Disney cancels many summer Galactic Starcruiser voyages

I feel like there's a difference between most Disney villains, who are usually focused on a single Princess/hero, and then Space Nazis. Like even Darth Vader, while a definite bad guy, wasn't the one calling out orders to destroy entire planets. I just don't get it.

Same reason why any of the villains are cool.. Evil Queen.. Ursula etc. it is not just Star Wars. Look at how people clamor for a villain's experiences or characters. They have style... great costumes and in the case of non Star Wars.... great songs etc. lol... although I would not mind a Darth Vader soft shoe....

Oh, no, I love me some Villain experiences where you get to see them and such - but that's a far cry from actually thinking they are in the right and wanting to roleplay for them. I am not sure how the "story" on the Galactic Starcruiser goes, but I hazard to say that the First Order does not and cannot win. They probably don't want guests to be on the losing side, which the villains always are.

I know a lot of Star Wars fans who really don't get what's so bad about the Empire (maybe not the First Order but most of these fans jsut hate all things sequel trilogy anyway). It's not just thinking they're cool - they are cool - it's actually philosophically siding with them.

I feel like there's a difference between most Disney villains, who are usually focused on a single Princess/hero, and then Space Nazis. Like even Darth Vader, while a definite bad guy, wasn't the one calling out orders to destroy entire planets. I just don't get it.

And yes - there is a big difference in the tone of the stories that we are discussing. Disney villains come off as that inept, perennial loser, who will never really get their way but try anyway - it's just their nature. I mean, I love Maleficent and have lots of decor with her, but I still cheer when Prince Phillip puts a sword through her neck!

Oh, no, I love me some Villain experiences where you get to see them and such - but that's a far cry from actually thinking they are in the right and wanting to roleplay for them. I am not sure how the "story" on the Galactic Starcruiser goes, but I hazard to say that the First Order does not and cannot win. They probably don't want guests to be on the losing side, which the villains always are.

I know a lot of Star Wars fans who really don't get what's so bad about the Empire (maybe not the First Order but most of these fans jsut hate all things sequel trilogy anyway). It's not just thinking they're cool - they are cool - it's actually philosophically siding with them.
I will not get defensive about my Power and Control red saber lol...
I did not know you could choose to be on the "bad side" in the GS , that is interesting like how "bad" you gonna get?

I didn't either, which is why it surprised me.

Having the saber I get. I don't get wanting to see the Empire/FO win. 🙂
100%. I love Vader and the Clone Troopers and even Phasma and that one almost couple from Andor because they are interesting characters. But I would never want them to win. :confused3

Also, add me and my friend group to the "would totally love to go but will never be able to afford it" category.

100%. I love Vader and the Clone Troopers and even Phasma and that one almost couple from Andor because they are interesting characters. But I would never want them to win. :confused3

Also, add me and my friend group to the "would totally love to go but will never be able to afford it" category.

Well, Clone Troopers aren't bad guys - at least not until the Inhibitor Chips kick in.

I have a feeling the first order stuff stays pretty tame, just resistance stuff with different wording. Sort of like, you'll do the same game at a "communication panel," but you're either fixing it for the resistance to use, or breaking it so they can't.
It's definitely a choice to have it (and I'm guessing Jenny went for it only because she thought it would be a path less picked, so more unique content) but I wonder if they're purposely steering guests away because they don't know how to make it a satisfying path. Either way, I remember the promo for it talking about 3 paths at least (resistance, first order, and one with like the singer? the unique character?) so to straight up not give people a choice is... odd for the money spent.

The Resistance had it coming.

Literally 30 years earlier, their forebears defeated a galaxy-spanning empire filled with fascists and pogroms. And with that victory, they must have immediately demilitarized and ignored any future threat, as it grew into a "First Order" where everyone could see. I would refuse to roleplay an organization with that staggering level of incompetence. I'd almost rather be evil.

The Resistance had it coming.

Literally 30 years earlier, their forebears defeated a galaxy-spanning empire filled with fascists and pogroms. And with that victory, they must have immediately demilitarized and ignored any future threat, as it grew into a "First Order" where everyone could see. I would refuse to roleplay an organization with that staggering level of incompetence. I'd almost rather be evil.

The Resistance didn't do that, the Republic did. Leia's Resistance was the voice of dissent AGAINST demilitarization, but the New Republic had no appetite for continuing to fight. Blame Mon Mothma for that one.

The middle age people would line up for an experience themed to the original trilogy.
I predict that eventually Batuu and the hotel will both be rethemed to the OT. That's the SW that's proved enduring.

They put Batuu and GC together when it looked like the sequels were going to be hugely popular, based on The Force Awakens' success. Then Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker came out.

I predict that eventually Batuu and the hotel will both be rethemed to the OT. That's the SW that's proved enduring.

They put Batuu and GC together when it looked like the sequels were going to be hugely popular, based on The Force Awakens' success. Then Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker came out.

The sequels are hugely popular - just not with some of the old-school fan base. In 20 years they will have endured too. They're not going anywhere.

That said, tying any of it to a specific timeline was a mistake. I say lose that and put a spinner in the middle of the land with alternating X-Wings and TIE Fighters as ride vehicles. Rename it Star Wars Land and run a loop of John Williams music.

Nah they'll never change Batuu from Batuu. Because 999 out of 1000 people that show up just know that it's Star Wars Land and don't know what Batuu is or what movie it's from.
Agree, Batuu is exactly what it was meant to be: a timeless, generic Star Wars themed land. That's why I like it, because it's not from this one specific movie or moment. I want to be able to take my mom who knows nothing of Star Wars but the basics and have her be able to enjoy it. And she did!

Nah they'll never change Batuu from Batuu. Because 999 out of 1000 people that show up just know that it's Star Wars Land and don't know what Batuu is or what movie it's from.
I think many of those people would feel a much deeper connection and be willing to visit again, or consider the themed hotel if it had specific connection to the movies they love so dearly from their youth (the OT).

That said, I agree they aren't changing anything. They've been pretty clear on their commitment to the newer properties.

It's really hard to say "It's not worth it" if you haven't been. I was on the "This is way too expensive" side of things but my kids wanted the voyage as their Christmas gift so I caved and we went. When I stated above that "It's worth every penny" that is not exaggerating at all. The price is easier to understand once you have done it. The food is amazing, the staff is amazing, the storyline is perfect. When a grown man, myself, starts to believe we are actually there and the conflict is really happening then they are doing something right. The actors were top notch and the emotions they showed were about as real as emotions can get. They put 110% into their roles and no one ever broke character. Even small talk with the bartenders was amazing. Not once did I ever feel I was at WDW, even when we took our excursion to Batuu. You just have to be there to understand. I will gladly do it again in a few years even if it's still the same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter