tonight, "why did I actually care if someone, that I was never going to meet, made a ADR or not," It is the fact, that some led others to believe, it is the Norm not to, It is the Norm to! People that travel to Disney, on a regular basis, have learned the system. We need not lead people astray.
How many people read these posts and never reply, but take what they learn and apply it to their trips? Hundreds... more?

Just looking at your trips coming for this year, are you telling me, that you are not going to secure any ADR's for Christmas?
Last December we went to WDW the exact same days we are going this December and we made a grand total of 0 ADR's and guess what, we did not go hungry. Most of the time we ate offsite and the times onsite we went to the Rainforest Cafe in Downtown Disney just by walking in and other times we went to various counter service locations.

So to answer your question I don't think we will make any ADR's for this December because we plan to do what we did last December. If for some reason there is a place in WDW we want to try then we will make the ADR's with the Polynesian Concierge Cast Members, because in the past when we have ADR's around Christmas we always got them at the last minute.

Last December we went to WDW the exact same days we are going this December and we made a grand total of 0 ADR's and guess what, we did not go hungry. Most of the time we ate offsite and the times onsite we went to the Rainforest Cafe in Downtown Disney just by walking in and other times we went to various counter service locations.

Then surely you did not have the DDP. :confused3 If anyone has the DDP, then I would highly encourage ADRs - at least for most of the days.

Then surely you did not have the DDP. :confused3 If anyone has the DDP, then I would highly encourage ADRs - at least for most of the days.
We have never purchased the DDP for two reasons. 1st We hate making ADR's 180 days away because we won't know until the actual day of where we want to eat. 2nd Since we will be getting Concierge service with all the foods that they offer, it's not worth it to get the DDP.

I think that how frequently you go to WDW may change your attitude in feeling the need to make ADRs - if I were able to go a few times a year, I don't think I would feel the urgency to make ADRs - especially for the whole trip, maybe a couple hard to get or new/fave places because you can always say, well maybe next time if you don't get lucky without the ADRs, because next time isn't that far away...but for people like me who only go every 3-5 years, we want to get the most out of every day because the trips are so few and far between. If I went often, then it wouldn't be that big a deal...We have gone twice and had ADRs for LeCellier both times and I have yet to eat there - in 2001, we could only get a late ADR and ended up cancelling because it was too late for our then preschoolers. Last November, I ended up getting very sick and missed the ADR, but the rest of the family really enjoyed it (I tried to get another ADR for while we were there, but they were booked solid)...so by the time we go back in probably 2010 and after 9 years, I will hopefully be lucky enough to finally try it and trust me, I will not leave it to chance...I will be making my ADR early.

Two very valid reasons for not doing the DDP. ::yes:: (Although we are still booking for our trip at the end of July and have not had much trouble getting what we want when we want it.)

But for those who DO have the DDP, I highly encourage doing ADRs.

Two very valid reasons for not doing the DDP. ::yes:: (Although we are still booking for our trip at the end of July and have not had much trouble getting what we want when we want it.)

But for those who DO have the DDP, I highly encourage doing ADRs.
I agree that those who do purchase the DDP, ADR's should be made. If someone did purchase the DDP then what's the point of using it if they did not make ADR's? Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't someone who did not make ADR's on the DDP be left to use their credits at counter service locations?

I always love to read the differing opinions on the Disney Dining Plan. I like the flexibility of not having to pull out my credit card for everything and I think the value is pretty decent. Truthfully, I really don't like making reservations but our next trip I'm "sucking it up" and making a couple. :)

I agree that those who do purchase the DDP, ADR's should be made. If someone did purchase the DDP then what's the point of using it if they did not make ADR's? Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't someone who did not make ADR's on the DDP be left to use their credits at counter service locations?

They would be left looking for the "scraps" of what restaurants and times were available. They would either have to CS it or have a very early or late dinner or a dinner at a place that wasn't their first choice.

If I had Concierge level I would not do the dining plan either, waste of money like you said. If you have the dining plan, make tentative ADR's at the very least, that way you always have somewhere to dine where it is your choice. If you decide to dine elsewhere you have that flexibility as well. To me, that is the best solution to the problem of overcrowded Park restaurants.

Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't someone who did not make ADR's on the DDP be left to use their credits at counter service locations?

There is absolutely no guarantee that you can use Table Service Credits at Counter Service places. Disney offered this last year during Free Dining at several places (like the Pop Food Court) where people supposedly got a stepped up counter service meal in exchange for a table service credit.

But if people use TS credits for CS (if it WAS permitted) then there is no way that they could get the full value of the plan. IMO, they would be losing money. So it only makes sense that those who have the DDP plan ahead so that they can make wise use of their credits.

There is absolutely no guarantee that you can use Table Service Credits at Counter Service places. .

Sorry, but for the past 4 years this was not a problem at all. They have always allowed CS in place of TS. Why wouldn't they? You can't just lose a meal ticket because you couln't get into a nicer place. :thumbsup2

Sure you can (lose out on using credits if you can't get into any table service restaurant; or if you only eat one meal a day so end your trip with a dozen counter service credits; or just don't use all your snack credits; or any combination of the above).

Just for general information, the Disney Dining Plan in its current incarnation - one Snack credit, one Counter/Quick Service credit, one Table Service credit per person per night of the Disney vacation - started January 2, 2005, so whatever happened during the nineteen months before that has no bearing on the DDP. Plus, the only time TS credits were officially able to be used for Counter Service was during the 2006 Free DDP promotion period. Sure, there have been reports of Guests being permitted to use TS credits in their resorts' food courts, but that's based on decisions made by the individual resort management, not official policy.

Concierge level guests can generally use their concierge to get "hard to get" last minute ADR's.

Otherwise guests who want to dine at popular restaurants like Chef Mickey's and Le Cellier need an ADR even if they're not on the plan.

DDP guests who don't have an ADR can just ask what restaurant's have availability. Theme park restaurants may be booked but restaurants like Yacht Club Gallery, Kona and Mayan (CSR) may be available on short notice. Restaurants like WCC and Boma are known to accommodate walk ups who get there when the restaurant opens.

Sorry, but for the past 4 years this was not a problem at all. They have always allowed CS in place of TS. Why wouldn't they? You can't just lose a meal ticket because you couln't get into a nicer place. :thumbsup2

They actually told us we could not do this in Norway. That was this past Dec.
Heidi

They actually told us we could not do this in Norway. That was this past Dec.
Heidi

The only way I have ever heard of to swap ts credits for cs ones is to have your resort do it for you. They must make the adjustment. You cannot go up to a cs place and have them swapped. They don't have the capability to do this at the registers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter