Disney dining buddy shut down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We do sitdown meals for dinner almost every night when in WDW, and usually sprinkle in a couple of TS breakfast as well.

If it's treated as a deposit...where that $25.00 comes off the bill (or, if I'm on the dining plan and not paying OOP, it can become a resort credit), I have no problem with it at all.

When I make a reservation - I keep it and show up. So I have no worries.

I wouldn't be surprised if the percentage of all the ADRs that are out there from today to 180 days from now, where the party holding the ADR doesn't ultimately attend what is reserved (because they flat-out cancel, or change to something else, or no-show) was something significant like 30-40%. You don't want people making ADRs "just in case" they may want to eat at that restaurant at that time. They only should be made when you are certain that's the reservation you want.

You have a very different relationship with your money, 6 months out, than I do. That's for sure.

It doesn't matter if a person is going to keep them, in regards to a fee like that. And of course it would be a deposit/partial payment. What matters is the tying up of money 180 days out.

I am sorry to see them DDB shut down. I used it to get a couple ADRs for our trip. I am a teacher - I can't be on the computer during the day searching for ADRs. It was well worth $8 to get harder to get ones.

Most teachers aren't in session over the summer.... (Former teacher here, kinda know how it works)

You have a very different relationship with your money, 6 months out, than I do. That's for sure.

It doesn't matter if a person is going to keep them, in regards to a fee like that. And of course it would be a deposit/partial payment. What matters is the tying up of money 180 days out.

Everyone plans differently. No need to argue over that. We all have different jobs and circumstances within our lives that let us either have very little extra money or an abundance of it. However you choose to spend your money is up to you (ie: to each their own).

Sure that matters. That's what determines if you lose that money or not (I'm going under the assumption it's non-refundable if you flat-out cancel, but can be transferred to a different reservation if the cancellation/new booking are done simultaneously).

The idea is to eliminate all the "speculative" type of reservations. Whether it's the people booking 4 dinners on the same night (of which they'll obviously have to eventually cancel at least 3), or the people making ADRs even though they don't even have anything else (room, flights, tickets, etc.) booked yet because it's only 50/50 at best they'll even go to WDW at all. Things of that nature. That would free up soooo much availability.

How about charging $25 to cancel or change the reservation? That'd stop hoarding REAL quick. (Reserve all you want but be sure to use all you reserve! :D )

Question for those of you who have used the notification services...did they just notify you once? So say if you wanted a BOG 6pm on whatever date, and they notify you it's available, but by the time you get to go into the system, it's gone. Do you have to pay again to get another notification?

I normally do everything myself. DS starting asking over and over to eat dinner with the Beast at BOG. Of course I have booked that 4-5 times before and always cancelled. Now I am going during Free Dining, and between that and increasing crowds I was having NO luck. All hours I tried over and over, nothing. I decided to try WDW Table Finder. It was a single day, meal I was looking for so $7. In 48 hours I was notified of a 9 pm dinner so I booked it. A couple weeks later they offered me a 4 pm dinner, so I booked it. Note that the Disney system DID NOT tell me there was a conflict. Waiting to hear if my DD was joining us before I cancelled and tried for new number of guests, I get another notification that a 6:30 came available. Booked it. Disney MDE shows I have 3 dinners on the same night at the same restaurant. Talk about software issues. I immediately cancelled two of them. A few hours later I get notice that another was available but kept my 6:30. All this for one charge of $7.

Hate the scalpers who book and resell, but to me these notification services are no different than a concierge service or travel agent willing to let me know if something is available. It's up to me to grab it. Disney attendance is way up, they sell the DDP hard and offer Free Dining - without the capacity to handle it. Are there a few hoarders? yes. But I think at 60 days when most are booking FP+ (yup Disney created this problem too) and finally know where they will be, they release most. The real problem is supply and demand for seats at a table service restaurant. I have no grudge for folks who need some help in their day for a notification on important ones.

That said last night just a few weeks out I got a California Grill DURING HalloWishes on my own! :cool1:

Last edited:
I am glad they are shutting these sites down, and I used one last week. I made a BOG ADR at 180 days and scheduled my MK day around the ressie. Well 3 weeks ago, I found out my cousin would be in Orlando for 4 days of our vacation so I figured we could meet up for dinner. I called to add here to our reservation and....nothing. No availability. For 2 weeks I called a couple of times a day and logged on 3-4 times and still nothing. As much as I didn't want to, I signed up for DDB for the $8. Within 24 hours I got a notification but it was gone. About an hour later I got another notification and was able to grab the reservation...and at which time I cancelled my original ADR for 2. Now even though I had a good experience, I feel I had to use DDB, because of DDB. If there wasn't a site out there notifying 100 people of an ADR opening, I think it would be easier for anyone to call up and have a better chance of snagging it. And I know this is a small part of the problem, but it is a start. The scampers and hoarders need to be stopped.
Now the other thing....I just got this new ADR 2 days ago and I never notified them via email that I booked it, so now they are going to refund me as well. Should I try to reply to the email now, or take the credit?

Thanks to these stupid services I'm fairly certain we are going to see another "premium add-on" service offered by Disney to do what these services were. Dang it.

You made a conscious decision to purchase the services of a company who provided the services requested of them. You should let them know you got their ADR and not accept the refund.
I agree. The reason I didn't reply is because I still wanted to get the notifications in hopes that I would. Get a better time slot, which now I can't get. (Notifications for anyway)

What I would PREFER they do is treat it like FP+ and open up dining reservations at 60 days out for those staying on-site and 30 days out for everyone else which would almost eliminate the need for these services AND open up slots for people just walking in off the street. It's silly that I have to make a Be Our Guest reservation for Christmas Week back in June when I'm not even sure I'll get the FPs until October!!!!

Be careful what you wish for. Think about that idea- giving that advantage to on-site customers certainly that would cause more people to stay onsite for at least part of their vacation, which means fuller resorts and therefore decreasing the need for RO discounts and FD offers. Am I wrong? Have more guests starting staying on-site with FP+? If not, adding ADRs to the bonus of on-site just might be enough to push more people to do it. Then we would hear all the complaints about lack of discounts.

I think part of the problem IMO is 180 days! I think people over book and hoard because they have no idea what they are doing 180 days out! FP is 60 (assuming on site), if they made ADRs 75 or 90 I think it would decrease some of the problem. I think after people book FP they change ADRs to match.

Also final payment is 45 days so that's 135 days someone could've unsure of there trip and hanging on to a bunch of reservations.

I think it would be a bad idea to open up ADRs and FP+ on the same day for on-site guests. That would be terrible! Up at midnight for FP+ then again at 6am (or 7am?) for ADRs? I know it's a choice but it will still be terrible to put people in that position.

Be careful what you wish for. Think about that idea- giving that advantage to on-site customers certainly that would cause more people to stay onsite for at least part of their vacation, which means fuller resorts and therefore decreasing the need for RO discounts and FD offers. Am I wrong? Have more guests starting staying on-site with FP+? If not, adding ADRs to the bonus of on-site just might be enough to push more people to do it. Then we would hear all the complaints about lack of discounts.

Smart words. People who feel like on site stayer should get all these discounts and benefits aren't looking at the big picture down the road and I don't think they are going to like what happens when the train gets to the station.

Sometimes its better to appreciate what you already have. When the "enticements" get to be too many, more people will want them. And when more people get them, they'll be taken away.

I think it would be a bad idea to open up ADRs and FP+ on the same day for on-site guests. That would be terrible! Up at midnight for FP+ then again at 6am (or 7am?) for ADRs? I know it's a choice but it will still be terrible to put people in that position.

Not suggesting the same day at all. But less then 120 gap, maybe ADRs 15 or 30 days before FP not 120.

Smart words. People who feel like on site stayer should get all these discounts and benefits aren't looking at the big picture down the road and I don't think they are going to like what happens when the train gets to the station.

Sometimes its better to appreciate what you already have. When the "enticements" get to be too many, more people will want them. And when more people get them, they'll be taken away.

Totally agree. They just released Chase Visa promos for the beginning of 2016 and my personal opinion is that they are trying to entice people who waiting for the HS remodel to be done to come back instead of waiting. But I strongly suspect that at least for a while after the majority of HS is dome there will be no discounts because Disney won't need them to put heads in beds, and people who feel entitled will scream. It always ticks me off when people post that they can't afford to go to Disney without a discount like its a constitutional right or something. I can't afford a Tesla either, but I don't think Tesla owes me a discount so I can afford one.

That was really rude. Yes, I was off 6 weeks during the summer, but I subscribed to DDB before school let out in June to try and firm up my ADRs.

Not really. 6 weeks of availability on a daily basis to firm up everything... I think most everyone on here would love that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter