Disney Cruise Brides!!! Part Deux!!

Hi all,

Just thought I would introduce myself. We are getting married on the Disney Wonder sailing to Alaska from Vancouver, June 22, 2015.

Any info or tips from other DCL brides past or present, especially those who have had a Wonder wedding would be very welcome! thanks!

Ahhh! That's going to be lovely! We did the Alaska cruise this year and it was just so nice. What a better back drop for your pictures???!!! I think there is a past DCL bride who did hers on an Alaskan cruise on here. Maybe her name is Beth? I bet if you can find her, she'd give you all sorts of tips. =]

Welcome and congratulations, Pixarprincess7!

I was wondering what other brides plan to do about alcohol. I am torn between giving guests a stateroom credit and/or putting alcohol in gift bags. How much is enough?

Thanks!

I've seen many prior DCL brides say that the wedding coordinator suggest this as the best method/alternative to an "open bar" that you'd have at a land-based wedding. We toyed with this idea too but it sort of felt weird...like come to our wedding, here's $100 ...? So we just planned on picking up the tab where appropriate. I'm sure DCL can manage to put other people's bills on our stateroom account. Fingers xd.

I'm sure DCL can manage to put other people's bills on our stateroom account. Fingers xd.

They can. last time we were on vacation on the dream, my dad did this most of the time. Just make sure you have a conversation with your waiter/server at the beginning of the meals/bar trips that you plan to do this so they take your room key and charge it to you. otherwise it may get complicated after the fact.

They can. last time we were on vacation on the dream, my dad did this most of the time. Just make sure you have a conversation with your waiter/server at the beginning of the meals/bar trips that you plan to do this so they take your room key and charge it to you. otherwise it may get complicated after the fact.

We have also asked DCL about this.

Our DCL rep suggested that we just pick up the tab on the ship
While loading money on stateroom as credit before cruise is possible. Sometime Disney will refund the money as it's an accounting nightmare for them. At least that's what we have been told.

In addition, our rep said based on their experiences if you put a credit to everyone's room it can get confusing for the guest
Some guest won't use it...for what ever reason
Or they don't even know it's there etc

Side note if you have a large enough group you can host a private welcome party or other event
You have a buy a food and drink package to do so
However,you can get bar items as well

We are looking into doing this for our upcoming wedding cruise.
Think you need min if 25 guest as this is what Disney has worked out the food and drink prices...based on 25 guest

This private welcome party takes place at same time as the in deck sail away party.
But it's exclusively for your guest only and held in a private location. And appears to be the closets thing to an normal wedding open bar.
Not exactly necessary to do on the ship. As you can go out as a group and you pick up the tab.

However, if your looking to created that more intimate and private feel of a traditional reception open bar...the welcome party might be an good option for you.
Sadly it appears that Disney only likes to do this sort of event on embarkation day during the sail away party. Since majority of the guest will be on deck enjoying the party. Logistically it's easier then Disney having to close down an area to other guest during other sailing days. Since demand and guest traffic for all areas of the ship later on in the cruise is at high demand.

Sorry hit wrong button on ipad and posted too soon

You will really have to be persistent with Disney to do the private welcome party. As they try to discourage you from doing it.
As Disney does not like to close down any space on the ship...as it might affect other guests experience and cause backlash from non wedding guest. Since they are not allowed in that area.

We went back and forth with Disney on a variety of options and at first it was,like going full speed into a brick wall.
They very much like you to stick to the wedding package and not divert from it.
However, it really comes down to the fact that fairytale wedding department does not have access or ability in their computer system to do anything outside the package.
Due to unique nature of cruise ship everything is up to the captain and requires allot of detailed plaining with the actual ship.
Fairytale weddings really does not have much communication with the ship or their cast members. Two completely separate entities...which can cause some frustration when trying to go outside the package. As they don't really speak or deal with one another.

However, we have been able to work directly with the ship and we can tell you it's much easier and they're open to try new things.
We were asked to help with fairytale wedding website redesign and get our feedback on other things . As we expressed our frustration with the lack of information that was available on the old site.
Disney is looking into trying some new things and offering some different upgrades and so forth. Not really sure if these things will ever happen or not. But it's nice to know that they are looking into creating a better experience. At least when it comes to the ship based wedding events.
From what we have gathered from working with them...they get allot of negative feedback about the current cruise package offerings and the complete lack of customizing the event. Since all other Disney weddings have complete customization to your budget.

It's a bit more difficult to customize a cruise event...since your a floating vessel at sea...which has limited access to resources.
In addition, to how quick they have to turn over the cruises...makes it difficult for them to get things on and off ship. Since they turn over the ships within a matter of hours. The logistics for that alone are difficult...and that's all the same stuff on and off each time.
Thus why they have only offered the set packages and made them non customizable. Just too much hassle and logistics for them to set outside a standardized package

Though Disney is looking at creating a cruise weeding event that's more comparable to what other cruise lines are offering
As other cruise lines do offer a more traditional wedding event. So it's possible to do so at sea on a limited scale.

However, since we can't really spill the beans...and since it's not official that any change is going to be made to cruise events...we don't want to say much as there's a pretty good chance that anything we say won't happen.
Just note all the above is complete and utter "rumors"
Neither official or confirmed by Disney in any way.

As the thing we keep hearing from all Disney entities and departments is....they don't want to do anything that will disrupt, Interfere, upset any other cruise guest.
Since they have attempted this before...and the backlash from other cruise guest was so harsh and negative Disney felt it's not worth any amount of money to impact other onboard guest experience.

But really I think the biggest obstacle is Disney can't seam to coordinate or communicate between all it's different departments, entities, companies.

These are great ideas. I'll check out the drink prices in the dining room on our research cruise. By the way, we are going on a research cruise on the Disney Dream, September 3-7. Let me know if any of y'all will be on board.

Hey Everyone!
So I have a big question for past brides or present brides or anyone really who may know lol! So I was talking to the new DCL coordinator Kaitlyn about seating arrangements. I really want Royal court the night of the wedding and the ten top she let me know that's fine but that my guest won't be in the same area and some time ten tops are on their own? Now has anyone every sat a 10 top how close were your guest are they really far she said every restaurant is different so anyone who knows about royal court, animators palate and enchanted garden? Any help would be greatly appreciated as this has become the new wedding headache :sad2:

Hey Everyone!
So I have a big question for past brides or present brides or anyone really who may know lol! So I was talking to the new DCL coordinator Kaitlyn about seating arrangements. I really want Royal court the night of the wedding and the ten top she let me know that's fine but that my guest won't be in the same area and some time ten tops are on their own? Now has anyone every sat a 10 top how close were your guest are they really far she said every restaurant is different so anyone who knows about royal court, animators palate and enchanted garden? Any help would be greatly appreciated as this has become the new wedding headache :sad2:

Hi there …
Wow, another new coordinator? Where did Meredith go? (Sorry, haven't been on here in awhile!)

I was married on the Dream in April 2013. I had a bunch of things that went wrong and a lot of rude DCL cast members, etc. that I had to deal with. I requested the same table as you … I had it all set up, no problems with Meredith getting this for me. However, for some reason, the wait staff thought we would like to all sit together. They changed all the table arrangements and seated all of us together except for one table … and that one table was my husband's family! We had my side of the family, plus a group of friends sitting with us. I wasn't happy that they did this. This was just one of the many things that went wrong for us. I would just make sure that if you do get this reserved, just tell your onboard coordinator for the wait staff to NOT change the arrangements!

Welcome and congratulations, Pixarprincess7!

I was wondering what other brides plan to do about alcohol. I am torn between giving guests a stateroom credit and/or putting alcohol in gift bags. How much is enough?

Thanks!

Hi there …

I did stateroom credit and a gift bag. And my gift bags were delivered to the wrong rooms!!! It took until the last night of the cruise to find the bags!

Hi there …
Wow, another new coordinator? Where did Meredith go? (Sorry, haven't been on here in awhile!)

I was married on the Dream in April 2013. I had a bunch of things that went wrong and a lot of rude DCL cast members, etc. that I had to deal with. I requested the same table as you … I had it all set up, no problems with Meredith getting this for me. However, for some reason, the wait staff thought we would like to all sit together. They changed all the table arrangements and seated all of us together except for one table … and that one table was my husband's family! We had my side of the family, plus a group of friends sitting with us. I wasn't happy that they did this. This was just one of the many things that went wrong for us. I would just make sure that if you do get this reserved, just tell your onboard coordinator for the wait staff to NOT change the arrangements!

Hello!
Yes another coordinator they seem to change a lot, when I first read the boards I believe it was Shanda, then it was Meredith and now Kaitlyn and I am sure there were others before that!

That is so unfortunate about all that! That is my biggest fear that I will spend time on a seating chart with Kaitlyn and then it will not be followed, I was thinking during my meet and greet thing stressing it to the onboard coordinator to pass onto the dining team!

So you had the ten top or did they change that too and if so how close were your guest and how far was your one table and I hope that your guest weren't too upset by this and realized it was Disney mess up not yours!

Thank you for the information much appericated

Melissa

I love your favors your bags are so cute I love them! Here are some of my favors to share this was posted on my PJ as well :goodvibes
Wedding Favors:

So like many other DCL brides before me we have a lack of things we can make custom! So I am throwing myself into a lot of DIY wedding favor projects so first up is my pixie dust! I first saw this on Pinterest then on the DISboards and I just love the little whimsical touch so I had a $100.00 gift card at hobby lobby major score and I went and purchased little vials with cork toppers they were the cutest things ever , the only bummer was they were glass and I wanted plastic because I have to fly with them and then have them delivered so I would hate for them to break, but I am thinking of just wrapping them all up in bubble wrap and putting them in either mine or my bridesmaid carry on and then repacking them before I hand them over to be delivered on board (have any other brides done something similar to this?) So I also bought 5 different types of glitter to mix together to achieve my pixie dust, it was so much fun me and my bridesmaid sat on the patio mix everything together and then putting everything in the vials and corking them back up so without further ado my favorite part of PJ’s pictures!

001_zpsba171304.jpg

003_zps27bba11b.jpg

009_zps5af7f33f.jpg

010_zps5e49a295.jpg

Now all that is left with the pixie dust project is to add a tag with pixie dust I am in the debating stage of that of what kind of tag to add and what will look good (any suggestions?)

Now I also ordered my canvas tote bags, I went to cheaptotes.com I highly recommend this site, I ordered 20 tote bags for .89cents each can’t beat that and shipping was only 9.99 so a total of 27.79 for $20.00 tote bags or 1.39 per bag if you add shipping in and I ordered the bags on a Sunday and by Friday I received them so I can’t say enough about that, now with my hobby lobby gift card I also purchased some silk screens for the bag, and the brand I purchased had a free website where you could make templates. Now side note: I had already had a template however I couldn’t get the image to mirror so it would end up being backward on the bag so I scrapped that and made a new one I ended up with Melissa and Andre and an anchor with rope and a rose in the middle a mixture of a nautical Disney cruise and the beauty and the beast without it overpowering things, at the bottom I added Disney Fantasy, May 2015 I opted for just the month because I won’t find out until 45 days out the exact day of my wedding and why risk it! So here are some pictures of the bags

015_zps6490e782.jpg

016_zps09a70dd3.jpg

017_zpse47e6f6c.jpg

Now the process was simple I printed out the templates then stuck them in the center of the bag put the iron on (the only oopsie was my old iron was too weak and did not cut it so I bought a shark iron and it was the best thing I ever did and got the job done!) after ironing it on the paper lifted off and here is a final look:

022_zps268c1b9c.jpg

I also made a bag for me to have to keep wedding related items in:

020_zps9597b210.jpg

Now I don’t know if they are done my fiancé thinks they look fine but I feel like they are missing something but I am not sure what so I will continue to look around but any suggestions are appreciated!
Now the other thing I purchased (busy wedding favor weekend) was these wooden rings from Lowes (I saw this idea on another Disboard wedding PJ I am not sures who but thank you for the idea!)

025_zpsb7fa49b4.jpg

028_zps7fcda55b.jpg

Wooden rings

And then with that huge hobby lobby gift card I purchased some brown twine and made little life rings by unscrewing the gold hooks out of the ring and then wrapping it in twine and putting a little dot of hot glue to stick the end too and then repeat three times, they came out so cute!!! Now their purpose is to be my wedding favor bags labels, so I will write the last name and state room number, now to double ensure it gets to the right place I will probably put some kind of label on the back because I have heard of bags going astray and I would hate for that to happen or I may hand deliver them decisions decisions!
And here is the final product!

029_zps07cfb819.jpg

030_zps2dd3ce8f.jpg

031_zpsf2a5dca8.jpg

034_zpscfa72b92.jpg

037_zpse42318b2.jpg

Now while browsing Michaels (dangerous!) I found these little dollar frames in gold and then an idea struck me! Table numbers now I am going to put a prince and princess picture in each frame with a table number (now I am not asking whether or not I can bring these because I have heard mixed things the wedding coordinators love to say no but once on board they love to say yes so I figure bring them and if the onboard coordinator says they can’t place them my bridesmaid will place them right when the dining room opens I am hoping they do it for me so we will see )! also I found these anchor name card tags so on each plate will be their name plus a little note saying thanks for join us now I just bought the supplies and haven’t started working on it yet but once I do I will make sure to take pictures, I will just make a bunch of table signs because I can’t turn in my seating chart until 45 days out and that will determine how many I take but I can write everyone’s name and little letter and then last minute put a corresponding table number! I am very excited about this little project it will let the whole dining room know who is here for the wedding!

Next up: Cake topper, hand sanitizers

Let me know what you think!

RE: Wooden Rings …
This is what I did, exact same thing … and YEP, my bags were delivered to wrong rooms. I even wrote on both sides … I had instructions inside the box that was delivered to the ship. I'm not sure how much more you could possibly do to be sure that it doesn't happen to you! Good Luck!

Hello!
Yes another coordinator they seem to change a lot, when I first read the boards I believe it was Shanda, then it was Meredith and now Kaitlyn and I am sure there were others before that!

That is so unfortunate about all that! That is my biggest fear that I will spend time on a seating chart with Kaitlyn and then it will not be followed, I was thinking during my meet and greet thing stressing it to the onboard coordinator to pass onto the dining team!

So you had the ten top or did they change that too and if so how close were your guest and how far was your one table and I hope that your guest weren't too upset by this and realized it was Disney mess up not yours!

Thank you for the information much appericated

Melissa

My husband's family was upset … they were the only table left out so it's understandable. But, in all honesty. Don't lose sleep over it. Just make sure that they know your intentions as to what you would like and to stick with it.

Hi everyone :wave2:

Oh my gosh! Im going to be a Disney bride!!! Well not actually a bride as I'm already married but I'm having a vow renewal on the Disney Dream 3 night Bahamian Cruise 28th August 2015!!

My amazing hubby paid off our cruise balance the other day and decided while he was at it to enquire about a vow renewal ceremony - there was a space left so he booked it and was going to surprise me but was then so excited he told me what he had done!

I'm so happy that I know because it means I get a whole year of dreaming and planning our special day take 2 :)

I've started my planning journal already - please come and check it out here

Hi all I think my introductory post got missed in the planning excitement :rotfl:

So just moving it here so you all know I said hi :wave2:

Ive been busy reading everything I can for the last few days and plans are coming together.

I've had some unbelievable luck and I have a professional wedding photographer in our FE group who has offered to take our photos for free :cool1: I'm feeling so lucky right now!

Anyway understandably this is his vacation and he's happy to help out with the ceremony on board but has plans for castaway cay day and doesn't know if he'll have time to fit in a shoot on that day.

So my question is can I book my shutters session but have it for Castaway Cay and not the ceremony?

RE: Wooden Rings …
This is what I did, exact same thing … and YEP, my bags were delivered to wrong rooms. I even wrote on both sides … I had instructions inside the box that was delivered to the ship. I'm not sure how much more you could possibly do to be sure that it doesn't happen to you! Good Luck!

I was wondering whose that was!! I knew I saw it browsing the boards but for the life of me couldn't remember thanks for the idea!

Yeah I don't know how much more clear you can get I think I might hand deliver them either at dinner or right before I don't want to take chances!

Hi all I think my introductory post got missed in the planning excitement :rotfl:

So just moving it here so you all know I said hi :wave2:

So my question is can I book my shutters session but have it for Castaway Cay and not the ceremony?

Hi Emma. I just wanted to say welcome :). My wedding date is still upcoming, so I won't weigh in on the photo choices. Happy planning!

Ashley

Hi Melissa,

I was talking to a cast member who recommended renting a bus to transport guests to and from the ship and handing the gift bags out on the bus. I priced a bus company Lisa recommended and it worked out to about $20/pp roundtrip for the bus. Just an idea...

Hey All,

I was just wondering if anyone knows how many people can be accommodated at Palo? I have about 32 people for our wedding on the Dream and I'm hoping that we can arrange for us to all dine together the night of the wedding...does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank You :)

Hi Lauren,

We want to do this to, but under current rules, it is near impossible. All of your guests would need to be booked more than 120 days out in stateroom classes that allowed them to reserve Palo 120 days out to get the same reservation time which is unlikely. The best case I have read here is where brides with smaller parties have squeezed into Palo's largest table which you could book yourself and optimistically seats 18 (they say 16). I was advised to dine at Palo with my DH earlier and then meet the group in the scheduled dining room and chat/drink with them through their dinner later. I hope this changes.

Hey All, I was just wondering if anyone knows how many people can be accommodated at Palo? I have about 32 people for our wedding on the Dream and I'm hoping that we can arrange for us to all dine together the night of the wedding...does anyone have any suggestions? Thank You :)

We have also tried to do this. Have about the same number of people as you.

We went around and around with DCL, wedding rep, and directly with the ship. In our case the answer was always no. Palo has a very small kitchen and palo staggers all diners and reservations to take the load off the kitchen. The most you can get in at the same time is the private table. Which of course will not fit your guest size.
Even if everyone tried booking on their own...you still won't end up getting the same dining time.

We tried everything we could to get our party into palo any night together. As it would then be more like a sit down reception meal with our guest.

Even went to the extreme of trying to buy the restaurant out for a night...and Disney still said no
No clue what the buyout would cost...if Disney would even allow it.
Buy out is usually the cost to run the restaurant for the night and what their average income for a night is.
With palo charging a small fee per guest...can't imagine the cost to be that extreme.

We even said that we would pay more per guest and do a set menu
So ship would have plenty of notice and could prepare the same dish for everyone.
That was a no as well. Due to limited prep time and ships logistics.

However, for what we were told Disney does not want to close or shut palo to other passengers onboard. Based on past experiences the other guest backlash is just not worth any cost to Disney. Followed by the fact palo usually books out quickly.

Disney use to hire out palo for private events...back when Disney had a group department. As we know of a group that hired it out when holding a convention on aboard the ship. But it looks like that option went away when Disney got rid of their group department

We spent about 5 months of back and forth...trying to do what ever to work this out. And we still got told no

Though it really comes down to who you speak with at Disney. For us...we just could not find that person who would say "yes"
I suggest you try as hard as you can...you might get a different answer

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter