Disney cancels many summer Galactic Starcruiser voyages

Beeble

Earning My Ears
It appears that Disney World cancelled many voyages in July-September this coming summer and is offering to rebook guests with a 50% discount. What do you think is the cause of this? Are there major changes in the works for the Galactic Starcruiser?

From the article I read on WDW News Today, it's because bookings are way down and the "cruises" had "low occupancy" on those dates. Not surprising considering how massively expensive those stays are.

It follows a story they had from last October that said demand had fallen significantly and that the resort was giving rooms away for free to get publicity.

They might be running out of Star Wars fans who are willing to pay $6,000+ for the experience.

I love Star Wars, but this has zero appeal to me, never mind the price. For me the main issue is being trapped inside... nope nope nope.
Same. We could afford it but I could never justify the cost plus reading all the reviews it just sounds like being trapped. I can handle a tour of a couple hours but no way could I handle something so immersive.

We’re going in June and I can’t wait. That said, I don’t expect it to last in its existing form beyond this year. I’m sure it’s going to be an incredible experience, but at its current price point, I think most people will be one-and-done.

I’m not sure what I hope they do with it.. seasonal operation? Day pass experience? Convert to a normal hotel..? (Add a pool and such).

Time will tell. I expect some discounts to be announced for the summer/fall as well. Hopefully before the final payment date of our sailing 😂

We’re going in June and I can’t wait. That said, I don’t expect it to last in its existing form beyond this year. I’m sure it’s going to be an incredible experience, but at its current price point, I think most people will be one-and-done.

I’m not sure what I hope they do with it.. seasonal operation? Day pass experience? Convert to a normal hotel..? (Add a pool and such).

Time will tell. I expect some discounts to be announced for the summer/fall as well. Hopefully before the final payment date of our sailing 😂
I could see it being an interesting dinner theater type thing... a themed character dinner... drinks and an interactive adventure... maybe even remove the overnight aspect. Escape rooms and those type of 'solve a riddle' experience are becoming popular, at least around me

I've said it before ... that Disney should have just built a Star Wars themed 'Adventurers Club' and charged a cover price as well as make a killing on the drinks. They could change some of the Starcruiser over to this, but what do you do with all the guest rooms as the building seemed planned around a cruise ship design

I love SW too, but yeah, this doesn't have any appeal for me, either.

For one thing it's too expensive, but setting it during the sequel movies was a big mistake, too. The hotel was announced before The Last Jedi came out in 2017, when the studio was giddy over the huge success of The Force Awakens. The sequel movies looked like they were going to be massive.

Then the next two sequel movies came out and fan reaction was, to put it mildly, severely mixed. I didn't hate them but they came nowhere close to living up to the potential of Force Awakens and the story left me very disappointed.

I feel that eventually the Starcruiser will become a themed deluxe hotel and drop most if not all of the roleplaying. I can't see it still being a full fledged roleplaying experience ten years from now.

I also think Batuu will eventually be rethemed to the original trilogy, although that will take a lot more work.

I love Star Wars, but this has zero appeal to me, never mind the price. For me the main issue is being trapped inside... nope nope nope.

It’s a trap!

Weird. Why would people not want to be trapped indoors in a hotel with no pool in the summer in Florida?
Better to be in the AC with no pool than outside in the heat with a pool.

We are going in March. I am excited, but it’s definitely expensive. We are Star Wars fans, and I think the role playing will be fun. We are normally reserved and don’t do this ever. However, I do think each to his own. There are a lot of things people do on their vacations or Disney vacations that have no interest for us, but I am glad that others enjoy it. I do think they are going to have to reduce the number of “sailings”, maybe restrict it to holidays, weekends, and reduced number of days in the summer.

I for one would love to go but will never be able to because of the price. I think it's a bit odd that there wasn't more forward thinking on this. One, that most people would just love to stay at a Star Wars themed hotel in general and two, that you could make the roleplay experience voluntary and an additional add on pretty easily with scheduled events in non-public places and I don't know, special pins.

I will never understand not including a pool though.

It would be cool if once a week they did the expensive experience as they have it now where you role play and have the whole nine yards, then the rest of the week just have a less expensive regular hotel with the restaurant experience open.
And the bar. (Is there a bar?)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter