Disney College Program friendly colleges?

lesliekatya

Mouseketeer
I'm sorry if this has been asked before. I looked, but I didn't find anything. Are there any colleges that are particularly friendly towards the Disney College Program? Lots of kids going in, and people to help you through the process? I'm assuming colleges that have popular study abroad programs already make it a little easier on kids who are leaving for a semester, but I was hoping to find universities that might make the college program process a little easier. We are just starting to look into colleges and have no idea where to start. Thank you in advance!

What does your DD want to study? If it's hospitality, she could go to University of Central Florida's Rosen College of Hospitality and work at WDW, or do the college program.

It really depends on what they are studying.

My school wasn't against us doing it and would help us out but you basically either did it before you got serious in your degree or after you graduated.

I know people who went to Drexel and they require a semester of work so for them it is no problem and doesn't throw off school too much.

My friends in the CP went to schools that offered a ton of online classes so they just took those during the program and it was no problem.

None that I know of help with the application process.

I don't know that the program exists anymore, but if you can find information about a school that had Disney College Program ambassadors, that would be a good place to start. These are students who completed a CP and are now company reps to recruit others.

The best way to get information though is to understand what they want to study, and speak with the appropriate adviser. Since they are the ones who will help with schedule planning, they will understand best how to either remain a student during the CP or take a semester off without delaying graduation (since I assume those are what you are looking for)

Larger state schools will probably have a system already in place just because of the number of students in different life stages going through the institution.

Don't discount smaller schools either. I went to a very small (500 student) university and spoke with my adviser early on about what would be necessary to graduate on time while taking a semester off for a different internship. We sat down and worked out a potential 8 semester plan that he then went over and made adjustments to based on when classes were offered. I didn't end up taking the internship, but because of this planning I was able to graduate a semester early.

The biggest hurdle you may run into (since planning around a semester/year is relatively easy) is things like internship credits (not every school considers the DCP an appropriate internship) and financial aid (Schools may not grant aid to part time students, and 6 months without attending so many classes will start the repayment timeline, something to watch for if doing the DCP for a full year)

While you are looking at colleges, I would be sure to focus on what your child wants to study before looking at extras like the DCP. Once you've found schools that offer something similar to what they are interested in, then start going after those extras. And also remember that just because something hasn't been done before doesn't mean it can't be done now. Someone can always pioneer an initiative so that others can benefit in the future

I did my CP in 2012. I see you're from the area around Chicago so it seems worth mentioning that I met a lot of people from Michigan who were from all different schools. They seem to be very DCP friendly up there. I went to UNC. The semester before I applied, they actually sent over 30 students. The bookstore even had a Disney and UNC themed football t-shirt. Very DCP friendly

Not Pace University NYC! They wouldn't give me credit for the internship so I'm just taking a leave of absence and making up the credits through online summer courses.

I don't know that the program exists anymore, but if you can find information about a school that had Disney College Program ambassadors, that would be a good place to start. These are students who completed a CP and are now company reps to recruit others.

They unfortunately got rid of the ambassadors program. Sometimes DCP will travel to internship fairs.

On the credit thing I ended up not taking credit for mine even though my school would have let me. I didn't see the point of paying so much for what would be an elective credit. I only got credit offered because I also was taking a Disney sponsored course that was in my field. I have friends who were also required to take the DCP classes in order to get credit and that the internship itself was not enough.

Thank you all for all the advice. My daughter would like to go into robotic engineering (and eventually imagineering), and I can imagine most schools being very difficult about taking off a semester. We're really just starting the process of looking for a college - totally overwhelmed right now. I was hoping maybe schools in Florida have a Disney feeder program or something. :rotfl:

I don't think colleges really care if you take a semester off! The issue is if you want that college to accept credits for classes taken at DCP. Many don't accept those classes. I suppose you could take some online classes, from the college, but that's going to be a tough thing to do when you're working full time! I know of many kids that just took the semester off, and returned to school...took a few extra credits each semester to make up for that lost one.

Thank you all for all the advice. My daughter would like to go into robotic engineering (and eventually imagineering), and I can imagine most schools being very difficult about taking off a semester. We're really just starting the process of looking for a college - totally overwhelmed right now. I was hoping maybe schools in Florida have a Disney feeder program or something. :rotfl:

I would look at UCF. There's literally a Space Mountain ride vehicle in the Engineering Building because former students helped design it!

I go to LSU and it was a pain in the rear getting everything taken care of for my scholarship and such but it all worked out. Sometimes it felt like I was the first student in the history of the university to do DCP which surely was not the case. I did have to pay the usual student fees for the semester I missed which was a couple hundred bucks. It was a semester off for me, not anything for credit. I'll still graduate on time due to carrying a heavier course load. It was all worth it.

My son will be a HS junior in the fall and wants to study engineering somewhere and also become an imagineer. Does anyone know any current DCP participants that might be headed down this path now and what their experience has been at their school?

Look for engineering schools with Co-op programs...many of them have them...you are not expected to graduate in 4 years, though.
Also look at the College Confidential discussion forums for college advice.

I don't think there's a specific list, you just have to look at the college's website. I know the school I will be attending in the fall is very DCP friendly, but I found that out after doing a bit of research on their site.

I don't think colleges really care if you take a semester off! The issue is if you want that college to accept credits for classes taken at DCP. Many don't accept those classes. I suppose you could take some online classes, from the college, but that's going to be a tough thing to do when you're working full time! I know of many kids that just took the semester off, and returned to school...took a few extra credits each semester to make up for that lost one.

This was my experience a million years ago. My college would not give me credit for the program but did not have any issues with me taking a semester off to do it. I was still able to graduate on time via a combination of credits from AP exams and taking some classes worth more than the regular credit hours. I believe I was the first student from my college to do the program so it took a little bit of work on my part to explain what it was all about but in the end it really didn't matter since I didn't get any credit.

I get my pre-internship work experience from working for Disney, but no credit hours. I'm currently doing seasonal. If you have a place to live, it's great because I won't be behind in school and save a lot of rent money!

I'm sorry if this has been asked before. I looked, but I didn't find anything. Are there any colleges that are particularly friendly towards the Disney College Program? Lots of kids going in, and people to help you through the process? I'm assuming colleges that have popular study abroad programs already make it a little easier on kids who are leaving for a semester, but I was hoping to find universities that might make the college program process a little easier. We are just starting to look into colleges and have no idea where to start. Thank you in advance!
I would say any school that encourages/helps with internships, whether they have specific experience with Disney or not, should be a good fit. I chose a college that encourages internship and study abroad opportunities because I know they'll be able to support me through the semester away from my home school. If anything, that's a good question to ask in your admissions interview!

My DD just did her DCP right after graduation. That way she didn't have to worry about missing any school. Unfortunately, she was in the Spring 2020 program which was cut short due to COVID. But she did enjoy her 2 months! Luckily she got to experience it since who knows when the program might come back.

My DD just did her DCP right after graduation. That way she didn't have to worry about missing any school. Unfortunately, she was in the Spring 2020 program which was cut short due to COVID. But she did enjoy her 2 months! Luckily she got to experience it since who knows when the program might come back.

I'm considering applying to DCP after my graduation next summer! What was your daughter's experience like? Did she sign up for any of the classes to see what they were like, or did she skip them since she'd earned her degree already? Was anyone else there in the same boat as her?

I'm considering applying to DCP after my graduation next summer! What was your daughter's experience like? Did she sign up for any of the classes to see what they were like, or did she skip them since she'd earned her degree already? Was anyone else there in the same boat as her?
She had a wonderful time in the 2 months she was able to do it. She was merchandise in Animal Kingdom. Since she had just graduated, she didn't need to take any classes. Her one roommate was also a recent graduate. I say it is easier to do once you graduated because you don't have to worry about taking time off from school and trying to fit in online classes with a busy work schedule.
Hopefully DCP will be back up and running by the time you want to apply-good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!