• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Dining Stinks!!!!

I won't use the dining plan, even when it's free. I'll take my chances on a walk up table service resturant, but if I can't get in, that's fine too! The counter service meals are fine for us!

Does this mean if you get a Table Service or walk up to counter service, you would pay for it instead of getting it for free?:confused:

So I get this straight... You made last minute ADR's yourself... or you didn't make any ADR's... or you had Concierge make last minute ADR's for you... and on this trip you are not going to make any, but you still think you'll be OK and maybe at the last minute you'll have Concierge make some for you because it's always worked for you in the past. All replies are totally different but in this same thread.

Some people do not drive to WDW, do not rent cars, do not want to go offsite to visit the Golden Corral because of prior poor planning, or have access to pretzels and beer in the Concierge Lounge in case they can't eat at a TS place.

You state that making last minute ADR's works for you, and always works for you. To suggest such a thing to a DDP guest could result in disaster, and is bad advice.
On previous trips we have made last minute ADR's and on other trips we have not made any ADR's. As of right now I don't see us making any ADR's for our trip and August, however if we change our minds to try a restaurant in WDW we will ask the Cast Members on the Atrium Club to make the ADR. If it turns out we can't get the ADR we won't be disappointed because from the start we never expected to eat at any WDW restaurant where you need to make an ADR.

Finally I posted my reply from before where if a family purchases the DDP that they should make their ADR's in advance, because if they don't then what is the purpose of using it?

So once again I never stated to anyone else on this thread that they should make their ADR's at the last minute. All I said was that has worked out for my family and I, so if it works for us only then I don't see a problem here.

All I said was that has worked out for my family and I, so if it works for us only then I don't see a problem here.

As many posters have already suggested, even WAY back on Page 2, your parents story is not relevant to the thread as you were not DDP guests. Your parents were paying big big $$$$ for you to stay at Atrium Club so you could eat "free" snacks, plus you always had the backup option of the Golden Corral. Most DDP guests do not have the means (or desire!) to replicate your particular scenario.

To state that zero, or even last minute ADR's have always worked for you in the past and will work for you in the future paints a false image to ANY guest (regardless if DDP or not) who came into this thread wondering if zero or last minute ADR's are good enough for TS locations.

Like Kimberh said, I'm done on this thread... I'm not going to get bad boy points by arguing with you.

Last minute or zero ADR's simply do not work for a vast, vast majority of guests, even though that method has always worked for your non-DDP family because you had other backup options at your disposal.

I won't use the dining plan said:
I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS. YOU WILL BE EATING ATLEAST ONE MORSEL OR DRINKING ONE DRINK WHILE IN THE PARKS RIGHT?? SO WHY NOT USE THE PLAN?!?!??!!?!?!?!?!?! I don't understand why some people have to totally trash a good thing. FREE IS FREE!!

AND REMEMBER_
If you fail to plan you plan to fail

As many posters have already suggested, even WAY back on Page 2, your parents story is not relevant to the thread as you were not DDP guests. Your parents were paying big big $$$$ for you to stay at Atrium Club so you could eat "free" snacks, plus you always had the backup option of the Golden Corral. Most DDP guests do not have the means (or desire!) to replicate your particular scenario.

To state that zero, or even last minute ADR's have always worked for you in the past and will work for you in the future paints a false image to ANY guest (regardless if DDP or not) who came into this thread wondering if zero or last minute ADR's are good enough for TS locations.

Like Kimberh said, I'm done on this thread... I'm not going to get bad boy points by arguing with you.

Last minute or zero ADR's simply do not work for a vast, vast majority of guests, even though that method has always worked for your non-DDP family because you had other backup options at your disposal.
If you that way then there is nothing I can say to change your mind. What I will say is that it was not fair to accuse me of saying to everyone to make their ADR's at the last minute, when I never said that anywhere in this whole thread.

Anyone who tries to engage in a debate with a child should learn to use some of the helpful features of the DISboards. One of the people here is a kid.

Is the glass half full or half empty?

A person without an advanced ADR would have been able to get a same day ADR at 2 restaurants for dinner and the majority of restaurants for lunch without having to leave EPCOT Le Cellier and Chef Mickey's were impossible last minute ADRs prior to the dining plan.

I agree guests should book advanced ADRs, to get their first choice but it's not fair to say guests who don't get ADRs in advance will get stuck with CS meals.

Just be advised that you will be limited in your choices. For example on a Saturday in Mid May at Epcot Guest Services at 12:00 was full at almost every dinner spot for TS dining ( I think there were 2 restaurants with openings) and about 3/4 full in lunch openings for TS lunches (4 or so). That whole week, even though it was pretty slow for Disney I Could not get into Boma at a normal dinner time(5-8), nor could I get Chef Mickeys. Sure you can luck out and get an ADR, it will just be the exception rather than the rule. Things are only bound to be harder when it comes to peak season if it is hard at relatively slow times.

It's not a scare tactic, just helpful advice. If you want to eat at a certain spot on a certain day at a certain time, make an ADR. If not, then wing it and be happy where you end up.

I agree guests should book advanced ADRs, to get their first choice but it's not fair to say guests who don't get ADRs in advance will get stuck with CS meals.
I agree that it's not a fair thing to say because if some guests had to get a CS meal, there are some good places in WDW which have a wide variety on thier menus. Two places that come to mind is Earl of Sandwich and Wolfgang Pucks Express in Downtown Disney. They are not your standard Cheeseburger and Hot Dog place, because their menus offer a lot more then that.

My point was guests can generally get a last minute ADR if they're flexible. I'm thinking of restaurants like Spoodles, Yacht Club Gallery, even the micro-brewery at the Boardwalk. Even Chefs de France is frequently has ADRs available on short notice.

Guests looking to "stretch" a CS credit should consider the Pepper Market (CSR) or the food court in the Land.

I agree that it's not a fair thing to say because if some guests had to get a CS meal, there are some good places in WDW which have a wide variety on thier menus. Two places that come to mind is Earl of Sandwich and Wolfgang Pucks Express in Downtown Disney. They are not your standard Cheeseburger and Hot Dog place, because their menus offer a lot more then that.

We called all month for a Boma ADR all week during Memorial Day and couldnt get one. Then at 2pm the same day we got one for 5pm.

Im wondering if they may not hold a couple back.

On our first trip I had asked IPO at AKL to make our ADR's. The concierge explained how the process worked, and I think I remember her telling me that some are opened at different stages, the last as late as 3 days out. My memory is a bit hazy but I left that conversation thinking that the restaurants do not open them all up at one time.

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS. YOU WILL BE EATING ATLEAST ONE MORSEL OR DRINKING ONE DRINK WHILE IN THE PARKS RIGHT?? SO WHY NOT USE THE PLAN?!?!??!!?!?!?!?!?! I don't understand why some people have to totally trash a good thing. FREE IS FREE!!

AND REMEMBER_
If you fail to plan you plan to fail

Free is not free when you have to book a package and stay onsite. I know I'll eat a meal, some drinks and some snacks in WDW during our Sept trip (which coincides with free DDP), but I'm using a bonus week at my timeshare. Free! There's no way I'd give up seven nights free in a three-bedroom condo to have to pack rack rates (or even AAA rates) for a WDW hotel -- and then have to buy another park ticket, in addition to the AP I just bought last month, to even qualify for the "free" DDP.

So it isn't a matter of just, "If you're going to eat at WDW, use the plan." Free is definitely not free. If you'd be staying onsite anyway and it works with your dining style, it's a great option. But if you prefer to stay offsite, it really doesn't make financial sense.

I am not sure if this is mentioned but October is a much lighter month at Disney then Memorial Day weekend.

Also, everyone thought Disney was crazy offering free dining the past few Septembers but I think prior to that, their restaurants (besides main character meals) were having a hard time getting clients in. Now that the dining plan has been out a few years and people have had a taste for it, more people will not only pay for the dining plan but also still eat at some favorites even if they didn't purchase the dining plan.

I understand not wanting to plan every nook and cranny of a vacation and sometimes people say I am crazy for overplanning WDW but in the end my husband especially thanks me for it. Disney peak season - everything is packed and with the dining plan, so will the restaurants now. You just have to get used to it from here on out.

My point was guests can generally get a last minute ADR if they're flexible. I'm thinking of restaurants like Spoodles, Yacht Club Gallery, even the micro-brewery at the Boardwalk. Even Chefs de France is frequently has ADRs available on short notice.

Guests looking to "stretch" a CS credit should consider the Pepper Market (CSR) or the food court in the Land.

An acquaintance of mine was at Disney over Memorial Day. She did not know about the DDP or about ADR's so she had none. I thought that her family would starve.;). They had dinner at WCC and Artists point. I don't know where else. I'm sure that they had more CS than I like but they came home with wonderful trip memories of Disney.

While this doesn't work for my family, I think it can be done.

While we just tried the dining plan for the first time..and loved it. I wouldn't consider going during the so called "free dining"...we actually cancelled our trip for this time period last year..as I didn't make ADR's 6 mos. out, (and nothing we wanted was available at 3 months out). Also...we were supposed to stay at a Deluxe on site resort...and the dining isn't as "free"...if you are paying full rack rate for the rooms. (We had two). So...we rescheduled for May...got a discount pin mailer...and then added the dining paying the $40.00 per person, per day...and it was GREAT! First time using it..and my family LOVED it! For the sheer convenience of it alone, my husband enjoyed not having to open his wallet and the kids(all adults on the plan) loved being able to order whatever they wanted. We did do some planing and secured ADR's ....but because it wasn't during a "free" dining prom...I didn't have to do it 6 months out..., and we pretty much got whatever we wanted. For me...and I'm just speaking for myself, it was alot less stressful to plan for a trip when it wasn't during a free dining promo, as we had more options and time slots available to us. Even there in May...I did see people turned away from restaurants without them, and yet we did also make changes while we were there...but that's a crap shoot. If you are willing to eat wherever they can fit you in during a free dining promotion, then I guess you could just wing it..but frankly, I'd find that more stressful, than doing a bit of planning. I mean I don't plan every morsel of food that goes into our mouths...but planing at least one table servic meal a day..wasn't a big deal. You are talking 7 reservations..if you keep them fine..if you don't..you don't. You can always cancel. I have been going with our family to Disney since '91...and never thought I'd be a "fan of the Plan"...but I have to admit..it was a good value for our group...and really took a minimal amount of planing. With the popularity of the Dining Plan, I would recommend to anyone going to Disney..whether they are using the plan or not..to book some ADR's..and if you keep them fine..if not..just cancel.

Plutoluver:
I know you are going to have a great Disney off site vacation!! :goodvibes My family and I have had many wonderful Disney vacations in a Timeshare Condo, BUT it wasn't FREE:mad: we had to pay monthly payments on the purchase of the time share and we had to pay annual maintenance fees and housekeeping fees while we where their!! We started staying on property about 8 yrs ago (this is our 17th trip as a family:dance3: , although some of us weren't born during all of them and some of us had a free ride in their mommy's belly) we sold our time share and paid for 2 trips and we have LOVED staying in the Kingdom:cool1: :cool1: This year and last we are staying in sept under the free DDP and only had a problem with 1 restaurant Le Celier we got all the other TS's we wanted we are staying 9:banana: nights @POR as we did last year and with a 10 day park hopper for 4adults(as Disney says 10 & up are adults)and 1 kid and DDP our vacation is a whopping $2795 :banana: :banana: :banana: where else could you go for that time with free meals and stay!!! by the way we are having 3 character breakfasts and eating at the Coral Reef, Le Celier, Narcoosee's Wolf Gang Pucks, Brown Derby & Mitsokushi holy cow we are going to be FAT! Good luck on your trip have a great time :woohoo:

Free is not free when you have to book a package and stay onsite. I know I'll eat a meal, some drinks and some snacks in WDW during our Sept trip (which coincides with free DDP), but I'm using a bonus week at my timeshare. Free! There's no way I'd give up seven nights free in a three-bedroom condo to have to pack rack rates (or even AAA rates) for a WDW hotel -- and then have to buy another park ticket, in addition to the AP I just bought last month, to even qualify for the "free" DDP.

So it isn't a matter of just, "If you're going to eat at WDW, use the plan." Free is definitely not free. If you'd be staying onsite anyway and it works with your dining style, it's a great option. But if you prefer to stay offsite, it really doesn't make financial sense.

Your not even eligible for free dining anyway! So why would someone bash something they can't even get? I don't understand why there has to be comments made about free dining or the dining plan by people who aren't eligible. It's just a mut point

Most of the DDP bashing is from a handful of posters that don't like the fact that they can no longer get last minute ADRs. They don't like having to share "their" restaurants with:

sloppily dressed patrons and tired, bored and noisy kids

The biggest bashers are from people who aren't eligible for the dining plan.

Your not even eligible for free dining anyway! So why would someone bash something they can't even get? I don't understand why there has to be comments made about free dining or the dining plan by people who aren't eligible. It's just a mut point

Um, excuse me, but if you'll read BOTH of my posts on this thread (including No. 49), you'll see that in no way have I bashed the DDP. I responded to the OP in post 49 sympathizing about the ADR situation, how it doesn't matter if you're on the DDP or not, you still have to make ADRs if you have a "must-do," and wishing her well that anything she feels she has to settle on will end up being a future must-do gem for her family.

My post this morning simply brought up the fact that during the hurricane months, the DDP is not free. Jesus. I even said in my last paragraph it's a GREAT OPTION if it fits your dining style and you'd be staying onsite anyway.

I could really care less about the DDP thread. No, I'm not eligible this trip, but, face it, we all eat or drink at some point on property. Plus, I posted when this thread first came up, a supportive post for the OP (read it why don't you?) -- which only pointed out the importance of ADRs with or without the plan -- and I keep getting email notifications every time there's a new post.

Like you, I'm confused by posters who are so quick to jump the gun and see only what they want to in any given post. It's really mut -- or moot.

I LOVE the dining plan and will enjoy it free for the 3rd time this Sept. We are able to eat at places we normally could not afford. The only restaurant I had trouble getting was Le Cellier and with flexibility were able to make our ADR. We were even able to make last minute changes while on property last Sept. Without the dining plan, we would eat a sit down meal once or twice for our entire trip. With the dining plan, we enjoy a worry free 10 day vacation and don't have to constantly say No to our kids.

Saying all that, I can understand how those who can afford those meals without the dining plan might feel resentful if restaurants are harder to get into. I haven't been going to Disney in a big way for enough years to know how big the difference is, but I'm guessing that meals take much more planning now. If I was a little wealthier, I might resent that too. (Although I do so enjoy the planning! :banana: )

Like everything else, I guess its a matter of perspective. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter