Disney cancels many summer Galactic Starcruiser voyages

I think they must have numbers that indicate they are close to saturating the market for the expensive star wars immersion experience.
They seem to be testing a compromise and sending it to a wide variety of potential guests.
Yes...I think I just said that basically in my other comment :)

Goodness.
I'm sorry I just don't understand why you're quoting me in particular as opposed to the prior poster who brought up them not getting the e-mail. You seem to be talking about a different topic but also repeating what I had just said so I guess I would say you're preaching to the choir. I get what you're saying and don't disagree :)

The offer appears to be only WDW Resort Hotels, not the DVC properties.
I think they are attempting to sell a compromise between one part of a family that is Star Wars or die, and the rest who want a typical theme park vacation including a nice pool.
Or people who are coming some distance and don't want to just make a 2-nite trip. The offer is meant to lure them into staying on-property for 2 more nights. (And yes, I got the offer. I'm an OoS AP holder, and if they have been tracking my family's merch purchases for any length of time, they know we are SW fans, too. However, we have no interest in a multiday immersive LARP experience.)

While I think that pricing strategy may be effective for some Americans, I'm not sure it will work all that well for overseas visitors, who would seem to be the ripest target audience for the post-pandemic GS experience.

Most foreign visitors stay in Orlando for at least 2 weeks, but most often stay in offsite lodgings that are included with their airfare packages, because that is MUCH more affordable. If the packages quote a WDW stay, it's normally for the whole trip, and that is super-expensive in comparison, even at a value.

I expect to see a reboot or retheming of this area.
I don't think they can suddenly cut the cost without some sort of change to it.
it looked really fun, but way over priced.

It appears that Disney World cancelled many voyages in July-September this coming summer and is offering to rebook guests with a 50% discount. What do you think is the cause of this? Are there major changes in the works for the Galactic Starcruiser?
I am confused by this. I was trying to book in July for my daughter and me. Looks like the dates are not released past April. Wondering how people have booked for the summer.

I only see booking available through September. Is that normal. I've never been interested in this but also feel the lifespan of an experience like this would be pretty short. Was there previously booking available past September or is that new?

I only see booking available through September. Is that normal. I've never been interested in this but also feel the lifespan of an experience like this would be pretty short. Was there previously booking available past September or is that new?
Nope September is the furthest booking they’ve offered so far.

If they plan to remodel/redo something it would make sense they would shut off bookings past September. Guess we will see going forward.

I know people joke about the hotel having a pool and I was ridiculed early on for suggesting it but we did do the Galactic Starcruiser and I can still see how a pool could totally work and the reasoning for needing it. First, how cool would it be to swim in a pool in outer space (a la Passengers) or how easy would it have been to have built the Climate Simulator more out into a pool area? Second, the reason for needing it. My BIL has 4 kids, 18, 14 yo twins and a 4 yo. The 18 yo is totally into Star Wars and they were thinking about the Starcruiser for his birthday. They actually decided against it after hearing our thoughts. The 4 yo would have had a very difficult time with the experience as is, which therefore would have made for a very stressful experience for the parents, as the whole “cruise” is very intense and non-stop. If there was a pool where they could take the 4 yo for some much needed downtime and a break from the action, I totally would have suggested they try it out.

My 6 year-old loved spending time stacking rocks in the Climate Simulator, it was a great way to get downtime from the sensory overload (and led to a special experience with those rocks with one of the Sajas). But, we went in late October. I could very much understand someone not wanting to spend time in the Climate Simulator in August. An indoor pool would have been cool, especially if it was as well-themed as the rest of the ship, but I understand why they didn't include it. There's already so much to do in just 2 days.

I completely get why this hotel might be downgraded to something less interactive/immersive, but it's a shame. I had my doubts but it was a really special experience that you can't understand until you experience it yourself. I'm grateful we got to enjoy it the way the Imagineers envisioned it.

I'm torn because on one hand I want Disney to continue to invest in these types of "out-of-the-box" creative adventures. But on the other hand I think the project was a little ambitious for this moment in time, and the uncertain economic climate will certainly keep bookings low.
I agree with you on this. I think the timing was terrible. Not Disney's fault. Just pandemic made this unaffordable, and even without the pandemic, the cost is extremely high, even for massive Star Wars fans. I don't think it's a total bust yet. Probably just needs a bit more pixie dust.

I agree with you on this. I think the timing was terrible. Not Disney's fault. Just pandemic made this unaffordable, and even without the pandemic, the cost is extremely high, even for massive Star Wars fans. I don't think it's a total bust yet. Probably just needs a bit more pixie dust.
Travel in general sure hasn't seemed to be hurting because of the pandemic (outside that early phase).

Travel in general sure hasn't seemed to be hurting because of the pandemic (outside that early phase).

This is true, in general, of course, but the Star Wars experience, I wouldn't place under general. It's an ungodly splurge, even for Star Wars fans, people are still struggling financially. Even for those who can spend that kind of cash, it's going to need to be spectacular for that price.

I sort of feel guilty. I'm a big SW fan but I this experience or voyage (or whatever TWDC labels it), just isn't my thing. I've attended every single feature film on opening weekend including that God-awful Clone Wars animated movie. I've never even contemplated booking this experience after seeing the early promotions and the "experience" TWDC planned to offer. It's just not my deal. But, because it isn't my deal, now others are missing out too.

I feel so badly for those folks that lost their reservation and cannot re-book for whatever reason they may have. Cancellation for these guests really stinks, especially when you know there is no Act of God or circumstance that is outside the control of TWDC.

I think we will see a slow down this year. Remember a lot people's travel plans usually are booked well in advance. Disney doesn't give out dining offers just cause. Bookings are soft for spring and summer.

I sort of feel guilty. I'm a big SW fan but I this experience or voyage (or whatever TWDC labels it), just isn't my thing. I've attended every single feature film on opening weekend including that God-awful Clone Wars animated movie. I've never even contemplated booking this experience after seeing the early promotions and the "experience" TWDC planned to offer. It's just not my deal. But, because it isn't my deal, now others are missing out too.

I feel so badly for those folks that lost their reservation and cannot re-book for whatever reason they may have. Cancellation for these guests really stinks, especially when you know there is no Act of God or circumstance that is outside the control of TWDC.
Maybe Disney should feel guilty for not designing an experience more people can afford.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter